lewis321

RSLs

And I would like to know if to use a pillow or normal silver for my reserve.

And what about pull-out versus throw-out?

uhm... oyeah... isn't it an Idea to make an AAD mandatory?
:D

You get the point.... :S:P

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

You get the point....

And YOUR point is????

This is and will continue to be a never ending debate. It is still a new question to the person who asked it.

Cheers
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

OK This is what I do - It's works for me but what you do is up to you-

No RSL - Mostly just because I bought my rig without one, and never bothered to have one put on. I guess it might be a good idea, but it's up to you-

Cypres - I prefer one myself.

PC in tow - Look over my shoulder then go for both the handles.

More opinions? Seek and ye shall find--

Easy Does It

I would like some input on RSLs. Ya or Na ? I would like some opinions and personal experiences.
I would also like to know how you would react to a pilot chute in tow.[:/]

I won't answer the RSL question. I Don't use one but wish a friend of mine would have had one......:(

My Belief is if you throw something out , Cutaway go to reserve. Tossing a pilot chute is something out.

It is also argued that it wastes time to cutaway a PC in tow. Since each person reacts different I can only say what I do. Keep in mind I'm a Rigger, Instructor and have made a few jumps so my thinking has changed through progression and knowledge of how the equipment works.

Pilot chutes Tow for a few reasons. Uncocked Pilot chute, Some reason the PC is in a knot,
Throw the Pilot chute, you find it's being towed behind you. The moment you pull the Reserve rip cord, and the Reserve freebag is out of the reserve pack tray, there is no longer any tension on the divider wall between the main and the reserve compartment. There fore the pin tension is generally minimal allowing the main pin to come out much easier.

The question is, just fire the reserve? or Cutaway. Rick Horn agreed with: If you throw somethingout, to cutaway and then Pull the reserve. One must be quick in this situation and know your altitude.

I go for Both Handles at the same time in that situation.

Main reason I practise chop then pull is that I don't want to be thinking "do I chop this, or just pull the reserve pad" when screaming through 2000 feet. If I can keep my drills the same, I will.

How about pulling reserve handle first and cutaway second, fraction of second later? You are still pulling both handles, but the reserve first, so no time is wasted for reserve (an argument that "reserve only in PC in tow" often people bring up)?

I thought everyone didn't

unfortunately some people feel the need for a security blanket in a sport where there is no TRUE security blanket....

it just doesn't make sense to me for that someone will not jump a rig just because it has no cypres....I just dont get it....:|:|:|

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

How about pulling reserve handle first and cutaway second, fraction of second later?

Never Ever Practive pulling your handles out of order. Not on the Ground and not in a fake scenario.
-

Ahh.. I'm probably and old fashioned netcitizen.... Still use netiquette, doing searches and stuff... There was a TROL alert going off at my pc....
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

it just doesn't make sense to me for that someone will not jump a rig just because it has no cypres

I know at least 2 people who WILL NOT jump if their rig doesn't have an AAD. If that's the case, you swhould re-consider if this sport is for you or not. I'm not anti-AAD at all, in fact I'd like one, but I'm happy without.

Remember it is possible to disconnect the RSL if the need be. My opinion is to have one but I can always disconnect it if I have to. AAD there is no question about having one - You need to.

I don't buy this argument. I don't think I could find and disconnect my RSL fast enough in a violent spin, the one type of mal where I would want it disconnected. If I jump with an RSL, I have to assume that I won't be able to or won't have time to disconnect it before cutting away.

If your gonna use an RSL, make sure your stable when you dump. I seen a guy dump when he was on his back, this caused the main to snag the RSL, which in turn dumped his reserve for him. After that all he had above his head was a complete pile of shit. I'm sorry to say the guy didn't survive.

Be aware. I personally don't use one.

Ian
"Don't ever knock on deaths door, just ring the bell and run away - it really pisses him off"