1 1
steve1

Scary stories from the old days?

A demo jump to remember....

We get to the airport for a demo only to find that the aircraft's throttle cable had broken >:(- there we were with only 30 min. to jump time and no plane - stress levels were understandably high!

We see a 206 land and decide to take a chance - we run up to the pilot, begging him to take us up in his plane (chances of success normally 0.1 %). To our surprise, this really cool looking pilot (shades and all)B| says "Sure, as long as you don't mind off-loading some cargo..."

We couldn't say yes quickly enough, and helped him take the door off, then got completely spooked when we saw the cargo - two COFFINS!! (and they weren't empty!):o:o:o

With as much respect as possible, we took the coffins out and leaned the door gingerly against them (all this out in the grass next to the runway), and got in the plane - we were all scared shitless, sitting where there had been coffins only moments before - we felt really bad "disturbing the dead" in order to do the jump - it all seemed so wrong (just how far are you willing to go for your sport?) Needless to say, there was not one word during take-off - just thousand yard stares...:S

As we got airborne, we REALLY got spooked when the most awful smell filled the plane[:/] - we were convinced that it was something left behind by the coffins, or the corpses.......now we were even more quiet - I will never forget the "what the hell are we doing" look on everyone's faces!!

During all this, the pilot says not one word - just flies straight on, looking cool in his shades, calmly pocketing the cash for the flight...B| - this dude could just as well have been Dracula!!

Finally got to the DZ and jumped - a split second after opening there was the loudest thunderclap and lightning strike I have ever heard - really close!:o [:/]There could only be one explanation - this was God deciding to smite the heathens that had disturbed the dead - my heart was in my mouth!!

To our suprise we all survived the jump and landed safely - and within five minutes rain started pelting down - talk about fine timing!Turned out that the pilot had decided to land at our airport to wait out the storm that was on it's way.

We rushed back to the airport to help the pilot re-load his "cargo" and put the door back on, but by the time we got there the coffins and door were gone and so was the plane - suddenly it all seemed like a dream!!

Never found out who the pilot was and have never seen him again - crazy! We then discovered the reason for the smell in the plane - the airport was right next to a sewage farm!!

In retrospect it is all so funny - while it was happening, it was impossible to maintain our cool skydiver images - of course the pilot had no such problem....B|:)

This is the best thread EVER!

Guys, keep these stories coming, this is great!

These are good enough it would be cool to compile them into an actual hardbound book to sell. It would sell too!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

TurnersFalls MA?

That would be the French King bridge (Rt. 2), pretty damn big and high. I know someone who flew a bird dog (Single Engine, high wing tail dragger army spotter plane) under it once. I know someone who BASEd off it (Hi Willy). He didn't get any video because the videographer was filming the skinny dippers when he heard the chute open.

He didn't get any video because the videographer was filming the skinny dippers when he heard the chute open.

:D:D:D

this reminds me on a demo jump to a huge concert on a skiing slope some 3 years ago (i know, i know, not the old days ;-)): instead of concentrating on the landing, i looked at 2 very hot chiks with their big breasts looking up at me out of their tight tops, thus totally forgetting i was near the time to flare... so i flared to late, landed hard, and sprained my ankle, but not enough to not dance the whole night away... but the pain i had in the morning forced me to take 2 pain killers prior to jumping...

mmmm, breasts, got to love them ;)

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Yes, Howard informed me I was wrong about its being the Beech :$. What can I say -- it was a long time ago, and before I got there...

Probably not the smartest stunt ever pulled.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

IGNORANCE IS BLISS - 1974

All of 18 years old, fresh from school, and lining up for a challenge – to complete the military static line course at 1 Para Batallion, S A:)

Having got through the PT course we went through seven days of ground training before doing our first jump! We were DRILLED till all the procedures and checks were coming out of our ears – we practiced exits, canopy control, landings, water landings, tree landings, reserve drills etc. etc. till we could do everything with our eyes closed.

