petetheladd

small incident, full loop thru in harness

Just posting a relatively small event I had happen this weekend at the DZ.

Having finished a jump and popped at 2500ft, I was collapsing the slider when I noticed an 'oddness' to the harness straps.

my front riser strap was going to the rear of my rig, crossing the back riser strap, which was to the front - on both sides. Do a flare test - ok, turns not so good

Considering options - its 2000, seems to flare ok - which argues for riding it in.
However these forums are littered with 'someone had X happen, tried to ride it in and mangled themselves Y oh Y did they not use their perfectly good reserve'.

I figured the damn packer had rotated the harness through the lines but I'll deal with him when I get down outta this jam.

Flare tested it again and decided to ride it in but to be gentle with the turns.

Brought it in in a long straight in approach, flared ok and stood it up.

Then it was over to the packer, told him what happened and asked him to line check my canopy.

Damn Dude, its got a twist in it - no shit, which was resolved by rotating my rig through the lines 1 complete revolution.

Now I'm posting this in case someone else has this happen, they can benefit from my unexpected experience with a loop thru.

No, Not without incident

Did the same thing to myself the other day. When testing the canopy for responsiveness I was also looking at the twisted risers and was just glad that step-throughs fly and there was no need to cut-away as there seemed to be additional pressure on the cutaway cables in the risers from the twist.

lesson learned - be more careful when packing!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

I had my own "twist" on that one. When I was starting out, I bought a container, but was demoing mains. When I hooked up the risers to the 3-rings, I twisted ONE of them. With about 40 or 50 jumps, it freaked me out when I saw it under canopy, but it flew fine. Then I just wanted to fix it before anyone else saw...
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

As an aside, evertime I toss my canopy over my shoulder to Pro pack (i.e. everytime I pack), I always lift up the top line set (the front riser set) and make sure its a clean break all the way back to my rig. Takes two seconds and always proves to me that I have no walkthroughs or anything like that...

Blue Ones!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Exactly... that's what I do now too. The bitch of it when I packed myself the twist was that I noticed something seemed fucked up with the line groups, but someone was talking to me while I was packing and I spaced out and forgot about it. Oops.

Joe

I always lift up the top line set (the front riser set)

wouldn't the top line set be the control lines? Followed by the rear riser group, then the front on the bottom?

regardless, making sure that all three run back w/ no twists is the right thing to do.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Ummm - (bad at visualizng canpoy)...

When the canopy over my shoulder and I am facing away from my rig about to flake, I lift up the top riser line sets (rear riser I am thinking) and visually look back to see that all of the lines attaching to that riser set is up above the bottom (front) riser set...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Yeah, I could end up like the BASE jumper that didn't attach his bridle/PC to the top of his canopy, but just looped it through the ring. Earlier this year I believe.

No disrespect meant to that jumper or his friends/family. But that incident and ones like this should definitely make people focus on their pack jobs a bit better and not get complacent....

Joe

Separating the line groups, and walking them up from the risers to the slider stops (with the slider at them) should also give you an obvious indication if you have a step through... I usually do both the walk up and visual separation check.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

yep yep yep...

I made the mistake of taking my d bag out of the container to clean the container and should have repacked it. Before putting it back in, it looked like the PC went thru the line set so I pulled it (OUT) except it tuned out to be thru....

My next jump, I looked up and the risers were completely twisted. The canopy looked fine otherwise so I left the brakes stowed ( it llooked like it would complicate things with the risers twisted around ) and did my checks using the rear risers. Figured I could land it as is and went for it.

(that Danged BillVon, his name keeps popping in my head when the wierd stuff happens under canopy.. drives me nuts, ya know? LOL)
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1