RSG

Radio for AFF

Dear fellow skydivers

I am looking for some things to buy online, but I can't find something from stores like para-gear

Please tell me where can I find the radio that the AFF instructors use to talk with the AFF student after they open the main?

Also is there a cheaper online store than para-gear?
Thank you

You don't really need to buy a radio. Your DZ will give you one during AFF training. After AFF, nobody will talk you down anyway unless you arrange to have somebody do it. So you don't need a radio.

The radios I used were one sided; you could only listen. On two of my jumps they broke in freefall and weren't used anyway. By AFF level V you should not need the radio.

The radios I used were one sided; you could only listen.

This is funny, It would be difficult holding on to the toggles and hitting the "push to talk switch". Bet
the audio comming back from the students would
make for interesting listening though.

Steve

My Site

We have used Motorola one-way radios for decades to talk down students who are hanging under canopy.
We don't use two-way radios because it is illegal to cuss on public airwaves in Canada!
Besides, the last thing I want is to hear student number one shouting his fool head off on the radio when I am trying to turn student number two.
Most DZs slip small pockets onto students' chest straps to hold the radios. After too many pockets disappearred, I sewed the pockets onto the chest straps of our student rigs.
Schools that dress students in mechanics' coveralls often stuff radios into zippered chest pockets.
Other DZs sew pockets onto jumpsuit upper arms, so the radio is blaring in the students' ears while they have their hands up.
At Perris, California, they hang radios around their students' necks, so the radio is suspended just below their chest straps, inside their jump suits with wires leading up to ear pieces that are worn inside their helmets.
Finally, at the recent PIA Symposium, I saw a student rig with a Spandex radio pocket sewn on just below the 3-ring.

I only used them for AFF, and I was on a frequency no one else was on. I could definately see two-way radios being a problem with more than one student on the frequency, AFF or S/L.

I like the idea of the ear piece, but I worry about cable routing. The idea of sewing a pocket on the arm of the jump suit sounds really good too. As long as you had the right sized radios, The mud flap pocket would be OK, just have to be careful to remove the radio be fore the student drops the rig.

Hook

>I like the idea of the ear piece, but I worry about cable routing.

We've had no problems with that. Radios on a sling inside the jumpsuit, wires up under their chin.

> The idea of sewing a pocket on the arm of the jump suit sounds
>really good too.

Except they have trouble hearing you when they turn left (if the pocket's on the left that is.)

I like the idea of the ear piece, but I worry about cable routing.

We've had no problems with that. Radios on a sling inside the jumpsuit, wires up under their chin.

Solves that worry. What type of ear-pieces?

The idea of sewing a pocket on the arm of the jump suit sounds
>really good too.

Except they have trouble hearing you when they turn left (if the pocket's on the left that is.)

Good point. "I said to stop the left turn". I didn't hear you say to stop the turn........."

Hook

We solved that issue by putting the pockets right on the student Protec. There is a small leather pocket thats now fastened by bungies and a snap (was just a snap but one opened and a radio fell out). The radio is RIGHT in the students ear. There is no having to hear it over wind or anything else.With everything inside the pouch there is no more snag hazard then a dytter pocket.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

We solved that issue by putting the pockets right on the student Protec. There is a small leather pocket thats now fastened by bungies and a snap (was just a snap but one opened and a radio fell out). The radio is RIGHT in the students ear. There is no having to hear it over wind or anything else.With everything inside the pouch there is no more snag hazard then a dytter pocket.

This is basically what is done at my DZ as well, although the execution is slightly different. However, having used these many times, I can tell you that I have in fact had trouble hearing over wind noise at least once. Well, couple wind noise with student who hasn't been told how to collapse the slider, so it was pretty noisy. Still, I think it's a great solution. I guess my only question now that you mention it is the snag hazard...on ours, there is an antenna that sticks out of the pocket. Never really considered the implications of that.

The radios at our DZ are worn hanging off a strap around your neck and inside your jumpsuit. There's and earpiece in the helmet, and it goes down and plugs in. It's one way only, unless you pull it out of your jumpsuit and talk back.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

We use, I think two-way PTTs. So theoretically students -like me- can answer. But they usually they dont. The two way communication is only good for, if somebody drifted away and they are searching for him -even with radios some people can be deaf to clear and loud instructions-.

Today I am going to the skydiving club I can check the brand name. Mainly it is a hand-held transreceiver for the instructor and some -we have four- smaller and simplier ones for the students.
You can set to transmit to all four or more students or to each one separately. We put it on the chest strap as it is loud enough.

OVER

Here at Raeford we use Motorola Spirit GT 2-way radios. They are very small, have incredible range and take a beating. We hang them unside-down on the chest strap so as to prevent the antenna from poking you in the chin on opening. Anyway, they work fantastic for 1-watt radios. Our ground Instructor carries a 5-watt Motorola Radius SP50+. All are multi-channel. On AFF jumps (and tandems on gusty days), one instructor (per AFF student) also carries one of the smaller ones in his jumpsuit "just in case."

We generally make a call up to the student when we know the plane to be on jumprun to tell them "have a good jump. We then press the "push to talk" button on the student's radio and say "Hooty HOO!" No problem whatsoever with these radios. They are fantastic when you get that stray student who wants to land over on the otherside of the trees (or in them). They can call right back and tell you their condition while you are streaking over there to fetch them in the DZ truck (either "Blackie" or "Whitey").

Chuck

My dropzone places the radios in arm pockets (student's jumpsuits), is very uninstrusive and secured, just the antenna sticks out, the pocket is closed using velcro.