The big day finally arrived – our first jump!! We were all pretty tense, :|but still looking forward to finally doing what we had been trained for. Our course leader then destroyed any confidence that we might have had by calling over a chaplain to pray for us all before undertaking this incredibly dangerous task! :S(thanks!!). It didn’t help that he was standing in front of an ambulance that was on it’s way to the DZ……….[:/]

After a particularly quiet ride to the airport, we were kitted up with our state of the art 28ft. diameter military rounds (NO modifications – just a small hole at the apex – steering by means of risers only!), with trusty front-mount round reserves as back-up - what more could one want?;)

We donned our “lightweight” steel helmets, and walked with a spring in our step in our “jumpers” – heavy duty boots with a one inch thick sole. We were told that because it was our first jump, we were going to get “extra altitude” – all of 800 ft! :)
The chaplain then proceeded to follow all 28 of us into the Dakota :|– he was not going to jump, but was coming along for moral support! The jumps took place in sticks of four, and I was in the second last group – it seemed like forever before my turn came! After each group had jumped, the chaplain gave the remaining jumpers a huge smile and a thumbs up – ok for him – he didn’t have to jump!!

When I finally got to the door, all seven days of ground training went out the window :$– I was shit scared and was doing something very stupid – no-one was going to convince me otherwise!!! I totally screwed up my exit (because I was secretly trying to leave the plane and get back in at the same time!) and somersaulted out the Dak….the canopy opened but with mega line twists, and I spent almost all of my 30 second canopy ride kicking out of them. I remember coming in backwards under my trusty unmodified round flying machine and then thundering in – got up with a smile - I was still alive!!:)
Met up with the rest of the group – we were beside ourselves with joy and relief, and couldn’t stop talking about the jump. A friend of mine confidently declared that jumping an unmodified round from 800 ft and thundering in backwards was DEFINITELY better than sex!! :P (The entire group of 18 year old “hugely experienced” sex machines instantly agreed!):ph34r:

By the end of our ten jump static line course we were ready for anything - we had done jumps from the Dakota as well as the Hercules, two jumps with kit, one night jump and one “show-jump” – our graduation jump where all our parents came to watch. We could PLF backwards, forwards, sideways, though bushes or whatever (if we were seen to even attempt a stand-up we could be thrown off the course!) – it was an incredibly tough yet thorough introduction to parachuting, and in retrospect I am glad I went through it – after those jumps and with that equipment, anything that followed could only be better!

I remember going for my first jump at a civilian club and being totally rattled by the fact that no-one was screaming, stomping, shouting, checking equipment etc…..everyone was trying to RELAX – in the plane, in the air – ALL the time!! Took some getting used to!

Reminds me a lot of the five jumps I made at Ft. Benning in the spring of 1970. I was 19 and full of piss and vinegar. I wrote scared shitless in my jump log for the first one. Actually I was scared shitless for all five. Lot's of great memories.......Steve1

This jump occurred during August 1980 over Eustis Florida. On jump run at 11,0000 feet the twin engine Beechcraft was lumbering in the direction of what turned out to be a very quickly developing thunderstorm north of the DZ. After the cut I followed front and rear floaters (Swede Rundquist, Carey Webb) out into center floater position. Before we could say EFS the plane started to move up and down with intense cycles. I can still see the other eight jumpers lined up holding on to each other with their backs pressed to the roof, eyes big as saucers and their legs moving in a running motion but not touching the floor like a big caterpillar.:o

Then they all crashed to the floor where they could not move. Had it not been for the gravity of the situation it would have been comical. My reaction was to hang on to the plane hoping these cycles would stop so I could let go with out hitting the tail.

