Product Service Bulletin
Issue date: 28 April 2003
Bulletin number: 280403-01
Subject: Soft Reserve Ripcord Recall
Mandatory.
Compliance date:
Immediate.
Identification:
Mirage 27” Soft Reserve Ripcord, part #SH01-27, batch #M005128, mfd. 11/25/2001 –
5/10/2002
Background:
Mirage Systems has received 2 reports of reserve ripcord pins breaking under
apparently normal wear. Mirage Systems, working with the subcontractor who manufactured the
ripcord assemblies, has not been able to identify the cause of the failures. Detailed microscopic and
metallurgical examinations have been carried out with nominal results. Further investigation is
ongoing. Both failures occurred in a single batch of ripcord sub-assemblies manufactured in
November 2001. Other assemblies from the same batch were tested and were normal. However,
because both failures occurred in the same batch, in lieu of the discovery of a definitive cause and in
the interest of safety, Mirage Systems and the subcontractor, Capewell Components, have decided to
recall all ripcords from this batch for inspection and possible replacement effective immediately.
Action:
All Mirage owners with soft reserve ripcords should check the ripcord data panel,
found on the soft handle opposite the attachment Velcro. Suspect handles are marked “S/N M005128”.
Affected owners have 2 possible courses of action:
1. Return the ripcord ONLY together with identification and rig serial number to
Capewell Components
ATTN: Mark M.
105 Nutmeg Road South
S. Windsor, CT 06074
Capewell will conduct non-destructive testing and inspection and, if necessary, Mirage
Systems will replace and return the ripcord assembly, free of charge. Assemblies which pass
inspection will be so marked and returned, cleared to jump, by Capewell.
2. Contact Mirage Systems with the serial number of their rig to place an order for immediate
replacement at:
Mirage Systems
1501A Lexington Ave.
DeLand, Fl 32724
386-740-9222
[email protected]
Customers returning their old handles at time of order will be charged $15. Other orders will
be charged $64, but will be eligible for a $44 refund upon receipt of the old handle.
Customers shipping handles to either Capewell Components or Mirage Systems may use UPS account
#E8E841 (Capewell Components) to cover shipping charges or use another service at their expense.
Soft reserve ripcords bearing batch numbers other than M005128 and all metal handled ripcords are
NOT affected. Because Capewell Components makes assemblies for other container manufacturers,
all skydivers are recommended to check all hardware assemblies for unusual wear, cracking, scoring,
marking or bending. All skydivers are reminded to check all their equipment for problems frequently.
Authority:
Daniel Thompson, President, Mirage System
Jeff Johnston, QC Manager, Mirage Sysetms
Mark Magdalenski, QC Manager, Capewell Components
Distribution:
FAA, Mirage dealers and customers of record, Parachutist, Skydiving, Int’l periodicals.

Mirage PSB 280403.pdf

And why did it take so long to report/recall this??? I witnessed one of these pins break back in August (almost 9 months ago). It was one of our fulltime camera guys. How many pins have been affected??? If that pin would have busted while he was on the camera step, I shudder to think what would have happened to a full otter load of jumpers....>:(

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=205183#205183

Let me get this straight. You have a problem and you want the consumer to pay for the repair? Makes one really consider how much they might want to purchase a Mirage, that is what I call customer service. Eat the cost and fix your problem.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Let me get this straight. You have a problem and you want the consumer to pay for the repair?

That's the same customer that bought what is probably the MOST expensive rig on the market. That's just bad juju INNSHO.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Let me get this straight. You have a problem and you want the consumer to pay for the repair? Makes one really consider how much they might want to purchase a Mirage, that is what I call customer service. Eat the cost and fix your problem.

It's totally free if you are willing to wait while Capewell inspects the pin. They even give you an account number to cover the cost of shipping. If you want a replacement before they have a chance to inspect the component, then you have to buy a new handle. Even then you get a 60% discount to replace a part that is most likely not defective. It seems pretty fair to me.

I dont know how fair it is of Mirage to have known about this problem and sat on that information for at least 9 months. That is some pretty scary stuff. I wonder how many jumps have been done on those affected rigs since the problem became known. I am also wondering how long it will take to get a new reserve ripcord or how long it will take to get inspected. If you are a avid jumper or work in the industry, its going to be a major pain in the ass. I think that they should be bending over backwards to make this situation better for those whose pins are affected after not addressing the issue promptly in the first place.

Hmmmm....None of you even Jump mirages.

BTW.....Jimbo why do you still have that Raven, you know PA did the same thing with thier reserve recall, they kind of set the standard for recalls. Since before that Icarus ate the costs for thier recall.....Hmmm.....I'm betting all recalls from now on will have the customer eating the cost.
Fly it like you stole it!

Hmmmm....None of you even Jump mirages.

What I jump has no influence on this being wrong. If I had bought a Mirage, and it was affected by this and I was told I would have to cover the cost, it would be the last mirage I would buy. You mentioned Raven's, Do you think it is ok for a manufacturer to sell a faulty product, especially a life saving product, and then turn the cost to fix a problem over to the person who bought it?

