vonSanta

Who's going to Aerograd (Russia) this summer?

As Aerograd (near Kolomna) is quickly becoming *the* place to be for northern European skydivers, I am wondering if any DZ.commers are gonna go there this summer?

I'm going, along with my sis and most of the more active Danish skydivers.

Aerograd has up to five Antonov-28's and a MI-8 helicopter (same price as AN-28's). $9.50 for a ride to 14k, $2.5 for a pack job, riggers and facilities available, Russian 8 way RW team available for coaching, and Zipster was there last year to train their FF coaches. And they're building a windtunnel.

Am pretty excited about the prospect of going there. Gonna have a chance to check out the AN-28 during the eastern boogie at my DZ, but I hear it's similar to the Skyvan.

It would be very cool if other DZ.commers are going. Due to the demographic makeup of the site, it's heavily tilted towards the US, but I know there are plenty of Eroopheeans (that's "furryiners" to Yankees :P) here.

At €280 for airfare back and forth and free camping, it's cheaper than going to the US. Can't beat the jump prices either. So come join us. It'll be fun :)
I hear the Russians are really crazy too. Gonna be cool to experience.

Edit: Link to Aerograd DZ

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Yep, we've been discussing it for some time now. Too early to tell what will become of our plans, but I certainly wouldn't mind going there for some 50 or 100 jumps... And it'd be a good opportunity to polish up my russian.
Ask me again in May or June, okay?;)

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!

I GOTTA FIND MY PASSPORT, THAT WOULD BE FUCKING AWESOME TO GO JUMP IN RUSSIA!!!! B|B|B|

Sorry for yelling, couldn't contain myself. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

That sounds cool.

Being an ignorant Englishmen i am afraid my Russian is pretty much non-existant. Whats the deal with the language barrier and coaching/load organising?

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

A good few people can manage enough English to communicate on a basic level; me, well, I do it for a living. :p And don't forget about the body language! er.. :)

On a vaguely related note, there were those two guys from Sweden in Borki the other day, and it sort of seemed funny that they, being from the same country and all, should talk in English between themselves too.

I've jumped at Kolomna Aerograd and it's the shizzle. Not many locals can speak english. However, there's a talented freeflying orthopoedic surgeon who goes by the handle "Crazy Doc" and he is fluent in the english language and a good guy also. Plus, he roots for the Chicago Cubs baseball team (he did residency here). Crazy Doc and others will ensure that language is only a phantom barrier for you.

PM me if you want more information, I'm investigating whether business will permit me to visit Kolomna this summer.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

Jerri81

Ask me again in May or June, okay?

Deal. I'm probably going for weeks 28, 29 and 30, but it isn't definite yet (gotta find out what the boss thinks about it :P)

mr2mk1g

My housemate and I would love to go out there for his 25th b-day in June... just trying to find cheap flights and think about Visa's.

Anyone know how to get there on a budget?

I can probably put you in touch with someone who knows all about the costs, Visa etc. I'll ask her if it's OK a Brit d00d asks some questions B|. I know that from Copenhagen, the trip back and forth is around 2800 DKK (£255).

WrongWay

I GOTTA FIND MY PASSPORT, THAT WOULD BE FUCKING AWESOME TO GO JUMP IN RUSSIA!!!!

LOL yeah man, and just a few years ago Russia was the big bad guy, and we'd probably be shot for going to this DZ :D. Hope you find that passport :).

Raistlin

I'll be there, despite the tremendous effort it'll take me to drive all of two hours to the dropzone!! But I promise, I'll make it just to meet you guys! :)

Bastard. :P

Hope you all show up. It'd be an impromptu "From Russia With Love" boogie B|. And I've seen some of the video from last year - there are some skychicas there worth noting. Or more than noting.

This is gonna be cool. B|:)

Santa Von GrossenArsch

the AN-28 during the eastern boogie at my DZ, but I hear it's similar to the Skyvan.

it's not similar.
looks like a plane, not like a shoebox with wings :P

ROFL!

Pink doesn't look like a shoebox with wings! :P

Santa Von GrossenArsch

There's a group of 6 people from Ireland and 2 from Scotland planning to go to Aerograd from the 9th - 26th of July approx. We're pretty set for flights but if anyone can give info about the present conditions on the DZ we would be very grateful.

We're thinking of staying in tents on the DZ. What are the facilities like? Is the wind tunnel running late into the night? Since we won't be staying in hotels, how do we get the invitation/tourist voucher we need to get the visas?

If you are either a student or under 26 years of age you can get really good deals on flights from the student travel association http://www.sta.com/

from the uk you can get to moscow for about £150 return including tax, which is well cheap!! bit of a shame old people cant get flights that cheap as well really :P

i'd love to go to aerograd, sounds like such a cool place, kinda lining up a trip next summer coz i already have 2 weeks in empuria lined up for this year.

Adam...thanks for the plug but the UK website address is statravel.co.uk but I don't know how to make it clicky. Fares at the moment start from £136 plus tax with Czech Airways, £149 plus tax with Air France, and so on upwards. By the way the Air France fare is open to all not just students.

PM if anyone wants more info cos I manage a branch of STA Travel in the UK.

*bump*
Wanted to keep it in this thread for continuity.

Well, if it all goes according to plan, me & George are gonna be there from July 8. to 22. or sometime thereabouts. Shout out if you're coming- I'd like to know who I'll be partying with.
I'm sure that with some effort (and enough vodka) we can put the American dz.com gatherings to shame.:P

Wanted to keep it in this thread for continuity

i'll help...
there's a pretty big group of us going there (2 groups actually)
soon, when we get the flights sorted out, we'll start looking for people to party with also B|
we like to party :)
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Well, about 30 of us left this weekend or are leaving next weekend. Some stay more than two weeks but the majority leave before we arrive.. I and three others leave on July 1st, and stay til July 25th. Raistlin, being the nice guy he is, will meet us at the airport and make sure *he* is the Russian who'll rob us dumb tourists of our excess money.

I reckon I'll know at least 6-8 poeple from my one little wee country over there, and they're far better drinkers than I am :P. Both my sis and I will celebrate our birthdays over there, so there'll be an excuse to drink, heh.

Dunno the size fo the bonfires over there. if it's like the rest of the country, it has to be *big*.

Santa Von GrossenArsch

Shout out if you're coming- I'd like to know who I'll be partying with.

I see, July is going to be a pretty busy B|
It would be nice to meet you at Aerograd! If you need help with getting to the DZ, I will be able to help you, just PM me.
If Raistlin meets you, tell him you are going ONLY to Aerograd. I know he would like you to jump at another DZ :P

I'm sure that with some effort (and enough vodka) we can put the American dz.com gatherings to shame.

Definitely :P

Raistlin, being the nice guy he is, will meet us at the airport and make sure *he* is the Russian who'll rob us dumb tourists of our excess money.

Make sure he will do it at Aerograd! Raistlin may want to take you to another DZ :P

Both my sis and I will celebrate our birthdays over there, so there'll be an excuse to drink, heh.

That will be a hard trick: drink all the night long and after 4 hours of sleeping return to jumping;)

Oh yeah; he's pulling hard for Borki, that's for sure :D.

I'll very likely visit Borki for a weekend, but I gotta stick close to my other travel companions in general.

Not to mention it'd be awfully lonely being the only foreigner at a DZ. Wonder if there would be any cute Rusian girls that could offer some comfort? :P

Santa Von GrossenArsch