PhillyKev

Incorrectly routed chest strap yesterday

>Are you saying that elastic keepers are bad also?

Oh please...

Elastic keepers are a good Idea. However, I can easily relate to the velcro scenario. If you pull the chest strap fairly tight and velcro it in place, it feels secure.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

ever since i read this on the wreck news groups back in 98 i became anal about the chest strap:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=fatality+chest+strap+group:rec.skydiving&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=rec.skydiving&selm=392ABA27.5A93B719%40net1plus.com&rnum=4

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

My 6th or 7th AFF jump....

Running to the plane, finishing up my gear with my instructor....
Hop on the plane, get up to 12k. AFF instructor gives me a gear check and a thumbs up. I look down and notice my chest strap is misrouted. I whacked my instructor (he who shall not be named) and pointed. He freaked out and fixed it up for me.

I learned then and there never trust anyone for your own safety.
You are responsible for your own skydive.

I do a gear check before I put it on, after I put it on. when I board the plane, at 5k feet and 9k feet and before I leave. Pin checks at 9k (Airspeed drilled that one in). I know I'm anal but I do it every time. If I miss one I still have 4 other ones that will catch a mistake.

If this sport is going to kill me I sure as hell don't want it to be for something stupid.

All right it's time for the Chest strap story I've been holdin out on.

I was in the back of the plane near the door ready to skydive at a dz I've only been too a few times. Normally the Tandems sit in the front of the plane. But the tandems were getting out at 9 or 10 grand so they were near the door. Sometime after take off The person in front of the student moved aside and I Watched the Tandem master give a gear check reach around and Pull the elastic keeper tighter. I casually kneeled in front of the student and to his obliviun, threaded the Chest strap and put it back in the keeper as several other jumpers watched in horror and glared at the Tandem master.

1) The Student was Dressed by a non jumper. Missed the chest strap after the student threaded it.
2) The student was walked out to the plane by some one other then an instructor or Skydiver for that matter.
3) instructor was on a back to back and met the student at the aircraft while in in a hurry (I was on a back to back as well so I didn't look at anybodies equipment but my own)
4) Tandem instructor was going through the motions but not actually checking.

I believe that if the tandem had been going out at full altitude it would have been missed altogether. I've made it a point to check all chest straps no matter where I'm sitting or if I'm just at the run up no matter how much of a hurry.

Ramp checks Are so important. It's amazing what gets missed sometimes. Not only did the instructor miss it, but every one else did too. I only noticed cuz I was staring at the guy watching him in a fit of nervous laughter, after the person sitting in front of him moved aside. That's not the only one I've noticed, but that's the only Tandem student I'm aware of.

3 points on the harness, and three handles.....
-
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

That jumper should be kissing your u know what! Thanks to your concern, he is alive today! You really inspire me to spot for these things now! AND I am still an AFF student. Yesterday, I noticed a that jumper (about to do a coach jump) did not have his RSL routed correctly. I really did not know how it was supposed to be exactly, but I alerted my JM who was also in the plane w/ us. It was promptly corrected.
Although the mis-routed line may not have mattered, the point was that one look told me it was not right either..
Safety first--make sure you are in good shape, then help others. It never hurts to have too many divers check your gear! Kudos to your alertness!!!B|

I don't let anyone on the plane unless they are geared up.

I have climbed out with my chest strap undone. One of three times I should have died.

If the person is one of those "cool" boys that like to have their gear lose...Ya know leg straps on, but not tight at all.

I ask them one simple question:

"If the pilot yells back for us to get out of the plane at 1,000 feet and you are between me and the door...Do you think I am going to wait for you to put your gear on? Or do you think I am going to go around/by/or push you out in front of me geared up or not?"

ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

>I don't let anyone on the plane unless they are geared up.

Years ago there was a jumper who got on a helicopter before he finished _packing._ He still had to close the rig, stow his PC, close his riser covers etc. Murphy is alive and well, of course, and we had a transmission problem on that flight. We didn't bail out (it was below 1000 feet) but it would sure be embarrassing to be caught without a packed rig during an emergency exit.

I found a tandem master sitting happily on the bench at 10K with his rsl attached to the little ring of the 3 ring assembly....

fucker didn't even thank me for saving his ass....

has nothing to do with a chest strap, just wanted in on the thread....

I like the 3 x 3 rule.
3 buckles (se metal leg - leg - chest)
3 handles (pc - cutaway - reserve )
3 rings (check both, and that the rsl is attached correct)

+3: altimetercheck, helmet, goggles :P

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."