Hausse

Open DZ in Michigan or Ohio

I have been kind of pissed off the last couple days that it was perfect weather and I couldn't jump. Does anybody know of a place close to Toledo, OH that is jumping at the moment or is really everything closed??? In the 3h range please:)

Skydive Tecumseh would fly if there were a weekend with decent weather, but it's been a long time since we've had one of those. By decent weather, they mean no low clouds/high winds, ground that's dry enough to not be torn up when the pane taxis, and temps ~40.

In Ohio - Greene County has the same requirements as Tecumseh, Start Skydiving is operating out of their county airport so they are looking to fly as soon as the weather and clouds go away since they are paved they can jump when its soggy out still.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Because most people after their first year of jumping all winter give it up and wait for spring from that point on. ;) I have enough jumps I'm not going to have my hands stinging from the cold anymore. In order to make it worth the pilots time they need so many jumpers and that only happens once it warms up a bit.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hehe okey I see you are all wusses;) I'm Swiss and we have a saying: It's never too cold, you are probably just not dressed warm enough:P

Yeah Il isn't really a choice. If I felt like driving a long time I'd go to Wissota. Bad luck I suppose. I'll just keep on waiting for the spring.

Thanks for your help.

Crap. How come you just fly if it's warm? I jumped on january first at -4F and it was awesome.

I've been told it's hard on the planes to start them up when it's really cold. If they're anything like my car, I totally believe that - it wasn't happy about starting earlier this week :( (I do remember it taking a couple of tries for the plane to start before my first jump when it was 32 degrees - didn't give me much confidence even though I was told it was routine!)

Honestly though, to me it isn't fun to jump in the cold - if I want to jump in the winter I go to warm places, otherwise I wait until it's a reasonable temperature on the ground. I fully admit that I'm a wimp about cold, but I just don't understand why someone would WANT to jump when it's below freezing? Unless maybe it was a really special occasion or something.

Edit to add: If I were dressed warm enough for it to be comfortable jumping below freezing, 1) my jumpsuit wouldn't fit over my clothes, so it would severly limit the kind of jumps I could do, making it much less likely I'd want to jump, 2) my rig wouldn't fit well, and 3) my gloves would be so thick I couldn't feel my hackey or my toggles.

Why? You mean next to it being awesome?:)The snow looks great and I like the cold. I haven't even been the slightest bit cold the day we jumped and I haven't had any problems fitting my jumpsuit or a rig.
And it's not like you'd be up there for half an hour...

If you find someplace in OH jumping this weekend let me know. I live in cincy and will drive anywhere reasonable <4 hrs. I started in October and am only at 47 jumps, so I guess I still have the newbie itch to jump and even though I really, really hate the cold under any other circumstance, I can turn off my internal thermostat to make a jump or several. Send me a pm if you find a place and I will do the same for you.
Blue (and cold) skies
Katie

You should have drove to Wissota this weekend. Saturday was BEAUTIFUL! 23F and sunny. We got about 15-16 loads up including 3 awesome 8 way formation loads. One of those days where you can't pack fast enough.

Not everyone is as crazy as us Wisconsinites! Consider transfering to UW-Eau Claire now????