BPO

Cypres & FXC on student rig?

Hey all,

I've been reading some APF-newssheets. There is a note about a student with an FXC fitted to the main canopy and a student cypres on the reserve.
I've personally never heard/thought of this combination before, but it sounds somewhat logical.

Question is: is this setup often used for student rigs?

Just wondering..

Well - I think it's fucked up. The FXC has a range of 1000 ft. 500 up or down. Most DZ's I've seen using then have them on the reserve set for 1500 so the range is 1000 (About Cypress) to 2000 (end AFF pursuit) Any higher and they fire all the time.

Now we have 2 AAD's on the same rig, on different canopies, with intersecting ranges... and a student in there to spice stuff up.

That's fucked up.... That's not safe, no matter how safe you're trying to be. Maybe they should put another cypres on the reserve as well. Just in case the one fails.

t

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Thanks for the replies, but my question remains.. are there any dropzones where placing an FXC on the main and another AAD on the reserve is considered normal?

When doing AFF it's probably not a good idea, but there are a lot of smaller DZ's that don't offer AFF.

The FXC has a range of 1000 ft. 500 up or down.

When field-testing the FXC 12000 in an altitude chamber, the allowable range is plus or minus 300 feet when the unit is set to fire at 1000 feet. There are no required tests for other altitudes.

The sticker on the side of the control unit says the planned opening altitude must be at least _1500_ feet above the set altitude. If you set the firing altitude to 2000 feet, you should end any pursuit at 3500.

Mark

There's 1 DZ in Toronto that was (maybe still is, havent been there in a5 years) using 2 FXC: 1 on the main, 1 on the reserve. This was for student jumps, and the activation altitude were set to minimize the chances of 2 out (bare in mind, even with 1 AAD, you have a chance of 2 out). If you care to know, that DZ is STI.

Also, I think I recall Peris was doing something similar until a few years back... can some one confirm this?
Remster

I believe the air force academy uses the fxc on the main and cypress on the reserve setup. not exactly a dropzone but this school does it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, Rigging Innovations built a huge stack of Telesis student rigs for the USAFA with FXCs installed on the mains. That system was pretty good.

Unfortunately, when Perris Valley Skydiving School asked us to build a dozen more Telesis - but add a left side ripcord for AFF - they became a rigger's nightmare! They were expensive to build, difficult to pack and if the loop length was not perfect, hesitated. Three different activation methods for one main container was too much!
PVSS used to set their main FXCs to fire considerably higher (around 3500 feet) than Cypri.

A few years later, PVSS installed Cypri in all their reserves and one of my last rigging projects at Perris was to remove all their main FXCs and sew on double-ended BOCs instead.
In conclusion, main AADs are old school.

Skydive St. Louis (no longer operating) used to have CAP 3 AAD's on their main canopies, Cypres on the reserves. I believe they were set to go off (the CAP 3's) at 2500 feet. They never had 2 canopies out, due to this...but did have a couple main activations, saving the cost of the cypres cutter. CAP 3 is a mechanical device and there is no cost when it goes off.

Perris Valley used a FXC on the main and Cypres on the reserve for many years very successfully.

Before that they had the FXC on the main and no AAD on the reserve until the reaper had a near miss. :)
They now have BOC main and Cypres reserve.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166