Airhead

CAN You Change DZs While In the Process of Training To Get Your A-License?

I've been encountering some difficulties while trying to get thru my AFP training at my current DZ. A few other students and I were talking about it.
We can be very discouraged due to some unavailability of JMs for us, and a vague sense of disregard that we sometimes feel on occassion.
Currently I am still trying to get in my level 6 jump in AFP.
What do ya think? Thanx.

Hi! Did you get all your training done at the same DZ?
I am in Michigan so weather is part of the issue, but only the tiniest smidgen of the issue. It seems that not many DZs here offer AFF/AFP training, and that is the way that I am going to get my A-License.
Any ideas that'd be helpful to me and others in a similar situation?

You can easily go to any DZ and continue your training, but they're all going to want you to back up a bit.

You can't be at DZ A on a level 6 AFP and expect DZ B to start you right off on on that level. Because really they don't know you, are concerned with your safety, and will want to see how you handle yourself on a simplier dive before picking up where you left off.

Also if they have a different training program they'll need to work you into the middle of that.

1. call the other dz.

2. carry your log book with you and videos if you have.

3. if you told your instructor that you are going to do that, ask him the favor of making a signed letter about your improvement and show it to your new instructor or JM.

that should work. Thats what my instructor does when somebody leaves Panama and wants to continue training in the US.

Most probably is that they will take you back one level just to be sure.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

>CAN You Change DZs While In the Process of Training To Get Your A-License?

Yep. I went from a cessna SL DZ to an Otter AFF DZ. Graduated AFF in two jumps, then went back to the cessna DZ where I was still a student. Was wierd, but worked.

Hmmmm...
Thanx! Yeah, I can understand why they'd want to take me back a level or two to see what I know and what kind student I am. That makes sense.
My nephew is kind of in the same boat as me. But he's been in a S/L program and has been dragging it out for about 2 years. Now that I AM also into the sport(1st jump was this past July)...I've been trying to motivate HIM to "get a move on" too. Now, HE'S considering going to Florida over the winter and knocking out the whole process w/in a week or two. But that is NOT an option for me.
I'd like to continue jumping as late into the unseasonable cooler weather as possible and I don't want that to hold me up in getting my A-License.
I guess I'm a die-hard kinda gal! Am I in the minority in feeling this way? :)

There's a DZ down by Jackson, (Tehomish??), that might be doing AFF.
Or, ROAD TRIP!, spend a few weekends at Chicagoland or SD Chicago & knock out as many as possible over those weekends.
SD Chicago is the birthplace of AFP so you may not have any troubles with the switch.
Good Luck whatever you decide. To bad you can't trip it to FL with the nephew.B|
BSBD

'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

We can be very discouraged due to some unavailability of JMs for us, and a vague sense of disregard that we sometimes feel on occassion.

If the DZ where you started isn't making you feel welcome and like they are thrilled to have you, then investigate other DZs around you. You should be welcomed and made to feel like part of the family while you are a student...it is what makes this sport so great.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Anne

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

Hi: Due to my work travels, I took my AFF at several DZs. Had no problem and feel like I learned more because of diferent instrucors. Now it is nice to go back to these DZs and be treated like an old friend. Good luck, just don't burn bridges.

1. call the other dz.
2. carry your log book with you and videos if you have.
3. if you told your instructor that you are going to do that, ask him the favor of making a signed letter about your improvement and show it to your new instructor or JM.

4. Also remember to take along your A-license proficiency card with everything that you've done signed off. I had to do this when I moved across the country after my first 18 jumps. It was no problem at all.
Good luck to you! -Lolie

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

If you really want to do AFF/AFP, I believe both Napoleon and Tecumseh offer programs, as well. Or Skydive Chicago isn't too far from the Michigan area, and I believe they're open pretty late into the season.

Like Billvon, I went from a SL training program to an AFF program (Winter vacation in Arizona), and graduated pretty quickly. The switch was pretty easy. They gave me about 1 1/2 hours of "refresher"/"Transition" training then put me on a "checkout" dive where all I had to do was fall, so that they could evaluate where I should be in the program.

When I came back to my home DZ (Great Lakes Skydivers, btw, if you want to consider going the SL route), they had me do the normal jumps for an out-of-current skydiver, and then released me to solo.

Hi Fred!
Ummm, I just sent an open letter to a Mt. Pleasant, Michigan DZ in the skydive talk forum...weird, I know, but I'm on-line, and cannot access them otherwise now...I'm trying to get a logbook, My DZ doesn't have any - and I need one!
I've decided to log all my jumps into it, and then probably get a hold of Gobles or Napolean to finish up my AFP there. But honestly, I feel worried about leaving my first DZ and finishing up somewhere else... Ya know what I mean?

Gobles is Great Lakes Skydivers. They only do SL.
www.greatlakesskydivers.com
It's a great place to jump though and I highly recommend a visit once you've completed student training.
(nostalgic: I did 1st & 2nd jumps at GLS. and this time of year with the leaves changing the view is awsome!).
Have Fun!
Blue Skies/Black Death. Larry.
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

But honestly, I feel worried about leaving my first DZ and finishing up somewhere else... Ya know what I mean?

I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think it's that unusual. I've hopped around a bit and known of others who've done the same.

You'll often learn knew things at a different dropzone and each place tends to have it's own vibe. If you don't feel comfortable at your current DZ, odds are there's one out there that you will.

But you don't have to make any decision right away, just drive out to another DZ and see what they're like.

I'm trying to get a logbook, My DZ doesn't have any - and I need one!

You can make it.

Log book must have:
Jump No.
Date
Equipment Used
Maneuvers
Jump Altitude
Freefall Delay
Surface wind
Distance to target
Jumpmaster or Pilot signature
Remarks

Ask somebody that has a logbook and measure the page, make lots of them (make as much as jumps you want to put there and use heavy paper, so it can last for a long life), paste them together (use hard cover or the cover that are used on books, I think is something coated with plastic, that way it will last alot from the touching, it gets protected against the sweat of hands) and you got yourself a log book. Make lots of them and sell them to your friends or the newbies, that way you pay your logbook with the income ;)

Logbook is very important in your skydiving career, if you want ratings you need to have lots of jumps, if you want another license you need lots of jumps and certain stuff, the only proof you have that you made them is the log book signed.

Look at the attachment for a model, you are free to use and modify the model if you wish.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

logbook.jpg

Hiya Airhead,
I know that I mentioned this in talk back, but the instructors at Napoleon are great people. However, two of the four are migrating to GA on Monday, so there will only be two left. At the same time, there will be a lot fewer students given the cold weather. Ron and Brenda will still be around through November, and I like both of them.
I know it's not the same situation as yours, but I did my first jump at a different DZ, and my levels II-VII at Napoleon, and they gave me a full refresher free of charge and let me do my level II immediately. Given the difference in difficulty between level II and VI I can't promise they'll do the same, but it's worth a call! If you decide to go there, let me know!
Steve
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All