SSkydiver

Bad landings

I posted this in the General Skydiving Discussions and thought i would try here to. Lately my landing have been of as far as my flare. I used to jump a PDF Merit 170 and recently purchased a Sabre2 170 (1.1 WL) I only have 6 jumps on the Sabre2 but this problem started when i still had the Merit. Yesterday on my landing it seemed as if one second i was at 20 feet off the ground and the next second i was at 2 feet. I did flare but to low and came in for a skid landing. I do seem to find myself looking down at the ground instead of forward so basically i am killing my pheripheral vision. All i see is the ground go by but not how high off the ground i am. The landing i have problems with are days with lille to no wind. 0 to maybe 5 mph. My approach is good, my awareness around me is good by my landings suck and the last landing seemed to go by in a flash. I'm looking at geting some of my landings videod to help me out because i'm starting to get frustrated. What am i not doing? Am i possibly trying too hard to get that perfect landing? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Norman:

i previewed your profile, and with your jump numbers already being on a Sabre2 even at a 1.1:1 is going to an extreme. i'm not saying you cant do it. the Sabre2 wants to glide flat, while the canopy you were flying wanted to "sink" in. check out your landing area, whereever you plan to land and make sure it's clear of any debris, and if on a bigger dropzone, make sure you don't do this around a whole heard of already landed sky divers. on your final coming into the ground, don't look down, keep your eyes looking forward, and lift one foot under your tail, and have one leg sticking out, when you finish you glide (more brakes equates into more "bottom end") and feel the grass/turf finish your flair, and just surf out the landing until your low and slow enough to bring your canopy to a complete stop with you still standing up. once i come in, i do the same thing, i just fly the canopy, i don't let the canopy fly me. i just "ski" right on in! it's a blast. bear in mind, i'm just now getting into the "surfing" game, and there are plenty of others here who can help: ie: hooknswoop-AggieDave-ChuckBlue and gang. good luck.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

***: Norman:

i previewed your profile, and with your jump numbers already being on a Sabre2 even at a 1.1:1 is going to an extreme

a little dramatic don't you think? I know several people with low jump numbers who fly Sabre 2's just fine.It's a nice, docile canopy at lower wing loadings. A Spectre is a tapered canopy also.Would you not recommend one to someone with less than a hundred jumps?
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

i previewed your profile, and with your jump numbers already being on a Sabre2 even at a 1.1:1 is going to an extreme

a little dramatic don't you think? I know several people with low jump numbers who fly Sabre 2's just fine.It's a nice, docile canopy at lower wing loadings. A Spectre is a tapered canopy also.Would you not recommend one to someone with less than a hundred jumps?

Well in the new dutch rules you really need 100 jumps before you can jump a sabre2/safire2...

BTW you need 25 for a spectre, and can start out on an original sabre.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Well in the new dutch rules you really need 100 jumps before you can jump a sabre2/safire2...

BTW you need 25 for a spectre, and can start out on an original sabre.

Another rule that defeats its own purpose? It equates shape with behavior in a way that fails to account for improvement in design.

AT SDC first jump students go out on a Sabre2.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I know several people with low jump numbers who fly Sabre 2's just
>fine.

Of course. It is not a good canopy to be flying, though, if landings are still sort of just catching you by suprise.

>It's a nice, docile canopy at lower wing loadings. A Spectre is a
> tapered canopy also.

A Spectre is considerably more docile than a Sabre 2 even at the same wing loading.

>AT SDC first jump students go out on a Sabre2.

I thought the first jump at SDC was _always_ a tandem (formerly had an option for SL.) Has this changed?

Depends if you define a tandem front rider as a passenger or a student. I think FAA defines them as passengers.

>Depends if you define a tandem front rider as a passenger or a
>student. I think FAA defines them as passengers.

So I take it from your response that, during the normal student program, 2-3 tandems during which the person in front receives instruction are required. I would agree that, after 3 jumps during which someone learns basic canopy control, they could safely be put on a larger Sabre 2.

***Post: >I know several people with low jump numbers who fly Sabre 2's just
>fine.

Of course. It is not a good canopy to be flying, though, if landings are still sort of just catching you by suprise.

>It's a nice, docile canopy at lower wing loadings. A Spectre is a
> tapered canopy also.

A Spectre is considerably more docile than a Sabre 2 even at the same wing loading.

I understand all of this. I was more or less making reference to the use of the word "extreme".I just thought this in itself was a little extreme;)

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

>Depends if you define a tandem front rider as a passenger or a
>student. I think FAA defines them as passengers.

So I take it from your response that, during the normal student program, 2-3 tandems during which the person in front receives instruction are required. I would agree that, after 3 jumps during which someone learns basic canopy control, they could safely be put on a larger Sabre 2.

