Bluessurfer

Headcorn... The worse DZ in Uk!!!!

As a new skydiver with 13 AFF jumps l was looking for some nice DZ near home to jump. was then when l heard about headcorn parchute club in kent,England; just 1:50min by train from my town. l wrote an email asking a few questions and the reply came 1 month later....not really nice answer by the way.
after that, l asked them if it was possible doing some coached jumps to get my "A" licence , and the answer was..." you can't jump here until you have your "A" licence". thanks a lot headcorn parachute club!!! you're doing an excellent job to gain skidivers.

Yeah man gotta agree with ya on that one.

A good mate of mine there jumps there alot and had invited me down. I went, I saw, I legged it.
In my humble opinion headcorn is with out a doubt the most unhelpfull, unfriendly and depressing DZ in the country!

The mate of mine, he dont jump there anymore but prolonged exposure to deadcorn has wounded him deeply. We don't expect a full recovery!

Friend of mine was only a few jumps from Cat 8 at the DZ local to our Uni. When he went home for the holidays he phoned them up and asked if he could carry on from where he was, or at least repeat the last jump he just did so they can see he really was at the stage he said he was.

The reply he got wasnt exactly the best. He was told he would have to sit the first jump course again and start all over. Needless to say he went to Hinton (about an extra 90 mins from where he lives) and got his Cat 8 no probs.

But another of my friend's did his instructors course there, and said it was ok, but thats cos it had to be really.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Sorry to hear that Bluessurfer. However, do you think it's fair to damn a whole DZ based on the e-mail of one person? There are lots of lovely people who jump at HPC, although with that attitute you're never going to get to meet them...

After re-reading your post I was left wondering... Why would you need "coaching" to get your A-licence? Since you have less than 18 jumps you obviously haven't finished your AFF course yet, and therefore still need an AFF instructor (or CSBI/AI if you're on consols). I know it's not the policy of every DZ (it caught me out too) but HPC prioritises it's own AFF students and always has. When you do qualify, there are lots of excellent coaches at Headcorn to help you get your B-licence and beyond.

Good Luck, and I hope you find somewhere nice to jump :-)

Steph
-x-

After re-reading your post I was left wondering... Why would you need "coaching" to get your A-licence? Since you have less than 18 jumps you obviously haven't finished your AFF course yet,

are the requirements in the UK different than here in the states?

When I went through AFF, there were only 7 jump levels (7 jumps) I was required to pass.....
then I had to get coached jumps several times to get things on my card signed off....

what are the requirements in the UK..and are they different than here in the US?

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

Yes, in the UK AFF consists of 8 levels, followed by 10 consolidation jumps. After successfully completing all of those you qualify for your A-licence, which allows you to jump with non-instructors e.g. experienced jumpers and WARP coaches. I can't really elaborate on the requirements I'm afraid as I'm not an instructor, but the obvious difference is level 8, which if I remember correctly is a 10 second delay. Hope that answers your question :-)

Steph
-x-

Why would you need "coaching" to get your A-licence? Since you have less than 18 jumps you obviously haven't finished your AFF course yet, and therefore still need an AFF instructor (or CSBI/AI if you're on consols)***

Some american packages include the AFF jumps and then coaching in the consols so Bluessurfer may have been seeking the same ting.

The main point here I believe is that a UK dropzone was not intersted in helping a AFF student from abroad or else where finish off their consols. This happened to me, but I was lucky and had 18 out of the 20 jumps and found a good UK DZ.

Most DZ's don't want the hassle of taking on the responsibility of an unknown quantity, or are annoyed that people went else where for their course and then want to finish off else where.

Also I have to say there are some nice people at Headcorn, but as far as helpful and getting people to jump, they leave alot to be desired. My experiences only. Expensive, limited jumping and rediculous enforcement of rules which can endanger people. Found it not such a great DZ, but as I say, some nice people do jump there.

I had a similar experience after completing AFF jumps overseas but only doing half of the consolidation jumps. I called Headcorn to see whether I could go to the dz to complete the consols - the response I got was that I could come to the dz but if it was a sunny day I should expect to sit there all day and probably no-one would have time to talk to me. Like your mate I was unimpressed with that comment so I went to Hinton and after a dz briefing, running through emergency drills, and one jump with an instructor I was allowed to carry on.. a totally different response...

BUT the people at the shop there seem really friendly - and I only spoke to one person at the dz so I am aware that their attitude could totally misrepresent others at the dz...

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Thats a real great attitude to take. [:/]

So you didn't like the reply to an e-mail and all of a sudden Headcorn becomes the worst DZ in the UK?

When did you send this e-mail? i know they had problems with it not too long back which knocked the system out for a bit.

When it came back they obviously had a lot of replies to make, which could explain why yours was a little short.

I wont lie, there are some people at headcorn who really drag the place down, but at the same time there are a lot of really cool people who jump there :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Have to agree with Steph, started my static line course there and still love going down as many weekends as possible, 4 years on

Made some excellent mates and found the staff helpful and friendly

I can't really blame them for giving their students priority on busy days and for wanting to make sure they know what they are dealing with when students come from elsewhere.

However I realise this is annoying and that sometimes staff can tell it like it is a little to much for some.

Only hope you can come back and give us a second chance. If you want to contact a regular so you know a friendly face when you arrive I'm sure most of us would be only too happy to help

Sky Pikey

See... That's 3 lovely HPC people vs 1 nasty HPC e-mail (and as Zee explained there was a reason for that). Taffy and I will both be at HPC this weekend. So, if you've got your A-licence, we would be happy to show you around and introduce you to some of the excellent WARP coaches.

Looks like it's going to be a sunny one - and we'll be jumping the Let, who hoo!

Happy Birthday Taffy-bird :-)

Steph
xxx

Ooh, someone's looking for a shin-kicking!!!
Be warned Zee... J lost a shin-kicking fight with me in Empuria and had to fly flat for a week!

(actually, he had a bad shoulder, but we do now have video evidence of him flying on his belly - he he ;))

Anyway, you have to be nice to us flatties if you want to go to Rantoul...!!!

Steph
-x-

In my humble opinion headcorn is with out a doubt the most unhelpfull, unfriendly and depressing DZ in the country!

Punk!
Tis certainly not any of the above. Unhelpful (you spelt it wrong btw!:ph34r:) it doesnt mean to be but as Taffybird pointed out its impossible to cater for everyone at once, just give it a chance - being a skydiver you know that means more than an afternoon sometimes. Unfriendly - not my friends! And depressing! Thats obscene - I have never laughed, giggled and chortled more anywhere else on the planet!
After trying out a few UK dzs post-AFF I stumbled across Headcorn and decided it was my home dz. Not once have I looked back.
See you there if you come down!

It's not just Headcorn that's awful. I've jumped at Hinton twice, twice I've had extremely unpleasant experiences. On my second visit I spoke politely to 3 different members of staff on 3 occasions. Every one was rude and unhelpful and made me look stupid.

There's a guy who posts on here called 'Trigger'. Search his posts for his bad Headcorn experiences. Also, a friend of mine who's jumped in Florida and Empuria and the UK, was told by Sibson staff that he was too fat.

The thing is, there's no point telling everyone how bad the UK dropzones are, without doing something about it. I'm really angry that people here in the UK feel they can't jump at their local DZ because the staff are so rude. If senior staff from Headcorn don't reply with an explanation to these posts, I'm going to set up a website with footage of staff being rude, to name and shame them.

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience

The friend that I mentioned in my earlier post is Trigger.

If you know him, you'll know that he's one of the most friendly chilled out dude's around. It would take a place like Headcorn to pissoff a bloke like that!

***The thing is, there's no point telling everyone how bad the UK dropzones are, without doing something about it. I'm really angry that people here in the UK feel they can't jump at their local DZ because the staff are so rude. If senior staff from Headcorn don't reply with an explanation to these posts, I'm going to set up a website with footage of staff being rude, to name and shame them.

The reason they don't reply is because they don't give a toss, which is of course what this thread is all about. I say vote with your feet!

i left there ages ago,
the worst dz on the planet.
the most unhelpfull people(1 or 2 ok)ever

jane buckel is a con artist, she made trigger do 30 aff levels basically because he wasnt doing his 360's in place and on heading, and charged him extra for consoles to monitor him from the telemeter(with set things to do on each dive and if not correct, he had to re-do them). and charged for a QJ(qualifying jump).

go somewhere else
its almost comical how bad the place is, like something out of 'LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN', are you local??????

I live in the USA but my sister lives in Maidstone, Kent, about 15 miles from Headcorn.

Headcorn is the only DZ in the UK I have visited, so I can't compare with the others. However, I found the atmosphere there unfriendly and snobby - almost downright hostile to a visitor from overseas. Based on UK skydivers I've met in the US, I reckon next time I'm in the UK I'll give Headcorn a miss, despite its convenience, and try Langar

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.