skydive4play

Pilot Chute In Towe

Can I here from you guys on just what to do when you have a pilot chute in towe. I have been told so many different things. If you cut away, the main will still be there and you have the chance that it will come out when the reserve deploys. Or do you just pull the reserve?

We had this discussion back on the old forums. You can check out the archive for the discussion HERE. You cannot respond on those boards but you can bring any questions/comments back to here. As you will see, there are a few different views on the PC in tow situation.
Craig

OK, just for the sake of discussion, here's the opposing view. It's the way I was taught.
Pilot chute in tow is an extremely high speed mal. I was told don't waste time with the cutaway handle because the chances of your main coming out are pretty slim... just get the reserve out because time is critical. Just pull the reserve.
Of course the counter-argument has been presented... you don't want to waste time figuring out which procedure to use in a mal. If you have one procedure... cutaway & pull reserve, you'll react quicker.
This begs the question is there any situation anyone can think of where a cutaway before a reserve pull would make the situation worse? I can't think of one (other than the time factor).
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

ther is not one simple answer to this question, but you should decide what you will do before your next jump. the key seems to be in avoiding this sitution. Make sure your pilot chute is cocked...is you use packers it would be smart to cock the pc. make sure you check the bridle routing. if something does not look right, ask someone more experienced. personally, I would chop a pc in tow, knowing I risk a main/reserve entanglement, but I do everything in my power to avoid having one in the first place.
blue skies, black death

Pilot chute in tow is an extremely high speed mal. I was told don't waste time with the cutaway handle because the chances of your main coming out are pretty slim... just get the reserve out because time is critical. Just pull the reserve.

Just to play devil's advocate, if you DON'T cutaway first, and just activate your reserve, perhaps that motion will cause whatever is keeping the bag in the container to allow it to go free... then you would be far more likely to have a main/reserve entanglement. Personally, I'd cutaway, but like Grasshopper said, there is no one simple answer - just make sure you are ready to execute whatever procedure YOU have decided on... do SOMETHING!
Frank

I'm with Cacophony.
I've done "cut away and pull" so many times, in practice, it'd be damn hard to change that habit at a hundred and change and a half mile up.
Yeah, it might take me a half second longer.
Yeah, it might have a .01% higher risk of an entanglement.
But I know I can pull off that little trick no matter what kind of stress I'm in, and that's worth something.

Just to play devil's advocate, if you DON'T cutaway first, and just activate your reserve, perhaps that motion
will cause whatever is keeping the bag in the container to allow it to go free...

In a PC in tow situation, this is what I would be counting on happening. I only say this because from what I have heard about PC in tow mals the main container will open after the reserve leaves it's container and deploys. It's not a given, but I think it happens more often than not. Just for information sake, according to the PIA dual square report found HERE the following would be their results in order of probabality during a dual square deployment (not to say this couldn't differ)
Bi-plane
Side-by-side
Trailing PC, PC and bag, or uninflated canopy, which may or may not develop into an open canopy
Downplane
Entanglement
I'm going to cut it away and pull reserve. The reason being it is what I have practiced so many times that I feel it is a natural response. I don't feel not cutting away is a bad thing, since getting rid of a side by side, or bi-plane with trailing main after reserve deployment does not seem to be a big problem (versus cutting away a main in front of a reserve bi-plane). I just wouldn't feel good about changing changing procedures at the stage I am in. In any event, I agree with others here that having a plan before you jump is important to avoid any confusion in an already stressful situation.
Craig

In Reply to Craig....
------------------------------------------------------------
In a PC in tow situation, this is what I would be counting on happening. I only say this because from what I have heard about PC in tow mals the main container will open after the reserve leaves it's container and deploys. It's not a given, but I think it happens more often than not.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ok Here we go...
Scenario..... Big pull out (leg strap with velcro on routing to the container)pilot chute in tow. Piggy back rig with shot and a halfs(J-1's, Capewells) Pack closure was with a bungie cord with a loop of the bridle thru the bungie as the pack closure. WAY too much parachute in the main container so the tension was so great it pulled the bridle so tight that it could not be extracted. VERY high speed headed for the planet being thrown at you.....

1: tugged at bridle... no good...
2: fired reserve It goes past the pilot chute......whew..
3: release of tension on the container allows the Parafoil out to play....
4. Cutaway the Parafoil (pull down covers.... pull both rings on the Capewells at the same time) but it still partially entangled on the 26' lopo.
5. spinning into the ground at a nice high rate of speed.
6. Best damn PLF position ever seen but thinking GOD this is gonna hurt.
7. Knee surgery to remove the bucket handled tear of the medial meniscus( knee cartilage)
8. Still breathing....but if the cutaway with that equipment had been performed.. maybe not.

25 years later......
New Procedures. New Gear.....thank heavens.
Pull the cutaway pillow on the right side a fraction of a second before the VERY BRIGHT NEON ORANGE pillow right next to left breast.
This is what I practice... this is what I will do...

Moral of the story... Hang some laundry out in the breeze just as soon as you can. You will breathe easier.... and breathing is the name of the game... as opposed to the alternative.

Amazon