CrazyDave

Getting into the sport

Simple choices:

1) You think that skydiving looks amazing and you would like to be a skydiver - try a tandem first

2) You know you want to be a skydiver - save your tandem money for your training

This is my opinion:

1- A tandem jump is 'expensive'
2- Level 1 AFF is 'more' expensive than a tandem and you WILL screw up, so, no fun.

Therefore: Do a tandem first.

yeah, the first AFF is never a perfect jump, but I see very few people doing a tandem before starting AFF (or should I say doing AFF after a tandem).
Anyway, those who start aff from zero are usualy cleared for solo after at jump #6 or #7 so what the hell if your first aff is not great ? You will still learn way more than with a tandem, that's what I meant with wasting money at it...
(just my 0.02 euro)

do you US folks consider tandem as a pre-aff jump, with an extensive briefing on body position, altitude awareness and so on ?

alain

Here's my inexperienced 2 cents:

Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I say if money is a major issue for you, do static line. Personally, I think if you can do 2 (or 3, depending on the price) static line jumps for the cost of one tandem it'll be worth it. You'll get 2 landings instead of one. (Good for your training...)

Tandems are good in a perfect world, it's just that this one rarely is.

I do think tandems are the ONLY way to go if you are only going to do one jump. If you know you want to continue, the cheaper option can be just as good.

IMHO

Gale
I'm drowning...so come inside
Welcome to my...dirty mind

I started with static line and have never made a tandem or AFF type jump. I don't see any problems with learning to jump this way. When (and if) my daughters decide to train, I'd like them to do a tandem first and then start static line. I think it would throw less at you at once, rather than going up and doing a 60 second free fall for a first jump. Just my opinion, but if you only have the cash to start with static line, I'd say go for it......Steve1

WHOOT! I too started with just a plain dope-rope jump. I never expected to do more than one though! As soon as I got to the ground, I was like...I can't wait to jump again! Then I saw the video from my mom's tandem jump the same day and that only fueled the fire. I was determined to progress to freefall. I think I was a better canopy pilot by the time I was done with my S/L training too, since I had more jumps than the average AFF student. I did static-line for 2 reasons. I wanted to be "in control" and I didn't have the extra $45 to do a tandem...oh and I wasn't 18. At my DZ, I guess you have to be 18 to make a tandem jump

There are 3 turbine DZs within 1.5 hrs of here. Not only would I go for AFF/AFP for getting the freefall skills (if you can do the money issue), but also each of these DZs stopped offering S/L a few years ago (if in fact they did). Generally it's at least one tandem, and then off into the WBY (Wild Blue Yonder) for free-fall.:D
|

I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

2- Level 1 AFF is 'more' expensive than a tandem and you WILL screw up, so, no fun.

Why are so convinced that he will screw up?

Level 1 AFF (not counting ground school - which you don't need to pay for more than once anyway) is not necessarily more expensive than a tandem, and even if it is, you can count that jump toward your A license progression anyway, which you couldn't with a tandem.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

i recommend doing a tandem first. i had total sensory overload on my first and it is very comforting knowing that u have an experienced jumper behind u with several hundred or thousands' of jumps to know what to do if something goes wrong. i have just recently finished my fourth tandem and was able to keep my altimeter awareness and was able to deploy the chute at the proper altitude. so, i recommend doing a tandem for those reasons. it may not even take four for u to realize it. it may happen right after the first. i also recommend doing a great deal of research on this website much likei hve in preperation for my first aff jump!:)

It is better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!

i recommend doing a tandem first. i had total sensory overload on my first

Yeah. My girlfriend did AFF 1 straight away, since she wanted to get licensed and thought tandem would just be a delay (and funds are an issue), but says she really doesn't remember much about it.

I had one tandem jump before I started AFF, and the stage 1 jump was really good fun (though still a bit overloady). And for the first half-dozen stages, I kept thinking I wanted to do another tandem just so I could enjoy it without concentrating so hard on what I had to learn this dive.

My last stage (7) was OK though... I felt very comfortable and more like I was just up there for fun, though I had to jump through a couple of hoops still. I don't have the urge to do another tandem any more, but I'd definitely recommend it for anyone's first time. It's a *lot* more fun than AFF 1.

Can't comment on S/L, since they don't offer it at my DZ.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Check the "Dropzones" link at the top of this page. Quite a few states have more than 3 DZs. We have 4 within driving distance of Chicago, Illinois, USA (about 1.5 hours), if you count Kankakee, which is down south.

I myself jumped 3 of them last weekend, just for a change.B|
|

I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

We'd need a static line person to answer that. If you can manage it, freefall is where it's at. We don't have S/L around here.
|

Harry, FB #4143

In average I'd guess between 5 and 10, maybe 15.
With our s/l progression, you have to demonstrate you can arch well and do stable exits as well as find the dummy ripcord before you do your first freefall-which lasts about 2 seconds, since it's just exit and pull.

From there, you gradually progress- 5, 7, 10, 15, 20.... seconds learning basic freefall maneuvers. When you prove you've mastered them all, you're allowed to go all the way up...and learn some more.:)

in the perfect situation a s/l jumper can reach "freefall" on his 6th jump. at our dz you start off with 2 regular s/l's and then to prcp/drcp's (practice/dummy rip cord pulls) where you have a ripcord that is not used to activate anything other than get the muscle memory and body position to correctly pull.. you have to do at least 3 satisfactory prcps in a row to go on to a clear and pull (usually 3500-4000 feet where you actually pull your own ripcord or throw out. that is the first "free fall" on jump 6. I did the s/l progression and it took me 7 jumps until I did the clear and pull. then you go to 5 sec delays then to 10 second delays and up and up.
-yoshi