I believe two tandems are still a pre-requisite. I'm not an instructor or TM and don't pay all that much attention to the details of the instructional program (which is constantly evolving). When I did it the tandem *student* was expected to do two ripcord touches, deploy the main at 5,500ft, steer the canopy with the toggles, and flare.

I want to know if anyone has suggestions and advice on how i can improve my landings and become a better skydiver.

Okay. Learn to really fly your canopy and your landings will improve.

Seek canopy control training. Travel if you have to, but get to a dz that offers a canopy control course and complete it.

You can also buy a canopy control video - I recommend the one from Skydive U. Do the drills. Depending on how you learn this might be okay, but I'd still recommend a formal coached course.

At a minimum have someone video your landings, then have someone who knows something about it critique them. Many times just seeing what you are or aren't doing will help.

Pull at altitude.. 13,500 feet over and over again.

Flare over and over again. Flat turn.. Fly in brakes.. Get use to slow speed flight. The more time you spend under canopy even if it is just basic flying, turning and flaring the better you will become using it.

You will also build confidence.

I have less than 400 jumps but more canopy time than most people with 1200 jumps.

I have at least 200 hop-n-pops from 13,000 feet or higher = 2,600,000 feet flown under canopy in those 200 jumps alone. Another 175 jumps deploying at an average of 3,000 feet = 525,000 feet flown + 2,600,000 feet is 3,125,000 + feet flown under canopy. With actual pull altitudes I am around 4,000,000 feet flown right now. I never pull below 3,000 feet. Average when not doing a hop-n-pop is about 5,000 feet.

Average jumper of 1200 jumps average deployment of 2500 feet = 3,000,000 feet flown.

Average jumper at 375 jumps = 1,125,000 feet flown under canopy with average deployment of 3,000 feet.

Do the math. Time under canopy, while actually trying to improve some aspect of your canopy flying "should" result in you doing much better. You will build muscle memory and have no choice but to improve. But allways be trying to improve something a better canopy pilot gave you to work on.

I am at 375 jumps after this weekend. 175 of which have been on my crossfire2, 97. Loaded over 1.9. I'm not bragging just showing you that your skill will be where you put your energy. I love to fly canopies more than ANYTHING else. So I fly. I learned from hooksnswoop, and Charlie Mullins everything I could get out of them. Hell I bugged Hook all this weekend to coach me. ANYTHING I can get out of him to make me a better canopy pilot is worth it.

If flying your canopy is where your trouble is than spend lots of time doing it.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeagh, what skybitch said..;)

Rhino

Ok guys, i dont want to piss anyone off or anything, but i really dont care about tandems and who can fly what canopy in Europe. I want to know if anyone has suggestions and advice on how i can improve my landings and become a better skydiver

Great Reply SSkydiver!

First, have some one video your landings, not just one but several. If the problem you are having occurred under both canopies, the common factor is you.
Without seeing your landings all of the "experts" can only assume, (and you know what that means), they know what is going on. Find a good canopy pilot at your DZ and have him review your landings. More than likely that will help solve your problem more than these posts. If not, there are several here who would be more than happy to help.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

As always thanks for all the help. Amazing the things one can learn and absorb on this site. I got alot of different ideas from several people and now i can apply some of this advice which in turn will just make me a better pilot and safer skydiver. Thanks everyone.

P.S. Does "Fly like a Pro" help any? I just got that along with "Pack like a Pro, Body Pilot in Command, Trouble Free Zero P and Breakaway>

Ok guys, i dont want to piss anyone off or anything, but i really dont care about tandems and who can fly what canopy in Europe. I want to know if anyone has suggestions and advice on how i can improve my landings and become a better skydiver

Great Reply SSkydiver!

First, have some one video your landings, not just one but several. If the problem you are having occurred under both canopies, the common factor is you.
Without seeing your landings all of the "experts" can only assume, (and you know what that means), they know what is going on. Find a good canopy pilot at your DZ and have him review your landings. More than likely that will help solve your problem more than these posts. If not, there are several here who would be more than happy to help.

Blues,

J.E.

It all seemed to start about the last 5 jumps on the old main i had and seemed to follow me to this new main now. I'll apply all the things i have learned on this thread and improve my landings. Thanks Coach

Looks farther out towards the horizon atleast 60 degrees from from the perpendicular of the ground (ie 30 degrees below looking straight out). Have you had your eyes checked recently? Maybe your eye sight has gotten worse... just a thought, it happened to me at one point.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Flying the canopy at height is one thing but its not the same thing as actually landing it, or landing it between obstacles. Also if you are doing solo's you don't have an objective reference to work off as such its not as good.

SSK:

Get video of your landing and get an instructor to review and talk you through it.
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus