roni.reed

Skydiving in Germany

You are probably asking because your next base will be in Germany?
Do you already know, where this would be (Baumholder, Grafenwoehr, Heidelberg, Ramstein, ...)?
If you want to, just come to skydive Houston next weekend - you can probably drive there with Brandy and we can go through any questions you might have.
On the other hand, here are some short information:
As far as I know, the Vigil is jsut banned for student rigs - not if you jump yout own. The places I know accept the USPA licence and if you are just jumping there for a couple of weeks, they sometimes don't require that you join their club or get the third party insurance (which you do not have with your normal USPA licence - at least not the required covery)
The whole waiver process is much shorter than in the states:)blue skies
M.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

A third-party liability property damage and bodily injury skydiving insurance is included in USPA membership.

But since mid of 2002 third-party liability skydiving insurance in Germany must cover for a minimum of 1500000 EUR for each occurrence of property damage AND a minimum of 600000 EUR for each occurrence of bodily injury (Luftverkehrsgesetz).

I couldn't find exact USPA insurance data to compare with. But i think the coverage is much less. So it would be wise to get some german third-party liability insurance.

Stefan

As stated before, the only really approved AAD is Cypres 1 + 2.

Vigil is definitely not approved by the jumping association for anyone.

You can get good third-party insurance for less than 50 Euros a year (GFF Card), so you don't need to join a club if you don't want to.

Are there any rules about what size canopy you can jump

well, common sense will take care of that, if not any decent jumper will only let you jump what you are familiar with. If your jump profile is correct you will also find you will need your license and most definetly your log books and reserve card fi jumping your own equipment. Out of curiosity, what size canopy are you thinking of jumping? I am imagining you are not crazy enough on 20 jumps to jump anything below a 135.....are you?;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

There are no rules for the canopy size but without a license you can't jump at all. As soon as you got at least your A the DZ will check your logbook and probably wants you to jump with a coach depending on your jump number to check your abilities.
However, if you appear to be dangerous in the sky or during landing due to to small canopy sizes or lack of skill you normally will be grounded - not by law but by common sense. Rental systems on DZ are normally in the student range and go down sometimes to 150 or even smaller.

The German equivalent to USPA (DFV/DAEC) started this year a system of voluntary endorsements for different types of skydiving. So whatever you want to do (camera, freefly, RW) you should have an endorsement in your logbook to do it. saying that someone gave you kind of ground school and jumped with you. Some DZ take this very strict and won't let you jump without it - others don't care.

And yes - being in the US now since June - I didn't notice that the DFV has withdrawn its VIGIL approval as of October 01, 2004. So right now just Cypress is approved as an AAD.

So when are you planning to be there?
vSCR No.94

With or without your A? Did you ever jump that canopy before? How big is the reserve - could you handle this one too? Where will you stay?
And finally - how about coming to Waller for one weekend?
And one website: http://dfv.sci-network.net/
This is the German "USPA". The direct link to the page with DZ addresses would be http://dfv.sci-network.net/adressen.php
Hope this helps.
Oh, don't forget to take really warm stuff with you, if you want to jump during the winter (that's the part of the year with snow and ice - I know, very unusual in San Marcos I guess;))
Blue skies,
M.
vSCR No.94

Hi Merkur,
you are explaining all that well! Pls do not forget one important thing:

By end of September, most German DZs are closed!
Depending on weather conditions, only few big DZs keep their doors open on weekends. And in winter... it's all over. Large DZ's go to winter camps, to Perris, Spain.

:D Christel :D

dudeist skydiver # 3105

i am not an instructor so what i say is only an opinion.
I belive you at your weight you should be on a 150 when you have your a' license, Or even a 170 for a little while. Do not however be in a rush to downsize to much. All this swooping makes alot of students want to start getting into this but, everything takes time. You will have no problem jumping a 150 anywhere as this is a pretty standard size canopy for someone of your weight...but maybe you should think about jumping a 170 a few times to see if you really want to go down to a 150. Always ask your instructor because they are the only people at the moment that know your capabilities and what you should be using. Never hurry downsizing though. The time will come. I have just bought a 150 and it arrives in a few days, i usually jump 170 and am nervous about the downsize but also cant wait.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I have never had a problem at drop zones in Germany, France, UK, Netherlands, Spain and Belgium; USPA was accepted generally, though you may have to pay a club membership type fee at some locations.
Get your license and bring USPA card and logbook. Bring your own gear and make sure it's in date and squared away. Cypres is mandatory at some locations. Learn some of the language as well as it helps at most places...I managed to stumble my way through various adventure around the continent with very rudimentary language skills, at best, however...
I always felt welcome wherever I jumped in Europe and was always assisted by a local wherever I was to ensure I knew the rules and how things operated. Great people and great skydivers.
Let me know where you'll be more specifically by PM and I'll give you information I have for a DZ in that area if I've been there.

pms

oayher's my take on jumping in germany wich i did for 2 years backin 2000 and 2001...

you might need to have a doctor fillout a health statemnt for you, your uspa insuranc is only valid if the offence is brought up in german court but the places i jumped never madea big deal about it. i started jumping there wheni was off student status but had no liscence, they just made me pack under the supervisionof an instructor, baicly the had me have my line stows checked....and i had to jump a aad equiped rig, once i got my lisc inthe ststes they let me do whatever i wanted. they didn't have diffrent lisc requirments, just jump number requirments... my dz was open year round but mostly in the winter it was only hop n pops..... it was a great time.... if ya have anyquestions that i canhelp with concerning an american jumping in germany let me know andi can let ya know all i can... or if i cant help i have a friend that is jumpingthere now i can put ya in touch with...

Thanks;)
Off topic: How was your jump (Haven't been in the German forum yet)?

Back to the issue: My DZ always finds enough stupid people to bring up at least some loads - even after september. Freezing - yes, but still funny.
vSCR No.94

Off topic: How was your jump (Haven't been in the German forum yet)?

Which one? :S
Made several with my feet ! over the "ponds" all around ... >:(

Back to the issue: My DZ always finds enough stupid people to bring up at least some loads - even after september. Freezing - yes, but still funny

Under normal conditions, I'd love to be such a fool, would run for every load available. But as for my "very first jump" after 4 1/2 months and 2 kgs of metal in my leg?? :S I'm not that sure and will look for best outer circumstances. Must not be Germany! B|B|

Christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

By end of September, most German DZs are closed!

Ours isn't :)
We jump all through the winter. I don't think we will be using the Grand Caravan in december through janauary though. There are not that many people willing to jump in winter.
But we will be using our C182 and jumping every chance we get:)
Roni, you will be made welcome at our DZ, however, I suspect that you will be based in the south of Germany and we are in the north. www.fallschirmsport-marl.de
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

From what I found out, the nearest DZ (about 40km / 25 miles northeast) is at Hassfurt.
FSZ Hassfurt e.V.
Flugplatzstrasse 20
D-97437 Hassfurt

Link: http://www.fsz-hassfurt.de/FSZHassfurtEV/public/news/news_Index.jsp
I think that they are closed during the wintertime but you should contact them, to get an updated schedule. If I find something else, which is close by, I'll let you know. You should also post your question in the German forum (Stammtisch).
blue skies,
M.
vSCR No.94