flyer299

Do you stretched before you Jump?

I don't even know if this has any effect, but I was wondering today... All the other sports I've been apart of, I've stretched my body before I started, and this has help prevent injuries. I was wondering how many people carry this over into skydiving. Of course no amount of stretching will help you if you swoop into the ground, but would it be helpful for those harder than normal landings?

I haven’t been doing it yet, but I think when I go out tomorrow, I will have to add this to my routine.

Just a Thought

I always stretch now. You ususally stretch before you exercise and I think running out a fast landing would qualify as exercise. Also, if you take a tumble on landing, having your muscles stretched and relaxed will lessen the possibility of damaging connective tissues (ligaments).

Several studies have shown that stretching before exercising has little to no benefit as far as pulling muscles.

Look at it this way, you fly your body better if you're relaxed. You'll also be a better skydiver if you're flexible; moreover, you'll be less prone to have a muscle/tenden injury in the air (or otherwise, read: running out a landing) if you're stretched.

Not only that, but it feels hella good and is a nice way to start the day (no matter what you're doing).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't know about that article... (okay, so the guy that is quoted in it is a member of the faculty at my school, but...) Stretching helps a lot when it comes to flexibility and not pulling muscles. I've done a lot of really intense dance since I was really young, and I HAVE to stretch before I dance, or I will either not be able to bend the way I want to or else I will pull something.

I'm sure everyone who does freestyle stretches before they jump.

I know that's not really what we're talking about here, but just thought I'd put my $0.02 in. Interesting article, too, btw.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Speaking of stretching - - I recently HAD to start stretching. I took a few years off skydiving and just got back into it. In the 2 years between I have make some great progress in the gym. Adding extra muscle tends to decrease flexibility.

On my refresher training everything seemed cool. Then when I went on the coach jump I was having problems reaching my BOC deployment handle on my practice pulls - yikes. You can imagine the terror I started to feel. When it came time to deploy I stretched hard, and in the process became a little unstable, but managed to deploy nevertheless. But deploying should be very easy and natural - not something you have to put effort into.

I have since been stretching and am finding it easier to deploy with a BOC setup. However I am about to buy my first rig and will probably go with a leg deployment system as opposed to BOC. Any thoughts?