stilettodude

PRO-RATING

You also have to land ten declared jumps IN A ROW within ten meters of target center, standing up.

I know lots of people who made it to jump 8 or 9 before blowing one of their landings, then having to start all over with jump 1. Each jump eneds to be signed off by an S&TA or BOD member.

Of course, those are the honest people who actually meet the requirements...

I'm actually kind of curious on people's experiences with getting the pro rating, recommendations, demo jumps they've done, etc. A rumor that I heard (from an extremely reliable source...he is highly experienced with demo jumps) was that a huge F-111 7-cell canopy was ideal for demo jumps. I understand why 7-cell may be more ideal, but I didn't understand why F-111 would be.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

There should be an article in Skydiving Magazine within the next month or so about getting a Pro Rating. The article is based on the experiences of folks that attended the Pro Rating School given by Jim Wallace at Perris last month.

[blatant plug]
If you just want the Pro Rating, then that's one thing, but if you really want to know how to put together a demo including the site survey, working with the clients, all the FAA paper work, planes, pilots, preparation and safety, I can think of nobody finer to learn from than Jim Wallace.
[/blatant plug]

There are rumors that he's going to start offering these classes twice a year now.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

F-111 lends itself to better "sinking." Jumping Sabres and the like, or even more performance-oriented mains, into tight areas is not the hot ticket. Those mains, while certainly capable in some demos, will put you and, more importantly, the spectators in danger due to their higher glide ratio when you have close "crowd lines". I have been into many a stadium (and I mean real, pro-type, bowl stadiums), but have never done so under a main smaller than 200 square feet. What impresses crowds most is the ability for an entire team to get into an area that tight, then land ON TARGET without injury or falling down. Having your teammates ass-surf into the end zone because they could not maintain stack discipline looks very unprofessional. Still, there is certainly a place for swoop demos (like at airshows and on the beach; places where you can set up a proper "runway").

Myself? I have had a PRO ticket nearly since there was such a thing. I got my original ticket on a Laser 7 250 and have since completed all the jumps on StarTracs, Vector tandem rigs and as small as a 75. Once you have the basic skill set, the accuracy portion is not a big deal. It's the additional stuff (flags, smoke, odd landing areas with tight glide clearance) that will make you nuts.

Chuck

Pro rating requirement has always been 500 jumps.

CDR

Wrong it was 250 when it started several years ago.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

[blatant plug]
If you just want the Pro Rating, then that's one thing, but if you really want to know how to put together a demo including the site survey, working with the clients, all the FAA paper work, planes, pilots, preparation and safety, I can think of nobody finer to learn from than Jim Wallace.
[/blatant plug]

Thanks for the blatant plug. As sick as it is, that actually sounds interesting to me...:)

There are rumors that he's going to start offering these classes twice a year now.

The next dates are August 23-25. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
And yes, I'll be flying video for that one as well. B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon