FFlyer

Australia - Picton

Hey all,

Ive been looking into dz's in Aus and it sounds like Picton is probably the biggest and busiest? So ive got a few questions about the place.

- Firstly,...what's the freefly scene like there? Is there one? What's the level of freeflying like there? I would guess that being such a big dz, there's bound to be a lot happening in most disciplines?

- Being such a big dz, is there more of a commercial feel to it? Or are the people generally quite friendly and willing to jump with new comers?

- On the weekends is it a tandem factory or does a lot of fun jumping happen? Is it possible to do around 6 jumps on a saturday or sunday?

I think I read on here somewhere it takes about an hour to drive there from Sydney and about 1.5 hours on the train. That sound right? Also,...how much will the train cost to get there an back?

Thanks for any info.

cheers.

I used to be able to get to the DZ for 1st load (7am), do 5 jumps and be back in Sydney central by 2 or 3pm. It is a great DZ, loads of good free flyers but they can be a bit cliquey. Bunch of folks on here who could help you out.

Avoid the train, either find a friendly soul to give you a lift (ask on here), or get the tandem bus from town. Train is a pain in the arse.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

There's quite a few freeflyers around. Many of them show up with plans for the day though, so if you rock up fresh, there mightn't be too many just hanging around. Best bet: show up, say hi, make friends, jump.

1hr in a car. Far too fucking long on the train. Sydney's public transport network outside the CBD is woeful. The DZ operates a bus out every morning at 7am.

6 jumps on a Sat or Sun is pretty trivial. The last few weekends I've been out have had the XL doing about 20 loads and the Skyvan 5-10.

Are you coming for a holiday, or to move here?

holy shit m8 what a coincidence im going to pickton in 2 weeks (visiting sydney from BC) and im not an experienced jumper but im wondering about the environment there and if everyone is cool with new comers as well.(?) I reckon it's best to get there early around 7 or 8 am? any info would be helpful!! also...do they have the Bell Jet Ranger there?:o that would be a wicked jump...

do they have the Bell Jet Ranger there?:o that would be a wicked jump...

Yeah its awesome to jump, but the short answer is that its rare its at the DZ, let alone being used for jumping.[:/]
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

do they have the Bell Jet Ranger there?:o that would be a wicked jump...

Yeah its awesome to jump, but the short answer is that its rare its at the DZ, let alone being used for jumping.[:/]

In the 4 and a bit years I have been jumping at picton I've seen it drop jumpers once.. and that was because all the other planes broke down...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

im not an experienced jumper but im wondering about the environment there and if everyone is cool with new comers as well.(?) I reckon it's best to get there early around 7 or 8 am? any info would be helpful!! also...

Yep, it's definitely welcoming to new jumpers. Bring your license(s), logbooks, etc. If you don't have an A license yet, contact the DZ now so they can check in with your home DZ if necessary. If you don't have your own gear yet, also contact them now so they can work to make sure suitable rental gear is available.

Early is good. Manifest and the coffee shop are open from about 06:40 onwards, and first load usually goes sometime between 07:00 and 07:45.

If you have a car, just head South on the M5/Hume Highway, and take the Picton exit. If you don't, the DZ runs a bus that leaves the City Centre at 7am.

There's a bunkhouse at the DZ (bring pillows & sleeping bag), but it's not exactly luxurious. There's also a bar on the DZ.

I went there last year and had a super time--B|

i did see that most locals already had a plan for the day--but, show up, make friends and jump--don't be discouraged if u get turned down some--that's what i did and i had lots of fun and made lots of jumps--

had to get accustomed to looking for the grass strip--no big paved airports like i'm use to in florida--B|

MUFF #3384, DIRTY SANCHEZ #28(Chief Recruiting Officer), FALLING GATOR #7801-A, POPS #10957, FLYING HELLFISH #847, HISPAS #79, SRA #9229, Surfador Rodrigues

This is my dissapointing experience of Picton (and skydiving in australia in general)....

We went to oz in October 2006 for 3 weeks.

We were in Sydney for 3 days.

We wanted to jump at Picton and from experiences with previous dropzones around brisbane we decided to ring up before turning up at the dropzone.

We rang the night before explaining we were from the UK and wanted to do a few jumps at Picton.

They told us they have 1 (yes ONE) lift going at 8.30am in the morning and there are a couple of free slots available (the rest of the lift was tandems).

I couldnt believe they only had one lift ?

I asked if they were likely to do any more lifts that day and they said that was the only lift they were doing.

So I didnt bother going because my girlfriend also wanted to jump and we had our 6 month old daughter with us, so we have to take it in turns to jump as well.

That would have meant only one of us would have got to do one jump !

This was mid-week so weekends might be more busy ?

Saying that, someone at my local dropzone did his AFF at Picton and he said it was quiet when he was there.

He had to wait around alot and try and get on loads with tandems.

Just a warning, but you might want to check how busy they are likely to be.

Especially if you are hoping to jump in the week.

we are mostly a weekend dropzone nation.
there are a few DZ that run all week PROVIDED they have a minimum number of guaranteed filled slots.. The jumper community in OZ is very small by US and probably UK standards. But most DZs here do a decent trade on weekends
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Whatever you do, make sure you stay away from Irish Dave. He's a real wanker. Everyone else is really cool though.

;)

Just so not to be taken by surpise irish Dave is aka BobDino, he tries to trick people with that pseudonym;):ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Whatever you do, make sure you stay away from Irish Dave. He's a real wanker. Everyone else is really cool though.

;)

Just so not to be taken by surpise irish Dave is aka BobDino, he tries to trick people with that pseudonym;):ph34r::ph34r:

Damnit Squeak you ruined the surprise. Stupid Aussies...

I was there in April two years ago. I had a mate from Sydney drop me off on a Thursday and he came and picked me up on Sunday. Thursday was slow, only a few loads. Things picked up on Friday and the weekend was busy.

I stayed at the brew pub in Picton, great beer, great food, and cheap rooms/hot showers. The bunkhouse and showers at the DZ are scary and stink. No problem hitching rides to and from town since I had no vehicle. I think I called a cab Saturday night because everyone was too drunk to give me a ride.

I had no trouble getting on loads but I was mostly doing RW. Great crowd and party/barbeque Saturday night.

Overall I had a great time and would love to make it back down there someday.

Fuck you too Tailplane :P.

PERSONAL ATTACK! PERSONAL ATTACK!

:P

Be careful, Bobby - in case someone asks how you got the nick-name "Tailplane". Best you stay low.

And a g'day from me regardless.

fergs;)

Be careful, Bobby - in case someone asks how you got the nick-name "Tailplane". Best you stay low.
;)

I still remember that like it was yesterday....f*cking priceless, but only because no-one came off worse for wear (thanks Jari!) ;)

Edited to add: Look forward to seeing you (aircrash/fflyer) boys out there....

(Yes, I'm hoping to not be a whuffo by then!)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."