Clownburner

Have you ever been injured while skydiving?

One sprained ankle from a stupid turn under a StarLite round, one dislocated toe from a Tandem student stepping hard on my foot during landing, and one sore knee (stressed ligaments) from trying to stop a Tandem student from falling down.

Not bad for 25.7 years in the sport.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

1 hard opening that apparently damaged the nerves in my back enough so that they bled and left the back of my legs black and blue for weeks. (hehe - I was married at the time... try hiding that from your husband!)

1 freefall collision resulting in 2 broken ribs, bruised lung, nerve damage in my arm, almost bit my tongue completely off, and trauma to stomach, diaphragm and intestines.

1 shattered/compressed tibial plateau from locking my knee on landing. DOH! Non-weight bearing for 12 weeks, 2 weeks partial and then 2 more weeks till I jumped again.

1 broken thumb from who-knows-what on a jump.:S

I've reached my quota, thank you. I am done with injuries.

Fall in dove.

25 years jumping
1 broken ankle (turbulence on final)
1 dislocated shoulder (DC 3 exit, 40 way)
50 stictches in forehead (canopy collision on opening)

When I made my first jump, my jumpmaster told us:

1 jump or 10,000, jump knowing that you will have a malfunction and you will get hurt.

he was right.

k8

One broken femur less than a year ago. I ended up with a rod and 2 screws in my leg. I also had a nice 5 night stay at the hospital in Aurora Illinois. I've made over 100 jumps since. I had to travel all the way from Az to do it too.:SThe only other injuries are sore back from hard openings or cameraman falling on me.:D

I think injuries are very common to jumpers. whether it be broken bones or scrapes and bruises. It is the nature of the sport.
B| Broken ankle.....w/ hardware

B| Knee problems

B| Back broblems

B| Chronic muscle pains

B| Neck injuries from video

B| And always the pccassional owies from hard landings

Be careful everyone!!!!!!!!
Que sera sera

I have had Broken Nose ( Someones knee in the face on exit ):S
Cracked Heel Bone ( end of swoop,foot clipped raised congrete bit in front of manifest ...jez..it hurt!! )B|
Broken Sternum ( Kneed myself in the chest after pounding bigstyle on a pond swoop)>:(
Oh and a Herniated Vertabre from a Tandem slammer

Perment neck pains from countless slammers during video....

Broken toe, messed up knee, something's wrong with my shoulder. Worst of all, I was running down the gravel runway a few weeks ago to talk to someone, tripped and REALLY took the skin off my knees and hands so I haven't been able to pack for myself. This is why I skydive. It's safer than staying on the ground.;)

Shattered L4 Vertabrae and destroyed right ankle.
2 weeks in the hospital, 5 surgeries. Somedays I hurt and somedays I think I'm stronger because of it. It's definately made me a better, more heads up, skydiver.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

10 years jumping....

Lots of bumps and bruises and a few cuts and scrapes here and there.

A couple of cracked ribs from a freefall collision.

A broken / shattered right ankle... broken Tib & Fib, 8 screws and a plate to put back together... while being a dumbass on landing once.

Touch wood... hope thats it from here on out.

sliced my hand open trying to push the roler door up a little further. Didnt appear to be a big cut but freefall must have made it bleed a lot cos there was blood everywhere on landing. Damnit I still have spots of it on my break toggles and slider...

Broken ankle on first jump of weekend. Flared far too low. Did not know the ankle was broken at first. Felt a "crunch", but thought I had just strained it. As I lay there saw my foot was at a funny angle to my leg, and then knew I had messed up. Oh well. Still recovering and intent on buying a bigger chute.
:)