NWFlyer

Dropzones That Check Wingloading?

Hi Remi,

This is why I disagree and say there is no coherent enforcement. The USPA has few rules and some recommendations, but individual dz's do have rules - but they are incoherent. We are hearing how some allow A+ jumpers GoPro's, others have B+, others C+ etc (that is simply an easy example - and not mean't to turn the thread into a camera thread).

It is a mess and I don't blame the USPA BOD, but rather the culture. I'll drop the topic as there is zero point arguing on the internet that the 'Nanny state' approach might actually have some benefits:D:D

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Every DZ in the UK I've been to (and I've been to most).

As with any country, some are DZO's/CCI's have more restrictive rules than others. At least one DZ refuses you (or at least used to) permission to jump an elliptical with fewer than 500 jumps. That DZ also requires a cutaway system on camera helmets (or again, at least they used to anyway). Others just check to see you're not on something stupid with no specific published rule. Wing loading would be estimated for licensed jumpers but students may well be weighed. I've even seen one person turned away from a FJC when weighed. I've also seen people turned away from the flight line and sent to get a rental rig as the one they were wanting to jump was deemed too small. I myself was refused permission to jump my first rig at one DZ as it didn't have an AAD. This was before the rule requiring one for A licensed jumpers. I went up the road to jump but was otherwise perfectly content with the decision - their house, their rules.

It's their DZ and they're the one's to fill out the paperwork, deal with the first aid/police/press/coroner/fill in the hole. While you may feel aggrieved you're not "free" to do whatever you like, they have a stake in the game too.

In France, there is a regulation which limits WL vs experience from jump 1 to jump 600.
When you arrive at one DZ they check your rig and if the size of your canopy is compliant with the rule (at least roughly).
One DZ i jump at prints on your card for manifest which minimum size you can jump with.
ça passe ou ça frotte

It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of documented fatalities (related to pilot error under good canopy) for the U.S. and U.K. to see if one could draw a reasonable conclusion that these simple steps are demonstrably more effective.

HighJB

In France, there is a regulation which limits WL vs experience from jump 1 to jump 600.
When you arrive at one DZ they check your rig and if the size of your canopy is compliant with the rule (at least roughly).
One DZ i jump at prints on your card for manifest which minimum size you can jump with.

**CAUTION!! Extremely heavy sarcasm ahead**

The French are known for their adherence to the rules....
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Squeak

But I would note that your$170 AUD would buy you about 5 jump tickets in Canada and 7 in the USA.

So what?
Our standard of living here is different to either Canada or the USofA, that has ZERO to do with our sports governing body. Fuel alone here is more than 2x that of the USofA.

Do you work for your National Association?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

DocPop

***In France, there is a regulation which limits WL vs experience from jump 1 to jump 600.

**CAUTION!! Extremely heavy sarcasm ahead**

The French are known for their adherence to the rules....
:D It's true that in the recent years, there was too much derogation to the rule. Our federation has decided to adress that.
I use to complain about this regulation, but from i read here, it seems that low timer here are more conservative in their canopy choice.
ça passe ou ça frotte

gowlerk

But I would note that your$170 AUD would buy you about 5 jump tickets in Canada and 7 in the USA.

So what?
Our standard of living here is different to either Canada or the USofA, that has ZERO to do with our sports governing body. Fuel alone here is more than 2x that of the USofA.

NO I have no affiliation other than a member. But I don’t piss and moan about things I consider fair and reasonable. Our jump tickets are expensive, that has nothing to do with our APF. The APF membership fees are not exorbitant, and they allow me to jump as an FAI affiliate almost anywhere in the world. Im fine paying 4 jump tickets a year for that (and the liability insurance).
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Squeak

So what?

NO I have no affiliation other than a member. But I don’t piss and moan about things I consider fair and reasonable. Our jump tickets are expensive, that has nothing to do with our APF. The APF membership fees are not exorbitant, and they allow me to jump as an FAI affiliate almost anywhere in the world. Im fine paying 4 jump tickets a year for that (and the liability insurance).

Did APF membership drop? I remember when I still jumped in Aus I used to rage about it quite a bit.

I figure if I can find myself a reasonably priced AAD with a few years left on it I might get back in the Aussie skies around September-ish.
cavete terrae.