Just to note,, this isnt a Mirage problem it is a Capewell problem, Im not blaming Mirage for a faulty product. But they sold the product so they should handle it, and then deal with their supplier themselves. The fact that this problem existed for so long without them telling anyone is another story. Any company that knowingly puts its customers at risk to save a buck is not a good company. Anyone that works for Mirage that would like to publicly debate this issue with me, I would invite them to state their case. Anyone that spends their money on something that is supposed to be a safe product deserves to know immediately, if there is a potential problem. One death from this is too many. This should have been handled immediately, the first time it was heard of, a notice should have been published. So any rigger out there could inspect the pin's, and possibly prevent a potential accident.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

You mentioned Raven's, Do you think it is ok for a manufacturer to sell a faulty product, especially a life saving product, and then turn the cost to fix a problem over to the person who bought it?

My feelings on the raven issues....lets just say we are about to find out how may jumps it takes to blow up a tootsie pop.

Oh and I totally agree that we as a consumer should be told as soon as there is a problem. I mean PA knew for years the webbing was sub-standard, Icarus know for a while people were having issues with the crossfire (not sure how long but I knew of one guy they made a new canopy for due to it in June of 2001), and now mirage it appears waited 9 months. On the other hand they claim they only had 2 reports of breaking pins, so I'll give them a little slack in thinking it was a single pin issues until the 2nd one popped up.

Of course on the other hand, they are making available a 0 cost to the customer option, and even if you want a new one right away, if you send your old one in it's $15 rather than full price.

You know I wonder how the recall of the RW-1-82 rings back in the 80s on vectors was handled.
Fly it like you stole it!

BTW.....Jimbo why do you still have that Raven, you know PA did the same thing with thier reserve recall, they kind of set the standard for recalls.

My Raven wasn't on the list.

Hmmm.....I'm betting all recalls from now on will have the customer eating the cost.

And that just sucks.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I actually do own a Mirage...its my secondary rig. It is a G3 and it doesnt have the problem pin. My primary rig is an odyssey. But regardless, many friends jump a mirage and it concerns me for them too. If Vector (which I do not own) had a similar problem, I would be pissed as well. Its all about safety for those of us around us. If someone jumps a rig that has a known problem by the manufacturer I am affected by it too...afterall, I very well may be on the plane while their reserve pin pops while they are in the door and that pin killed everyone else in the plane. Everyone is affected by this directly or indirectly.

"Caveat emptor"...let the buyer beware. As a consumer, when I'm in the market for my next rig I'm certainly going to remember this little tidbit that I may have to pay for my own recall parts with Mirage. Hopefully the other companies will look at the negative backlash and think twice before passing the cost onto the consumer.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Calm down people.

They do not want the consumer to pay. They are issuing a recall, and as with a recall, you product will be inspected, and if it doesnt meet the standard, they will replace the part at their cost.

If, however, you dont want to wait, then you can pay to get a new part even if yours may meet the standard.

What is wrong / or even poor service about that?
Remster

There are two problems. Mirage was very slow repsonding to this issue. Peoples lives are at stake and it took them 9 months to recall a soft reserve handle/pin! Secondly, they pass the cost onto the consumer. Not a good idea! Competition is tough these days and customer service is very important. You can have the safest rig in the world but if you can't have anything repaired what good is it. Mirage dropped the ball and hopefully it will only cost money and not lives.

If, however, you dont want to wait, then you can pay to get a new part even if yours may meet the standard.

It's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" issue. Sure, you don't have to pay anything while they inspect your handle, but you'll also be sitting it out on the ground now that the jumping season is in full swing again. Who wants to do that? You're either out some money, or you're out of jumping for who knows how long while it's tested. Either way you lose unless you have another rig.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Ok... If a single pin fails 9 months ago do you really expect the manufactor to recall all other pins with just a single issue? At the notice of a second failure Mirage started the ball rolling and got the cause investigated.

There are how many nickle plated main pins out there that were never recalled and they are way more of an issue then this is.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>Either way you lose unless you have another rig.

Blame Airtec for making you jump with out a Cypres while its off for maintence. Blame PD for grounding you while your canopy is getting relined.

Do you blame your car maker for keeping your car for a day or two while they do free warranty work on it?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ok... If a single pin fails 9 months ago do you really expect the manufactor to recall all other pins with just a single issue? At the notice of a second failure Mirage started the ball rolling and got the cause investigated.***

Thank you. I was just about to say this.

One of my rigs IS one that is affected, so I have a direct stake in this.

My only complaint is having to pay for a replacement if I dont want to wait. I'm not necessarily blaming Mirage for that, I'm just impatient, greedy, and dont like to part with my money.

Whatcha gonna do? Send it in and wait or pay and dont wait (and get your refund later).

JC

Its kinda a problem with mirage and kinda not. Its capewell's pins that are at fault, but mirage is selling them to the enduser. From what I have learned in Deland, there are 4,600 pins in a single batch. That is a lot of reserves that can potentially have bad pins. Mirage is not the only manufacturer that uses these pins. Other manufacturers make their own or have them tested on a 300 lb. pull test machine...which is not a cheap toy. Most manufacturers can not afford to own one so they send them out to get tested a RWS. Mirage, did not test their pins before putting them into production.

The PD & cypress analogy isnt legit. I buy canopies and cypres knowing full well that I am going to have some planned downtime. Having a reserve pin that is faulty is not planned downtime. If my cypres crapped out because of a known fault of the manufacturer, I would expect a new cypres at no charge. Look at L&B, phenominal customer service. PD will send you a demo canopy if you are planning to get yours relined...no downtime there. If you call Sunpath, they will send you a loaner while you are waiting for your rig. A buddy of mine got one sent out today from Sunpath for a couple of weeks while he is between rigs...at no cost, to boot. NOW THATS WHAT I CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE!