SPY

Tandem malfunction

I have had two exits in which the students put both arms and legs forward (pike position) and went stiff as a board. Those began to turn into side-spin situations, but I used the procedure I was taught and they worked well.

1) Get big. If that doesn't bring it under control . . .

2) Place the student's hands on their thighs, wrap the students legs, and become one.
3) Roll over like a cat to get belly-to-earth and deploy the drogue. If still in the side-spin . . .

4) If drogue side up, deploy the drogue
5) If drogue side down, deploy reserve

In both situations, wrapping the student up and becoming one worked like a charm. Neither one developed into a full-blown side spin.

John

Please remember the manufacturer's directives if you are in an uncontrollable side spin: If the drogue side is up, you may throw the drogue. If the drogue side is down, you should deploy the reserve.

(Yes, I'm a Tandem Examiner):)

Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

I'll add to the side spin phenomenon for those who don't do tandems. You can see what a side spin is like on a solo jump by dropping a leg, kinda like you are taking a step forward and pulling an arm close to your chest(I'm sure there are other ways). Strong's video explains this quite well. I tried it twice on one jump and only got around a couple of times before it gets too fast. it was, well enlightening to try.

sbb

Both of my situations began to develop quickly as well. I attribute my quick recovery to three things:

-my level of currency (regularity of tandem jumps) allowed me to recognize immediately that a side-spin scenario was developing

-my training in handling a side-spin, which I have mentioned in above posts

-my frequent review of all tandem emergency procedures - visualizing being in a side-spin situation and recovering from it

Neither one developed any speed, and the rest of the skydive progressed as normal. The students were never the wiser.

John

***Excuse my complete ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by drogue side up or down? Does this refer to the side you grab the drogue hackey?

Yes

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Good to have you contributing here on DZ.com, Mike. I've enjoyed your book many times over! I hope we have the opportunity to benefit from many more posts from you in the future!

Sorry, but I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.

I have to say something here. I have made well over 2000 tandems over the years with all of the major manufacturers (strong, vector and jumpshack) and own a Sigma. I have been in sidespins in all but the jumpshack rig, but i have the fewest number of jumps on it.
One, all of the sidespins (6) I have been in were with smaller people (110 to 145 lbs). But this maybe due to the fact that I had a different attitude towards the exit with them (more relax, less worried). Luckily they were all drogue up sidespins, but I still think that if I ever get into one with the drogue down, the drogue is coming out before the reserve. I have argued this point with several people, but spinning on your side and deploying a reserve definitely is the last resort in my mind. If you are worried about the drogue wrapping up on you, what do think the reserve is going to do?
Second, I have had no malfunctions in all the years I have been doing tandems. I pack for myself 99% of the time and according to the manufacturers recommendations. Most of all though, I keep my gear in great condition, don't wait for the next repack to fix even minor damage.
Well that is it for all that it is worth!

Art
blue skies,

art