Rdutch

Trust your instinct's not your mind sometimes.

Yesterday morning, first load, Im filming a 10 way, deployment comes and wham, major line twist and its spinning the wrong way and getting worse, try to kick, but there is nothing going, so bye bye main. Then the most beautiful sight, my PD reserve is open and flying straight. Follow my main and freebag, the main land's in the wood's (blackberrybushland) and the freebag lands in the middle of a little league soccer match, where I land next to it, that was cool the kid's loved it, and everyone else. After an hour in the bush looking for my main I make it back to watch the second cutaway from the team I was filming. (To add no one from the team even notices my cutaway, they are paging me for the video while Im half a mile away, lucky Paxton was on it and followed me down) So now the team is 2 for 2.
On the way to altitude on jump #3 were joking around how they come in 3's and who is next, so good jump, break off, I dump and wham (I will post the video as soon as I can figure out how) the worst spinner I have ever seen, live or memorex, its just winding up and slinging me all over, what is in my mind? "No way Im cutting 2 in a row away" So Im kicking and slinging and kicking ect. I finally get it free way too low, with my dytter screaming at me and my heart beating. I land and I am royally pissed at myself, I cleared it way too low, small canopies, no matter how high you deploy (In my case 3500ft) give you no room to play around (from the video we counted 14 seconds I took to clear it, try and spin a stilletto 107 or any canopy from 3500ft foot 14 seconds, that is too long), I chopped the mild mal, and rode the nasty one down. I learned a good lesson, and I am mad as hell at myself. Trust your instinct's and dont listen to yourself (Ie: I dont want to cutaway 2 in a row). Most of all trust your reserve. Everyone that saw the vid of the second one, wondered why the hell I rode it out, and after I wondered the same. Hard lesson, but lesson learned.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Boy, I'm gonna have to get me one of those tiny canopies that are so sensitive to body position, weight distribution on opening. It now seems pretty boring to never have the fun of steering my canopy during opening to prevent line twists. This sport really has come a long way:P

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hard lesson, but lesson learned.

I'm just glad you learned the hard lesson in a relatively cheap manner. Like someone posted on another thread, I'd rather read your embarassed description than than wonder with the others "Why the hell didn't Ray cut away?".

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

speculation as to why someone didn't cut away

I know that I never wanted to cutaway and have to use my round reserve - especially in high winds, nasty obstacles, etc. I did cutaway and use it once, but had no choice under a high speed mal. but if faced with less severe mals, one is left wondering which will hurt more - a lousy thing to be debating at a critical time.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

It's so good to read this, i mean, im soooo sorry for you...but its so scary to hear people pushing limits for issues that revolve around money. People do stupid things, risking safety, for issues of convenience. Just because you are experienced, don't forget what your doing and that your life depends upon your decisions...
Glad you made a true lesson experience of a real crap day [:/]

Boy, I'm gonna have to get me one of those tiny canopies that are so sensitive to body position, weight distribution on opening. It now seems pretty boring to never have the fun of steering my canopy during opening to prevent line twists.

No need. Just go airlocked. I fly more in the first 15 seconds after I toss than the rest of the jump total...but I still love my Vengeance.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Always enjoy reading your posts and thank you for sharing with us. I am glad that you are still with us. did you figure out what caused them?

The first one I packed myself, and I don't know exactly why, but it came out of the container and spun up before it hit line stretch, I dont stow my lines too short on the bag and I take a long time closing my container to make sure everything is clean. I guess its just one of those things that happen, Also I felt a burble from one of the 10 way I was filmeing as they tracked under me. The second one was done by someone else, and I have no clue what caused it, I will put the video up. I have it on Email, so I just have to send it to someone to put up for me. But the second one was just flat out nasty, it looked like the lower skin inflated and then the whole thing just spun up fast as hell, spinning me all over the place, That is one reason why I like shooting Video, the extra altitude!

Ray

Funny, I was right there with ya Saturday morning. First load of the day – my first cutaway. Had about 2 feet of line twists which, try as I may, I could not get out of. I tried until 1800 feet and then cutaway. Lost both my handles though but should have some in by this weekend. I always thought I’d have the presence of mind to hold on to them but when it happened, I didn’t think about it for a second.

Another case.......It was friday the 13th last year...couple of us go up on a cessna and im in the plane sayin that maybe we shouldnt jump being friday the 13th and all. My gut said no but my mind said i wanted to jump so i did and had a reserve ride. trust your gut!
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

I'm glad you survived. I'm reading a book now that is based on the premise of trusting your instincts first in life. This also applies to a survival scenario. It's all too easy to listen to one's own rational thoughts and not listen to your own gut felt feelings. Often times we talk ourselves into doing something that should be safe all the while our instincts tell us something is wrong here. It often applies to trusting other people but might also apply to doing something that outwardly appears safe enough. Many people have met the grim reaper or been hurt badly by ignoring their instincts. Just some food for thought......Steve1

that burble will spin up a canopy fast! I've seen it happen a few times.

Funny I remember watching one of yours from on top of the burble. LOL But true that could cause it.

Ray