adventurechick

Non USPA dropzones....

I'm going home to see my family in Tennessee in 2 weeks... I was going to take all the girls I grew up with skydiving at a dropzone in Alexandria, Tennessee. I was just reading my new Parachutist and I did not see this dropzone listed as a USPA dropzone. Is it safe to jump at a non-USPA dropzone? Should we drive the extra few hours to make it to a USPA dropzone???

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

No drop zone is "safe" just because it is or is not a USPA Group Member Drop Zone.

The USPA does not certify the safety of a drop zone.

Group Member Drop Zones pay a fee to belong and pledge to follow the USPA rules.

Non-group Member Drop Zones do not pay the fee and do not make a pledge to follow the USPA rules, but still have to follow the FAA rules which apply to both groups.

Any drop zone being run by anyone with half a brain would follow the USPA rules since to do anything else would open them up to greater litigation should anything go horribly wrong. Most follow the rules pretty closely.

Finally, everything that is legal, isn't always "safe" and everything that is "safe" isn't always legal.

Use some common sense and if it's starting to look too much like "Pecos Parachute School" . . . get back in the car and leave.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I jump regularly at a non-USPA DZ and the "environment" is very safe and everyone is top notch... There are generally people that have been jumping for years (like longer then I've been alive... :P) and the vibe is good too.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Are you concerned for yourself or for your friends? I've never done a tandem and I'm not a TI, and I'm not sure I'd know how to evaluate whether a tandem operation was a "safe" one. I do know that USPA or not USPA would not be the criteria I would use, just as it is not a criteria I would use in deciding where I am willing to jump.

As for you - with 20 jumps it's probably time to start thinking about how you're going to evaluate different dropzones and different opportunities to jump in different places. What would make you feel like a dropzone is safe for you?

Is it:
--The size of the landing area?
--The availability (or lack thereof) of outs?
--The amount of air traffic?
--The amount of "chaos" in the landing area (in other words, do there appear to be established rules about landing pattern that are followed by jumpers? are jumpers called out if they don't follow landing patterns?)?
--The amount of time/effort that gets put into the dropzone briefing?
--How much (or how little) the dropzone management "holds the hands" of its jumpers?
--The "reputation" of the dropzone?
--The length of the waiver?
--The number of things the DZ checks when you first come to jump there (license, logbook/currency, ID, reserve card, reserve pin, etc.)?
--Whether or not the jumpers use seat belts?
--How they approach loading and organizing the plane (is it haphazard? or are there established rules that are followed?)?
--The general attitude the management and jumpers seem to have towards safety?

These are just a few things off the top of my head, none of which necessarily says a dropzone is "safe" or "not safe" (and some of which don't tell you much of anything at all) but I hope it'll at least push you into some critical thinking about what your own boundaries are, and help you get ready to say "no" if it doesn't feel right.

One of the best things about this sport is being able to travel around and jump at different dropzones. But being able to decide whether a particular dropzone (or a particular jump) is somewhere you're comfortable jumping is an important decision to make.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

...But being able to decide whether a particular dropzone (or a particular jump) is somewhere you're comfortable jumping is an important decision to make.

Krisanne, just FYI and not blowing smoke...in my book, my level of respect for you went way up when you made that decision you did about who to jump with and everything at the last DZ I saw you. You know the jump I am talking about without mentioning names or places.

Good stuff, lady.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm from Tennessee but I am not aware of any DZ in Alexandria. What's it called? Who's the DZO? Thanks.

Yeah, me too. I"m guessing it located somewhere closer to cedartown, GA.

West Tennessee Skydiving is located about 40-50 miles east of Memphis, 45 miles west of Jackson. We are a non- Group member dz, but we are all USPA members and all instructors are USPA rated.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Another option is Tennessee Skydiving Center in Tullahoma. It re-opened last month and at the present time, it is usually open the first Saturday (only) of each month. The next time they're jumping there is May 6th.

Jumping Mullins' Super King Air and jumps are $22.00 to 13,900'.

If you can find out who is running the place and PM me, I'll try to help. I've done a lot of jumping in TN and haven't heard of a DZ in Alexandria. Also, if Mary, Judy, or Matthew haven't heard of it either.. I'd just pick a dz that is better known.

Hopefully you'll be there May 6 and can come jump Mullins King Air in Tullahoma. I'll be there too. :)