sky-pimp

xmas boogie , elloy or empuriabrava ??

Hi everyone , newly registered on here , already have the bug and find myself tripping over my own feet as i am often walking around with my eyes pointing at the sky . Did my aff at elsinore but had a little set back on my 4th jump dislocated my arm B| OUCH . 10 months out then back to elsinore , Big thankyou to martin williams of PHD skydiving and the team pumpkin leader ..

anyways i jump at langer now and its a good crowd

lucky me has 3 weeks holidays to take before christmas anyone going to the sun jumping ??? .... not being a cold lover , give me some ideas where the DZ to be is and also i'm thinking of spending xmas doing what we love best , but where o where should i go ???????

any advice
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

Depends on what you want to do. Eloy has more reliable weather, although it can (and certainly did last December) get quite windy - and cold at night. They also have the planes. So if you fancy jumping a Skyvan, DC-3, Beech, a biplane (probably) or a balloon (definitely), then Eloy is the place to be...

Airfares might be a little expensive now, however, so you'd have to pick your dates well...

Richard
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

Eloy and Empuria have great xmas boogies.

Both have lots of planes and load organisers, but Eloy does have more of both.

Weather wise, Empuria can be windy, and typically, if its windy, its very windy, and for a few days (the Tramontana is a Northerly wind that lasts for several days). Both places can be cool, or dan right cold at night, and even in the day, you can hit some quite cold days.

Eloy also has a lot more vendors at the boogie if you want to check out some gear.

The jumps at Eloy are quite a bit cheaper then Empuria, and accomodation is cheaper around the DZ then Empuria. I think the bunkhouse at Eloy is already sold out for the boogie.

Empuria has nice food around the DZ, but there are some decent eats at Eloy too.

The partying is more at the DZ at Eloy, as opposed to Empuria which sees the partying in town in various bars.
Remster

Eloy and Empuria have great xmas boogies.

Agreed! :)

Weather wise, Empuria can be windy, and typically, if its windy, its very windy, and for a few days (the Tramontana is a Northerly wind that lasts for several days). Both places can be cool, or dan right cold at night, and even in the day, you can hit some quite cold days.

Empuria can be a bit hit and miss with weather in winter... but if you are unlucky with weather there is loads to do. You can explore the beautiful village of Castello (just inland), check out Cadaquez, the ruins at Empuries, the Dali Museum at Figueres, spend a day in Barcelona or go on a tax free shopping spree in Andorra!

and accomodation is cheaper around the DZ then Empuria.

Not sure I'd agree with that. Last year gremlin and I paid $55 per night (i.e. ~£15 each) for a nasty motel in Casa Grande. This year we are paying just under 12 euros per night each (i.e. ~£8.60 each) for a nice self catering apartment in the centre of Empuriabrava.

Empuria has nice food around the DZ, but there are some decent eats at Eloy too.

No competition here - the food in Empuria is amazing! The food around Eloy is... plentiful! :P

The partying is more at the DZ at Eloy, as opposed to Empuria which sees the partying in town in various bars.

The partying in Empuria over Christmas - and especially New Year - is just crazy with bars staying open until stupid hours of the morning. The beer in Empuria is definitely superior to that in Eloy - even if you do have to pay for it! ;)

On balance I think both boogies are awesome. If the flights were cheaper, I would have gone to Eloy again this Christmas - mainly because of the better weather. Sadly flights to Eloy were £500+ whereas flights to Empuria were £50!

Both are cool and I think it depends what you want from a Christmas boogie. If you just want to pack in a lot of jumps, then Eloy is a good place to be. If you want a complete holiday with some jumping with amazing scenery, some partying and some sight seeing then Empuria is a good bet.

Vicki

The beer in Empuria is definitely superior to that in Eloy - even if you do have to pay for it! ;)

What, is it just some domestic crap like Bud/Coors? I suppose at the bars in Spain they would have good variety, but Spain isn't known for its beer in general. I'll drink San Miguel or other Spanish beers, but Spain is generally limited to a few lagers (still better than Bud/Coors though).

Hi,
I spent many years living in Empuria and they have a great boogie and great parties but I must tell you that we had less people the last 2 years...and also had a lot of wind wich means not many jumps...
I am now at Eloy and it sounds it s gonna be much bigger here; the jumps will be also be for only 16$ for the xmas boogie...
For my point of view, if you have time it will be worth it to travel to Arizona!!!

Come to Eloy and jump with "Team Flail".

I'm a "Flailer" and put all of the flail loads I video on my web site. So you can watch yourself online and send the link to your friends.

And the desert gets cold at night, so bring warm clothes.

Reserve time in the wind tunnel now. It's a great tunnel.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

What apartments are you staying at?? That's a good price!

Not sure I'd agree with that. Last year gremlin and I paid $55 per night (i.e. ~£15 each) for a nasty motel in Casa Grande. This year we are paying just under 12 euros per night each (i.e. ~£8.60 each) for a nice self catering apartment in the centre of Empuriabrava.