NightJumper

Your opinions please

I was driving through Florida today on my way home and stopped at Zhills (Great place by the way), made a couple of jumps and said hi to Stacy and Galen. Next I stopped at Lake Wales about 6:30pm to see if they were doing night jumps and they were so I made a night jump. Now for my dilemma. After the night jump I was filling out my logbook for the day and a guy came over to me and asked if I had jumped there today because he had not seen me. I said no and went back to my logbook. Then he asked me why I was making entries in my logbook then. I asked who he was and he stated that he was a staff person there. I stated that first, this was not the only drop zone, second, I just did a night jump and third, it was not any of his business. The guy not being able to take a hint decided to ask me another question. Why if you did only one night jump is there two entries in your logbook. Having had enough I said that I would speak slowly and use small words. One entry is for the night jump briefing and one is for the night jump! At this point I walked away and had the S&TA sign my entries and left (should have stayed a Zhills).

The question is what would you have done and would you talk to the DZO about it?

In theory, most DZs require you to be current at that DZ for the day. You should be familiar with the DZ, current conditions, etc BEFORE you do a night jump. I am assuming that is why he was asking. Have you jumped there before??? I am not quite sure if I would want to be doing a night jump on my first jump at a DZ.

I guess he was giving you some shit for safety reasons if that was what he was getting at, but he could have been giving you shit because you didnt do a day jump and the DZ wants to get more money out of you for jumptickets.

Dont know, but I wouldnt worry about it.

In theory, most DZs require you to be current at that DZ for the day. You should be familiar with the DZ, current conditions, etc BEFORE you do a night jump. I am assuming that is why he was asking. Have you jumped there before??? I am not quite sure if I would want to be doing a night jump on my first jump at a DZ.

I guess he was giving you some shit for safety reasons if that was what he was getting at, but he could have been giving you shit because you didnt do a day jump and the DZ wants to get more money out of you for jumptickets.

I have jumped there regularly and have done 6 night jumps there. I had the feeling that he thought that I was "penciling in jumps".

In theory, most DZs require you to be current at that DZ for the day.

This was also told to me by Bob Hallet in Deland. He said even though I jump there all the time, and he knows me and knows I'm a regular, I still have to jump at the dz during the day in order to do a night jump that night.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

He was accusing you of pencilling jumps. Forget him, who cares. Sometimes I have a huge backlog of jumps to fill in that I do all at once. It's none of his business.

The question is what would you have done and would you talk to the DZO about it?

Ignored him, and no.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Well, I would have asked him point blank: Brother, what are you getting at? Have I violated some rule, are you curious about me or my actions, or are you writing a book? Whats up?
To sit there and field a bunch of quesations from someone you don't know....AFTER the night jump....WTF?
I wouldn't be a dick about it, but I would want to know where he was going with his line of inquiry.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Well, I would have asked him point blank: Brother, what are you getting at? Have I violated some rule, are you curious about me or my actions, or are you writing a book? Whats up?
To sit there and field a bunch of quesations from someone you don't know....AFTER the night jump....WTF?
I wouldn't be a dick about it, but I would want to know where he was going with his line of inquiry.

Yeah what he said.
Get to the bottom line what could it hurt.
It seems both of you tap danced around whatever was troubling you or him.

Blue Skies Black Death

It seems to me like the easiest way to respond would have been with just what you said in your post -- Made a couple of jumps at Z-Hills today, then jumped here, now I'm logging them... You answers did sound evasive.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

" One entry is for the night jump briefing and one entry is for the night jump" :S:o

Am I missing something here,?,,,that sounds like two
entries for one skydive....
I know things have changed some,, over the years,,, but we usually logged One entry / jump...:)"logged" briefings,, or training sessions...
Is that how all these people out there have "thousands and thousands of jumps"???
Either way... evasiveness and short snappy answers
to the staff persons' legitimate inquiry...should have been avoided...... peace... jmy
edited for spelling..:S

logging a briefing??? kinda odd, I guess. Its like logging tunnel time. Whats the point???

No point other than the briefing is required to be logged. 6.4 B 2b of the SIM states:

b. The training (including the date and location) should be documented in the jumper's logbook and signed by the S&TA, I/E, or USPA Instructor.

logging a briefing??? kinda odd, I guess. Its like logging tunnel time. Whats the point???

From the USPA SIMs:
NIGHT JUMPS
SECTION 6-4
B. QUALIFICATIONS
2. Participants should complete a comprehensive
briefing and drill within 60 days before the intended
night jump.
a. The training should be conducted by a Safety &
Training Advisor (S&TA), Instructor Examiner, or
USPA Instructor.
b. The training (including the date and location)
should be documented in the jumper’s logbook
and signed by the S&TA, I/E, or USPA
Instructor.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I would have just answered his questions amicably, kind of like he was a cop or something, and then get on with it and have a beer. It doesn't sound like this is a battle worth picking.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

he question is what would you have done and would you talk to the DZO about it?

I would have answered his questions.

From the tone of your post, it seems like you were annoyed, even offended by him questioning you.

IMHO, especially at the bigger dropzones, it's WAY too easy for someone to blen into the woodwork, then do something stupid.

At a bigger DZ, where you're less likely to know people personally, and people are less likely to remember you, it's critical that they challenge you when they see something that makes them suspicious.

Don't like people challenging you? Jump at smaller DZ's, where eveyrbody will know you.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.