somethinelse

Need to Find a Midwest DZ W/Rental Gear 4 Winter Jumping?!

Help Me if you CAN!

Soon will have my A official. I really want to jump SOME over the winter-

BUT my DZ will be closed...AND although Tecumseh WILL be having some winter jumping they won't have any rental gear available.

Where can I go to get in my winter jumps- IF I need to rent my gear?

I'd appecaite your input and all CREATIVE IDEAS ARE WELCOME too!

BLUES- LiLa.

Yeah...It IS looking like that'll be the only option. Maybe...

HOW ABOUT SKYDIVE CHICAGO?

DO they have rental gear available in the winter for hardy souls who wanna keep current BUT who don't have their own gear?????

If I do trek SOUTH to get in currency jumps-
Will I get greif b/c I ONLY have 25 jumps and a hot off the presses "A" License?

Where are the truly NEWBIE FRIENDLY DZs?

Heya Ladyskydiver!

Wisconsin! That's possible...Where is East Troy situated in relation to Michigan? I live on the West -side of Central Michigan, so to go either East or West I need to travel North or South FIRST to get around the Lake.

State to state travel can be "interesting" when you live in state that's a peninsula that for the most part is surrounded by water, ya know?!

Blues!
-LiLa.

HOW ABOUT SKYDIVE CHICAGO?

DO they have rental gear available in the winter for hardy souls who wanna keep current BUT who don't have their own gear?????

They sure do. I'm not sure what kinda gear you were using at tecumseh, so just make sure you talk to an instructor at SDC. We have gear available with different size mains, they'll make sure you get the proper one for your skill level. :)
Also call manifest before you come out just to make sure there is jumping going on that weekend.

And most important, let me know so i can meet you there and say hi. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Thanx...
A needed a little perspecive.
I'm gonna have to get out my mapbook and figure out a game plan for checking out different dzs for winter jumping possibilities I think.

I tell ya, If a dz is a cool place, WHEN IT'S COLD- It should be even more so when the weather's good..So will consider summer junping again if a place workes out well when I'm dong winter currency jumps.

:)

Hiya Sunshine!

SDC sounds good. And I DO know how to get to Chicago, anyways!

I have only been jumping at Central Michigan Skydivers this year. I just finished the requirements for my "A" and basically have been jumpng student gear. I've down-sized to 220, tho, and so far have jumped out of 182s mostly, and once a 206.
Will these be available or something like it at SDC this winter?

HMMM...So far, so good!

Blues!
-LiLa.

Hiya Sunshine!

SDC sounds good. And I DO know how to get to Chicago, anyways!

I have only been jumping at Central Michigan Skydivers this year. I just finished the requirements for my "A" and basically have been jumpng student gear. I've down-sized to 220, tho, and so far have jumped out of 182s mostly, and once a 206.
Will these be available or something like it at SDC this winter?

HMMM...So far, so good!

Even though i'm giving you the info you want, please be sure to talk to an instructor when you arrive. Anyhoo, the rental gear is sabre2's ranging in size from 150-260, so you'll find something that is right for you. Keep in mind that they are ZP (not sure if you've jumped ZP or F111). In the winter we use the C182 for jumping. Everyone there is super friendly so we'll make sure you have a good safe time when you come visit.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I do love winter. Just need to dress right, RIGHT?
Any special tips about how to gear up well for winter jumps? I want to keep current. Will only manage to get in one monthly probably!

Northern winters can be ROUGH! But even if they are not, with needing to travel to places to get rental gear, I'll really be going against the odds of having the [:/]rare beautious winter weather happen on a weekend day.

What's a really RELIABLE WEATHER SITE to check to plan out winter jumps for weekend travelling????

Thanx

Also, re: SDC- the website might say they are closed, but chances are on a sunny weekend, they will be open, so call first! The twin otters and a lot of the staff will be in Mexico for most of the winter, but some folks will stay behind!

Dress like any other outdoor winter activity, in layers that you can shed and put on as needed. Remember your not in the wind long and other wise its just another winter day. Except for your hands and face.

Specialty items. I use a silk or very thin http://www.wintersilks.com/product.asp?branch=&page=1&id=66&src=tlga&kw=Silk_balaclava[/url] polypropylene balaclava under my helmet. Warm enough and keeps the cheeks covered. I've seen people use lots of other face masks but this is secure and doesn't go anywhere.

Gloves need to be thin and warm. Some people put latex gloves under leather gloves to stop the wind. But I don't like have wet hands. I usually use snug fitting Thinsulite insulated leather gloves [url]http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1834955&cp=1855607.1832080.1831968&parentPage=family
They have them for women too. Or for extreme cold, neoprene scuba gloves WITH polypropylene liner gloves underneath. Again the liners wick the moisture away. On moderate days you can just use unlined leather "skydiving" gloves. I wear Neuman tacky football gloves all year. They also come in insulted version. Wave as you drive by Kalamazoo.:)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE