cpoxon

Baumgartner Channel Crossing

Was considering putting this in the Wingsuit forum but it's not really a wingsuit, but a rigid wing, and it is general skydiving news, much as I'm loathe to promoting Felix as he seems to do a good enough job of it himself.

From today's London Metro.

A URL is visible on the XC-K1 wing and it is
[url "http://www.502channelcrossing.com/"]www.502channelcrossing.com[url]

Metro20030506.jpg

Anyway this would be a cool stunt. And it wouldnt be the first one for Felix. I don´t understand why everyone is always dissing him.. propably just jelous.

I'll take a stab at this one:

People who don't understand why people don't like someone seem to always raise the "jealousy" issue, it seldom is jealousy; in the case of Mr. Baumgartner, even I can understand the animosity.

In his seemingly incessant need for publicity in a sport that shuns publicity, he has burned many a site and made it difficult for others to open objects anywhere near where he has trodden. He has done a good job of making a reputation for himself, only problem is that it has not always been a good one.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

There is an article on his attempt plans in the most recent issue of Smithsonian Air and Space. About 1/2 a page but a pic of him on top of a car he used for testing. If anybody has it, it is worth a look. Also a cool article on the Hughes racer, but that is a different topic.....

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

so what's his process of deploying his chute? I imagine there is a way to cutaway his wing, then clear and pull perhaps? Also, it looks in the picture like he has his hands on control levers for ailerons-very cool. Anyone know of a glide ratio for that wing?

-the artist formerly known as sinker

It'll be cool when he DOES it.

Until then, he might as well say he's flying to the Moon. It's like the guy that was claiming he was going to land the wingsuit on a ski slope -- talk to me after the fact and THEN I'll be impressed.

Gotta admire his marketing skills though.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

addendum.... i just watched the video on his base 502 website, and at the end he deployed while keeping the wing on. from the video, it looks like his container is UNDER the wing. anyone know how this works?

-the artist formerly known as sinker

>from the video, it looks like his container is UNDER the wing. anyone
>know how this works?

Even with a normal wingsuit, the canopy deploys mainly behind, not above, a jumper. With a higher glide ratio you'd have an even flatter deployment angle. By releasing the wing so it's a foot or so above your body you'd have some room to get your PC and bag out. Not the safest deployment of course but it should work.

so what's his process of deploying his chute? I imagine there is a way to cutaway his wing, then clear and pull perhaps? Also, it looks in the picture like he has his hands on control levers for ailerons-very cool. Anyone know of a glide ratio for that wing?

I dunno about the wing in the bottom left picture of the article, but the other wing (the SkyRay) is worn under the rig. There were a bunch of videos of it on skydivingmovies.com. The rig is basically attached to the wing. As for control, you can see in the videos that he holds on to handles on teh bottom of the wing allowing him to kind of swing it from side to side or up and down. I don't think it has any moving control surfaces or anything like that... though it's possible that's changed on a later version or something.

That thing is really cool. I hope I can get the videos back online soon.

Dave

Was considering putting this in the Wingsuit forum but it's not really a wingsuit, but a rigid wing, and it is general skydiving news, much as I'm loathe to promoting Felix as he seems to do a good enough job of it himself.

admittedly, a cool stunt.
As for Felix, what a self-aggrandizing homo.

here are some facts from Air & Space.....

The Icarus two project is $4.5million and 25 glide tests towards completion...

6' Delta wing from Carbon Fiber

www.felixbaumgartner.com

the new design has a glide ratio of 1 down to 6 forward.

Expects to exit at about 29,000 and to reach a max of 300mph before stabilizing to glide at 155mph completing the hop in 10 minutes and making the last of his descent with a parachute

Last November he strapped himself on the roof of his Porsche 911 and went down the Salzburg airport runway to test his helmet and o2 tank.

"Its like driving a Formula One car. the equipment is extremely sensitive and quite delicate, which means that any problem is a big one. Baumgartner said.

Hope that helps,
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

If you look at some of the pictures on the website, the rig sits in a little cutout of the wing, so it would deploy over the wing... dont know how he would throw a PC, so it might be a ripcord/springloaded PC.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

If you look at some of the pictures on the website, the rig sits in a little cutout of the wing, so it would deploy over the wing... dont know how he would throw a PC, so it might be a ripcord/springloaded PC.

He does use a ripcord. In the attached pic (a screenshot from a german TV program), you can see the ripcord on his right. I'm not sure what the second ripcord is on his belly. At first I assumed it was his reserve ripcord, but he seems to have a standard cutaway pillow and D ring reserve ripcord (not easily seen in that shot).

There are a few opening shots in the videos of him... damn that doesn't look comfortable!

It's also kind of funny... later in the video you can see that his jumpsuit has special holes in the chest so he can thread his chest strap under it... apparently as not to block the red bull logo.

Dave

felix.jpg