JYorkster

2003 SIM

USPA has decided not to post a .pdf version of the new SIM as they did for the last version. This means less people will actually have a usable copy. I am wondering if anyone has already the HTML version on www.uspa.org to a usable, printable format.

Note: The actual printed version (yes I actually bought one) states:

"The SIM from time to time requires updating. It is the responsibility of
SIM holders to keep their version current. New copies and updates may be
downloaded free of charge from the USPA website, www.uspa.org, or purchased
from the USPA store."

I'm just trying to help others live up to their responsibility and keep their SIMs updated. Any computer whiz out there already made the conversion?

Rock

Of course they haven't posted it, if they did they wouldn't have to charge you for it. >:(

Directly from the website:

USPA presents the SIM online here as a free service but urges skydiving students, instructors, school owners, and others who use the manual often to purchase a full version of the 2003 Skydiver's Information Manual from USPA. You can also find the 2003 SIM at many parachute equipment dealers and in the equipment case at your local parachute center.

They need to pay for that new building somehow.

In the interests of helping those who want a SIM but don't want to pay for it, I'll see if I can't print it as a pdf.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

There's also a disclaimer that the online version is not the entire SIM, but only a portion of it.

Just sent the following to [email protected].

To Whom It May Concern:

I'm at a loss as to why the entire 2003 SIM is not being published as a PDF on the internet. I can understand charging for the printed version to cover printing costs. But the compilation of the information presented in the SIM is what we pay our dues for. Now we're being denied information about our own organization unless we pay extra for it. If you do a quick check on some online message boards you'll find there are quite a few others unhappy about this new policy.

Would you please inform me as to who made this decision so that I can make sure they don't get my vote when I send in my ballot? The contents of this letter will be posted publicly on the internet as well as any response.

Regards,

Kevin Naughton
B-24913

If you have a file you'd like to post, you can use the attachement feature at the bottom of the post page. If it's larger than the system will accept (150K or so) you can mail it to me and I will try to put it somewhere appropriate (like the safety page.) Try either [email protected] or my work account if it's really large (replace dropzone.com with qualcomm.com.)

[A] disclaimer ... [states] ... the online version is not the entire SIM, but only a portion of it.

The first three sections are identical to the print version. The Category A portion of Section 4 [ISP] is missing only "Category at a Glance." I've spot checked the other sections as well, and what I've checked is identical to the print version. The license and award applications (Appendix C: Forms) are missing from the on-line version.

Bottom line: the on-line version is as complete as most of us need, and in some ways is in a more convenient format as well.

Mark

Hey everyone. Received an email from someone (not saying who because they didn't specifically say it was ok to post their message) that was contacted by Chris Needles to remove the zipped version of the html files from their website because they are violating copyright laws.

More of us need to let USPA know that they are acting in opposition to what their membership wants.

Email addresses that should be used include
Executive Committee ,
Kevin Gibson ,
Jim Crouch ,
Larry Bagley ,
Full Board ,
Board Candidates

This has been causing quite a stink on rec.skydiving by a guy who is running for th BOD, Don L. "Treetop" Jardine

Any computer whiz out there already made the conversion?

Jan Meyer has, someone else who's running for the BOD.

Oh, that's nice, a BPA member ripping on our candidates?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Would you please inform me as to who made this decision so that I can make sure they don't get my vote when I send in my ballot?

I have a simple answer for that.

Blame it on a man you didn't elect. Nobody did. He was hired awhile ago by the BOD as Executive Director. He then hired Kevin Gibson. Between these 2, the USPA has gone the way of a for-profit corporation.

Well, that's what we are NOT.

Chris is attempting to build a large nest egg, in line with his eventual departure from the USPA, and most of the BoD are to scared to do anything about it. Either that or they have their hands in the cookie jar as well.
It's your life, live it!

Hey Jim, I'm also a USPA member! No ripping was intended, both Jan and Don are getting my vote!

Whew, had me worried for a bit there as being labeled a Brit basher.....

Don't forget Mullins and Welker....
It's your life, live it!

Whew, had me worried for a bit there as being labeled a Brit basher.....

No worries Jim!

Don't forget Mullins and Welker....

Indeed. I wrote Mike in last time. Not sure I know enough about Chris. Like somebody said, if he's good enough for Mike...however, to me, he didn't come off very well last time around.

>Sure! He certainly has the Fun Jumper's best interests at heart
> and it's always good to have a wild card in the mix!

More true at a party than in the organization that makes decisions on the future of skydiving in the US. I'd hate to see the effect one of his tantrums would have on an FAA rep, and what effect it would have during an NPR comment period. It would be fun but you might not like the result.

>Sure! He certainly has the Fun Jumper's best interests at heart
> and it's always good to have a wild card in the mix!

More true at a party than in the organization that makes decisions on the future of skydiving in the US. I'd hate to see the effect one of his tantrums would have on an FAA rep, and what effect it would have during an NPR comment period. It would be fun but you might not like the result.

i don't even think Treetop has the interests of fun jumpers at heart. He seems to care more about his own interests and self described "entertainment." I think he would bog the board down and become a real problem with regard to the FAA. I know how he reacts now when he doesn't get his way, and I would hate to see what happens if he looses a battle on the board.

Treetop might be fun for some people at the distance offered by the net, but I don't think he's a good choice to lead our organization or community of skydivers.

Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy