MattM

Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill isn't exactly the safest of jumps you could do, ie, alot more can go wrong than on a typical skydive. That said, if your gonna do it anyways....lol, you'd be better off doing it out of a 182 (slower exit speed than say an Otter) and if you don't want to visit your chiropractor and possibly reline your canopy, you'll want a sub terminal deployment. If you deploy unstable, you risk your bridal "gift wrapping" your partner around you and your rig. Be careful, consult everyone and anyone on your DZ that has either done one or has even thought of doing one, and yes, use a big canopy. Laterz -Tom

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

>Try to get IAD'd out of a 182.

DO NOT allow anyone to IAD you who doesn't know what they're doing i.e. is either an IAD JM or has done IAD before. An improper IAD resulted in a broken femur during a Mr. Bill attempt at Brown a few years back.

Mr Bills can be alot of fun, not that I know - the one I tried didn't work:(!
My attempt:
I ended up semi head down, with my legs in between the lines before my friend let go. It all went ok though, didn't get stuck or anything like that. The main reason it went wrong was that my friend had not climbed out enough before we let go of the rails, so as I fell away from the plane his swinging motion to get his legs around me caused us to pivot too much forwards. Its fun seeing it on video (a friend video'd from the plane, some funny comments followed from onlookers).
This was done on a 170 I have. I wouldn't say canopy size really matters, I would focus on getting a good stable exit and fast pull (not before you clear the plane though), then just hold on!

Try to get IAD'd out of a 182. The canopy choice should'nt matter as long as its a soft opening canopy.

What you want is a pilot chute asist: a kind of IAD but the holder of the canopy will have to keep the pilot chute until it's actually extracted from its hand. That way, the lines will always be kept in tension so less chance to wrap around the pilot and passenger.
It also helps to do it this way because the canopy will be out of the harness soon so you won't be in terminal velocity for the opening -but the canopy has to be packed to open slowly- so the canopy won't slam you.

Other point: the passenger MUST hold harness of the pilot BELOW emergency handles. You want me to explain this one?

I succeeded two times out of three tentatives and the two times was with a pilot chute assist. I must mention that one time we have been rolled a bit in the lines, but the fact that the lines were in tension helps very much the situation not to go worse and it unrolled easily.

Good luck, have fun and be safe (well, as much as possible B|;);)

S-P
===========================

done three and jumped camera on a few others
the way we did them the canopy guy sits in the door facing out
passenger sits on his legs facing in now the tricky bit
pilot chute is extracted and someone in the door holds onto it
the two roll out of the door and the guy holding the pilot chute waits till it is dragged out of his hand
you should have full deployment just out of the door
when the canopy is open the passenger can climb up and stand on the other guys shoulders
its easy to stand there just holding onto the front lines
then get the pilot to hit the brakes and just dive off
just don't use a wrist mount alti
there is a small hole in the dz at brunton somewhere
and make sure you get off in plenty of time as you will be jumping in dead air
have fun :)

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard.

done three and jumped camera on a few others
the way we did them the canopy guy sits in the door facing out
passenger sits on his legs facing in now the tricky bit
pilot chute is extracted and someone in the door holds onto it
the two roll out of the door and the guy holding the pilot chute waits till it is dragged out of his hand
you should have full deployment just out of the door
when the canopy is open the passenger can climb up and stand on the other guys shoulders
its easy to stand there just holding onto the front lines
then get the pilot to hit the brakes and just dive off
just don't use a wrist mount alti
there is a small hole in the dz at brunton somewhere
and make sure you get off in plenty of time as you will be jumping in dead air
have fun :)

Almost exactly the same method I tried. just 3 more points:
-try to do this out of a c-182/206 non cargo and ask the pilot to slow down at the maximum he can safely.
-I would suggest you sit on the step (over the wheel) facing the tail so there is less snag points for the pilot chute.
-when leaving, try to give the less momentum possible in a way to have less rotation; it will be easier to hold.

Enjoy!!!!;)

S-P
===========================

A couple of other points I thought off
if your jumping camera on one
make sure you know which way to break off
closing speeds are horrendous
and make sure its not p*ssing it down when you do a hop and pop from ten grand
unless your wearing a wet suit and have underwater cameras
believe me you can not get any wetter if you tried
and watching your canopy fill with water is a strange experience
every time you hit the brakes you get a waterfall pouring all over you :(

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard.

I've done one that was successful on the first and only attempt. Plan it out ahead of time to think of all the safety issues. I would not recommend IAD. It's just another added level that can go wrong. Deploy yourself. That way, YOU can decide if you are stable enough to deploy. There is plenty of time from release of the PC to bring your arm back to place around your passenger before opening shock.

Also, the passenger should practice climbing up 'you' in a hanging harness. They should realize that if they plan to use the lines to pull themself up, they need to do it evenly. My passenger was pulling one side, then the other. Made for a pretty wild ride of front riser dives.

Good luck!
Rock