Looking to the right I saw the rear floater was gone then a moment later after looking away I felt something to my right and the rear floater was back again. Faster than the thought “How did he do that?” could go through my mind we hit a down cycle and he went up with his legs and arm fully extended over the aircraft still holding on to a handle with one hand then came back down slamming into the side of the plane next to me on the following up cycle.:P

Soon after, at the top of an up cycle, I was slung off of the aircraft along with the front and rear floaters. It is not very often you get to see the topside of the jump plane in freefall but on this jump I watched the Beech disappear into the soup from above.:o

Much of the freefall was spent on my back because of the stinging raindrops but at 5000 feet I saw Swede and we made a two man. Everyone made it back safe and sound but a bit frazzled.:)

we hit a down cycle and he went up with his legs and arm fully extended over the aircraft still holding on to a handle with one hand then came back down slamming into the side of the plane next to me on the following up cycle.

Damn, you can't even get rides like that at Six Flags!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."
  • Like 1

...opening low with a PC and landing in the peas while the rest had a long walk in the swamp.

Oh that is soooo old. Of course... there is one of us accuracy bugz at every DZ! It gets you out of trouble for opening low. Really... try it sometime. '-D

When in doubt, whip it out. If that doesn't work, then
as we always said,

Track for the Peas. ;)
Perfect speed is being there at the goat roast.

Hurrcane Donna 1960 passed east to west across south florida.I was at north perry airport in hollywood,fl.holding my c-180 down during that one.D-47

So you're saying that one belongs in the
"Urban myths in skydiving"
thread?! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Two weeks of training and in jump week at Benning. How many times did we practice, One thousand, Two thousand, three thousand, four thousand...

My first jump is a C-141 and I'm first in the door. I look out the door and I'm thinking, "This ain't no 1250 feet, I can see the leaves on the trees."

Smacked on the ass and as I leave...Did you know it takes a four thousand count to say, "Dear God, please let this son of a bitch open.?" ;)

Jumping into the eye of hurricane Donna may be a myth. The story came to me second hand from Jim Godwin (D-126) and he could have been pulling my leg or Gary Depuis pulled his and it got passed on.:$

I did check on a few things before posting and found that Donna’s path did take it over Deland, Florida in 1960 and based on longitude and latitude coordinates it looks like the eye did pass over the airport. Of course that comes a long way from verifying a myth.

http://www.umbc.edu/ges/Geog480_HurricaneWebPage/fullres1960.html

A clip from a Deland publication.
“Longtime residents still talk about Hurricane Donna, which spun winds in excess of 180 mph before slamming into Southwest Florida and traveling northeast across the state. The eye of the storm in 1960 passed over DeLand with wind gusts of 99 mph, still the highest hurricane winds ever recorded in Volusia. Donna was still at hurricane strength when it veered over Flagler Beach, taking about 80 feet of the Flagler Pier with it.”

Unfortunately they did not mention any parachute jumps.:(

If anyone can confirm or deny this myth please let me know.

Alzheimers must be setting in, your right,I had forgotten that Donna first passed through south florida towards the northwest and into the Gulf and turned back across floida again.South Florida had 120mph winds which did my family Everglades hunting camp in.You can ask Gary about the jump since he is still lurking around Deland some where.He may have done it though,since he jumped off the old Deland Tower 3 stories above the concrete breaking both ankles.He would have been about 16yrs. old then. D-47

Hey I remember that one happening, don't remeber who was involved but I think it was either at PAT or at the old drop zone just north of Markham

Looked up your profile and think I remeber you from the Coldwater dropzone where they used to call me Easy. (Unfortunatley this nick name had every thing to do with motorcycles and not sex life)
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

I posted this in another forum, but thought
I might archive it here, a more 'suitable' place.
B|;)

Years ago when I was in college, I worked as an
Instructor at a good sized DZ in the Midwest...

We had a fairly new Wuffo pilot, trying to build hours.

The guy was wound a little to tight and really
needed to loosen up a bit, :)
especially considering the skydiving environment
of the late 70's.

The DZO was a real laid back, funny guy with an unusual
and dry sense of humor, to say the least! :P

One morning, a young black guy signs up for
the staticline course...
An anomaly back then.

I was in the hangar, teaching him along with a class
of 8-10 other newbies...
When I overhear the new pilot ask the DZO
why you don't often see
Afro-Americans involved in the sport...

The DZO answered,"Too many rednecks I guess..."
And slyly winking at me told the pilot,
"I don't care if Twardo runs the class...
Just don't let him put that guy out...
His old man is a "Grand-Dragon!" ;)

With a concerned look my way,
the pilot nodded in agreement.

Later that afternoon..
In the rush at the end of the day to get
all the students jumped,
our wuffo pilot hero...
Didn't really notice until I had closed the door
on the 182 that the smaller student I had placed
behind his seat was indeed the gentleman
earlier discussed... :|

The "OH SHIT" look on his face was priceless!!!

I could see concerned hesitation in his eyes...
As I patted his shoulder saying,
"Come on.. let's go, 3 more loads before it gets dark!"

...After putting the first three students out
on separate passes,
we're coming around again setting up for jump run.

As I'm guiding the last student into position,
the pilot for the first time ever...
Reaches over and opens the Velcro flap
on his backpack, and studies the static-line
and break cord configuration...

It seemed like he was doing this for my benefit
more than anything else,
since I'm sure he had no idea what he was
looking at anyway...
Could've been welded shut and he wouldn't have
known the difference!

Final corrections given, student poised on the step,
I'm squatting in the jumpmaster position
as I yell over the noise starting the count...

REMEMBER...HARD ARCH...!

READY.....!

SET.......!

I look to the pilot...
Handing him the unhooked end of a static line
from one of the prior students...told him;

"Hold this!" :)
Then returned my attention to the student...
"GOOOOO!!!!"

Mr. Pilot couldn't have had a tighter grip on that hook
if 'he' were out the door, swinging on the end of it! :ph34r:

The student in question, totally unaware
any of this was going on
performed flawlessly!

And stuck around to become a talented regular...
Had a couple hundred jumps there when I finally
graduated school and moved on.

The Skydiverdriver loosened up considerably
in the weeks after!
Often even joining us at the mockup for 'safety meetings'
when jump operations concluded.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I can remember several scary if not stupid things I've witnessed over the years.

1. Lake City, FL - 1981: We were all students and we showed up to jump at this fly-by-night drop zone. The DZ operator, who was also the pilot, was there by himself and didn't have a JM or any other jumpers there. When he found out who had the most jumps among us (12), he made that person the JM while he flew the plane. After we left the plane (via static line), the DZ owner/pilot JMed our 12-jump "JM" while he flew the plane. The first guy down ran the "arrow" for the rest of the students.
2. Somewhere ;), FL - 1982: Drinking beer all day at the DZ including packing, in the plane, and under canopy. We would stuff our jumpsuits with cans of beer and see how many we could guzzle while under canopy. Luckily, the parachutes were much slower then.
3. Somewhere ;), FL - 1984: While doing a Mr. Bill jump, a pilot chute was thrown over the horizontal stab of a 206. The bridle cut the end off the horizontal stab and the pilot barely landed the plane. That one cost me some bucks.
Somewhere ;), OK: 1997: I was doing a tandem when the AAD accidently fired at 1000'. I grabbed the cutaway handle and watched the bag drop off and the reserve begin to inflate. When the reserve began to inflate, I chopped the main. Unfortunately, I forgot to tell the student to let go of the main toggles. All I can say is that I am here to write this.....barely.

There are a couple of more, but I have to wait until the statute of limitations run out. Check back in a couple of years.

2. Somewhere ;), FL - 1982: Drinking beer all day at the DZ including packing, in the plane, and under canopy. We would stuff our jumpsuits with cans of beer and see how many we could guzzle while under canopy. Luckily, the parachutes were much slower then.

Nothing to do with scary, rather a lesson in physics: I took two beers stuffed into my jumpsuit on my 100th. I opened at 10k, took out a beer and popped the tab to celebrate. Three quarters of it promptly squirted up into my face! I waited until I was at 3k before I popped the second - almost nothing lost. There was a lesson in there somewhere...:)