jackieann

First Jump

I disagree with Canuck in USA.
Modern canopies are far too fast for people learn by trial and error. Just look at the 2001 USPA Fatality Summary.
Old school AFF programs were a disaster at teaching canopy skills. Hopefully most AFF DZs are converting to USPA's new Integrated Student Program that teaches more canopy skills.
I also sincerely hope that static-line DZs are going beyond the basics taught in the First Jump Course.
Canopy skills are so complex that it is impossible to teach it all in 5 or 6 jumps. Becoming a safe canopy pilot requires critiques on dozens or landings, etc.
The disadvantage of AFF is that students have to master such a huge chunk of freefall knowledge in such a short period of time that they have few brain cells available for steering their parachute.
The advantage of static-line is that the first few jumps are 90% about steering the parachute.
The perfect instructional program combines the best of all systems. Start out with a tandem or 2 to get the big picture. Do 2 or 3 (or until you master landings) static line jumps, then do 6 or 8 jumps with freefall instructors and polish your solo skills with a coach.
Visiting a wind tunnel can also be helpful.
Rob Warner
Static-Line, PFF and Tandem Instructor

So what's the difference between AFF and AFP?

AFF - first 2 or 3 jumps with 2 instructors, the rest with 1. 7 or 8 levels.

AFP - start off with a couple tandems, then onto an AFF like program only with 1 instructor. I think it generally has more levels than AFF too, even after you get past the tandems.

AFP probably varies a lot from DZ to DZ.

AFP in Skydive Chicago consists of 22 jumps total so you are ready to get your license once the program is completed. 2 Tandems, 16 normal altitude jumps with instructor, 2 LALO jumps from 3,500, and 2 HALO jumps from full altitude with instructor. If I remember correctly, you get video with every jump which seems extremely beneficial as a training aid. Though paying a little more ($1800 if bought all at once, $2370 in 3 jump package purchases, and $2676 if bought in individual jumps), I am glad that I am going through the AFP program and believe that I will have full confidence in my abilities once let loose.
Jesse

<* Spread the Love! *>

I am both an AFF and tandem instructor. This past year I have been teaching the tandem progression method (first 3 jumps are tandem then 4 AFF) This I think has a big advantage over traditional AFF because the first 3 jumps you are there with the student during canopy control giving direct supervision. By the time they progress to the AFF portion canopy control is no longer a big mystery.

Yeah, I did both as well (got up to 10 second delay via SL, subsequently did AFF) and I agree with you guys. On a slightly different note, I have noticed that people who did SL are subsequently much more comfortable doing hop n pops. A lot of AFF graduates never seem to do more than the one required (and its not really that low in the first place, '4 500?).

I suspect that in an aircraft emergency at '2 000 those who did SL progression might be more confident exiting the plane (purely my opinion of course). Wouldn't it be a good idea if they made a hop n pop from '3 500 (or even '3 000) a requirement for the B or C license?

Will

I'm in the middle of my AFF program right now(didn't have S/L as an option at my dropzone). I flunked my level 6 jump a couple of days ago because I had a total mental lock at pull time and misread the JM pointing and waving his arms to the left as "track" rather than "pull". Lost a lot of altitude before being tackled by the JM who pulled my ripcord and we both landed off the dropzone safely (thank god) Serious error on my part---one I don't intend to repeat. The experience definitely got me thinking about skydiving training and the AFF program. I'd performed very well on my level 1-5 jumps and always felt very prepared when I exited the plane. What's the thinking out there on doing more extensive preparation for the upper level jumps where you're really starting to go solo out of the plane? For me it seemed like a BIG (but definitely exciting) transition....and I obviously got overwhelmed in the air by it. Now, I'm trying to get my confidence back and feel good about getting back up there. Any thoughts on asking to work with a specific JM for several jumps???? It seems like it would be really helpful to be with the same person for several levels (if not all of them) so that you're with someone who has a grasp of your skills and how your progressing.

There are mixed opinions on the subject of instructor selection. It was told me by what i think to be a wise man in my FJC to NOT request specific instructors for my AFF jumps. Rather go with the flow as being with different JMs would actually expose me to a greater spectrum of knowledge. I fully beleive he was correct in his advice.

I mean sure if you have the bestt AFF-I around try n keep em, but as a student how do you know? I think its kinda like the Presidnet having a "cabinet" of advisors instead of just one right hand man. I can't speak for everyone, ut the DZ where I trained instructors very commonly ask other intsructors about students previous jumps etc.

Then again i am a LOW time jumper, but I feel i have at least something to say as having been through the training process recently.

Kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

Seedy,
How often are you at Skydive KS? I've been out there pretty much every weekend this summer and I don't think I've met you. I'll ask Jen to point you out next time I'm out there (won't be this weekend though...I'm going to Couch freaks!!!)

Austin