stylin

Sleeping Over

Well, they told me I had to be at the DZ at 8:00 for the next jump on a Saturday, and be 30 minutes early, over an hour away. No way Im getting up at 4:30 in the morning on a Saturday, so I have to sleep over thier in their bunkhouse Friday night, and I think that sucks. I swear thats going to be so boring, Im bringing my skateboard so Ill have something to do. They also have a swimming pool there so thats something.

Anybody ever stay over at one of these places? Im at the Eloy DZ in Arizona. Apparently, the bunkhouse doesnt serperate guys and women, maybe its just my imagination but that seems kind of "wierd". Out in the middle of nowhere and sleeping with the coyotes, hope one doesnt end up pullling me out of my bunk.

Any suggestions? Anyone? I dont know why Im doing that, really. Im not very serious about skydiving and this is a lot of trouble.

I've spent a few nights in the bunkhouse in Eloy. Take blankets, its the desert, it gets cold at night.

It can be fun, it can be boring, depends on who's around, really.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Any suggestions? Anyone? I dont know why Im doing that, really. Im not very serious about skydiving and this is a lot of trouble.

If you're not really serious about skydiving, why are you doing it?

Seriously, I think you had best take stock of why you are putting yourself into a dangerous sport when you're not serious about it. One does not have to have designs on being a world-champion skydiver to be serious about it; if you're only into it to say "been ther, done that", you and we would be better off if you just did a "tourist tandem" and went away. Complacency can kill you, neither you or the rest of us need that.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Well, they told me I had to be at the DZ at 8:00 for the next jump on a Saturday, and be 30 minutes early, over an hour away.

Skydivers that know what they're doing (especially at desert dropzones like Eloy and Perris in the summer) get to the dz early to take advantage of the air that is more cool and calm.

No way Im getting up at 4:30 in the morning on a Saturday . . .

I'm a little curious why you'd have to get up quite that early. Lemme see 8 am - 30 minutes early = 7:30 - 1 hour drive = 6:30. The way I see it you could easily wake up at 6 am as opposed to 4:30.

What do you do in the morning that takes so long?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Are you trying to make me puke?

You must have seen that movie "Cutaway", which is the stupidest movie Ive ever seen in my life. They mad a real sad attempt to copy the movie "Point Break" with a little "Blue Crush" thrown in, totally made me sick to my stomach. So many colors in that movie it made me think I was on magic mushrooms.

Who in the hell would want to live on a DZ, yeachh!!! Oh, gee, Im "cutting away". Why dont they just call the movie "Breakaway", makes more sense. Let me "cutaway" from my job, "cutaway" from society. If I dont like something, I think Ill "cutaway" from it. What dumbass makes up shit like that?

I think Ill send the CD to my sister, knowing her shed probably like it.

Sell your house
Quit your job
Move to the DZ
Learn to live off Ramein!

Ahhhh... the dream of cubicle drones every where.

I crash at the DZ on the couches as often as possible all summer long B|
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>Who in the hell would want to live on a DZ, yeachh!!!

WHOAAAA!!!! Thats one thing at a lot of JUMPERS actually want to do. If you live there all weekend long like most of us do then it only makes sense to actually live there all week long. Seeing as your still a student I can't image that you'd understand why we spend in excess of 10k a year to jump or why living in a trailer on the DZ is a great lifestlye that a lot of us would enjoy if they are not already living there.\

I know... don't feed the trolls....
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you're not really serious about skydiving, why are you doing it?

Good question. Im still thinking about that, and fighting the issue. I was only going to do it one time and move on. Its not the danger that's the problem, its the involvement. Surfing's my #1 and thats dangerous, so danger isnt an issue.

You build up a certain amount of insecurity over time if youre away from the coast, so I thought about using it to reduce insecurtiy next time I go out catching waves. Seems like a good idea, but all I really need is tandem jumps, dont really need any more than that.

I feel like theyre trying to push me into something, talking about get the A license and all that shit. Dont really know that I need one, Im not trying to be a skydiver, right? I keep wondering if theyre trying to get me to switch over or something, I dont know what it is, maybe just my imagination.

I was really down and out when surf season ended last year and winter set in, that was devestating, I had a hard time getting over it. The reaction was I started wanting to go hang gliding, but that didnt work out, so started skydiving.

Im going to go ahead and go on this tandem this weekend regardless, then surfing next weekend, then maybe I can get my prospectives straightened out and walk away from it.

Im pretty confused right now, trying to work it ouit somehow. What do you think?

Apparently, the bunkhouse doesnt serperate guys and women, maybe its just my imagination but that seems kind of "wierd".

How old are you??? Why would you ever have a problem with this???

Im not very serious about skydiving and this is a lot of trouble.

If you aren't serious about the sport then get out before you hurt yourself or someone else!!! I am also curios where do you surf in Arizona??

Believe those who are seeking truth. Doubt those who find it. -Andre Gide

Shower the night before, Starbucks, drive with the windows open.

This really isn't as difficult as you're making it out to be. Just call and reschedule for another day and time if you really don't want to be there that early.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Stylin these guys feel the same way about jumping as you do about surfing. It sounds to me that if you could you would live on the beech to be able to do what you enjoy most. I think the same goes for the guys that travel all over in a house on wheels just to jump year round.

Peace Don

WHOAAAA!!!! Thats one thing at a lot of JUMPERS actually want to do.

Yup. If I'm spending the weekend at my home DZ the others know not to even think about touching my couch. It's just so...comfy. Besides, if you sleep at the DZ you get to make first load!

Now I just have to make it to August so I can spend all 10 days at the World Freefall Convention.B|

HootyHOO!

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

>Who in the hell would want to live on a DZ, yeachh!!!

WHOAAAA!!!! Thats one thing at a lot of JUMPERS actually want to do. If you live there all weekend long like most of us do then it only makes sense to actually live there all week long. Seeing as your still a student I can't image that you'd understand why we spend in excess of 10k a year to jump or why living in a trailer on the DZ is a great lifestlye that a lot of us would enjoy if they are not already living there.\

I know... don't feed the trolls....

My condolences.

I can see moving to Bells Beach, Australia to become a full time surfer, but then again, surfing is the source and nothing else matters.

We are talking about skydiving here, and DZs. Surely youre not going to give it all up for that? Get serious, what are you trying to do, make yourselves miserable or just bore yourselves to death? Youre beginning to worry me. Go get a surfboard, Im going out next weekend.

Wake up, make coffee, take a shower, ect. That takes 1 and half hours. Then the drive out there. Im not driving out there half awake and then jumping out of an airplane in cold air.

An hour and a half to screw around before you're ready to drive out? What are ya . . . part girl? ;)

It takes 30 minutes sheets to streets even if I'm comatose.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Living on the DZ was one of the most fun things I ever did. Of course it depends on which DZ you choose and the people who jump there. Last summer I lived at Skydive Chicago in a big trailer on a beautiful wooded campground and I met some of the coolest, nicest people and had some of the best times of my life. I also now enjoy staying with all my drop zone friends on the weekends at my current home DZ, Skydive Monterey Bay. I recommend living at the DZ to anyone who has the opportunity even if just for one summer in your lifetime. We had bon fires, parties, went on canoe rides, swimming in the pond at night, made good friends, had good times, cook-outs, stayed up playing drinking games and cards went on outings, etc. All this with the people you get to jump out of airplanes with and bond with in the sky. In my opinion, life just doesn't get much better than that!!! B|

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Stylin,
It sounds like you need to move to Oahu where you can get the best of both worlds. I lived on N. Shore of Oahu for a few years where I learned to surf and there are 3 DZs 20 minutes away. My other passion is SCUBA diving and you can do all three right there, although Australia especially Bells Beach couldn't be too bad a place either ... hmmmm
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Living on the DZ was one of the most fun things I ever did. Of course it depends on which DZ you choose and the people who jump there. Last summer I lived at Skydive Chicago in a big trailer on a beautiful wooded campground and I met some of the coolest, nicest people and had some of the best times of my life. I also now enjoy staying with all my drop zone friends on the weekends at my current home DZ, Skydive Monterey Bay. I recommend living at the DZ to anyone who has the opportunity even if just for one summer in your lifetime. We had bon fires, parties, went on canoe rides, swimming in the pond at night, made good friends, had good times, cook-outs, stayed up playing drinking games and cards went on outings, etc. All this with the people you get to jump out of airplanes with and bond with in the sky. In my opinion, life just doesn't get much better than that!!! B|

Man, I dont know. Maybe its just me, but this sounds pretty weird. Most people dont understand why Im fanatic about surfing and think Im a little crazy, but they just dont understand it. Its an aquired taste and you just dont start liking it right away, it just takes a hell of a lot of work, I can remember those days, and why I wanted to keep doing it after getting curled under too many times.

Still, surfing is a lot more popular, so why is that? Its pretty dangerous in most places, so you can compare.

Troll, troll, troll your boat...

Gently down the net...

Besides, sufring & rugby is for guys too afraid to commit to skydiving. Not enough chance for massive internal injury in either one for my taste.;)

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™