sunnydee123

How to travel with rig...

Looking for some help....I'll be doing traveling this summer and since I am a new diver - what is the best means of traveling with my rig? ...pack it in a suitcase and check it (and pray they don't xray it and decide to take it apart) or carry it on. Just don't want to get to the airport and worry about my rig not making it to my final destination safely.

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

You can either carry it on or check it. Both have worked for me. Checking it is a bit more risky. You are a little more likely to be hassled if you carry it on. Someone here checked theirs and got additional insurance on it ($5000) even if it got wet. It got wet, he made $5000.

Does the airline ask you if you want insurance? And if so, won't they be suspicious as to why you'd want $5,000 for a little old suitcase? I'm so confused which way to go. Sure don't want anyone opening my suitacase when I am not around and screwing with my rig, ya know?

I have always carried mine on in a back pack. take your cypress card to show them what it will look like thru the x-ray... explaine your a fun jumper and I havent had a problem yet. I have also called several times to the airline speaking with various different people to make sure the policy has nothing against parachutes... just call the airline and explain your dilema and get peoples names and direct numbers for refference
-yoshi

Sure don't want anyone opening my suitacase when I am not around and screwing with my rig, ya know?

The TSA says to leave it unlocked or they may cut/brake the lock off. http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=87&content=498

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

OK, I just traveled from VA to Perris and then from Eloy back to VA on Amer West and Amer Trans Air with no problems. I carried on rig in a carry on bag with my open face camera helmet. I have found that placing the bag on it's side draws less attention than when it is laid flat and placed thru the X-ray machine. Either way, it has never become an issue and thats with asking them to conduct a hand search on my film/DV tapes. My other rig was in a hardside suitcase with my sidewinder camera helmet and a few other skydiving related items. Once again, no problems. I did however take the precaution of putting one of the nylon suitcase straps around the suitcase to ensure it didn't open on accident when being handled and to insure that it stayed closed short of an ape jumping on it;)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Good info - think for my own peace of mind I might carry it on, as long as they don't make me cram my duffle in one of those little boxes to make sure it isn't bigger than allowed. Seems silly to worry so much but I've never traveled with something that is so key to why I am traveling....ya know. I don't like drama - don't want any at the gate either.

Another good tip is to use E-tickets if you can and use the kiosk to check in...a lot faster plus you can change your seat yourself. It's best to try and get a seat towards the back of the aircraft as they always load first(after 1st class and infants) and this allows you to get in and get your backpack/carry on in an over head bin before they fill up and you can ensure your gear is above/near you and packed in an acceptable way. I also like to get an isle seat as this allows me to get up grab my gear and elbow the elderly women, handicapped, and small children out of the way before the door even opens.;):D I still can't figure out why people try to get out before the door is even open. You just sat for 2-3 hours in the plane, is 5 more mins gonna kill you?:D

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

AAAHHHH....good idea. I just booked my flight from Cross Keys and got the closest seat to the front so I could get off quick but your logic makes good sense. Something to think about. Planning to book my Richmond trip soon and maybe even a visit out to Skydive Chicago for Summerfest. So many plans - so little cash....

myself and another jumper just went from Newark to San Juan on Continental, no problems what so ever at either ariport with the rigs as carry on. Mine was in a gear bag, and the other was out in the open. both have cypress's in them and we didn't even get a funny look;)

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

Think Robin PM'd me with this info. Good to know. US Air has no policy on parachutes but I printed everything on carryone and stuff. I'll get there plenty early and hope for the best. I'm kinda little, don't think they will be afraid of me with a parachute - I can barely see over the seat let alone cause trouble.:)

------------
US Air has no policy on parachutes
------------

Actually, they do. I'm flying US Air in August. One of their pilots jumps at our dropzone. According to him, rigs are allowed as carryons so long as they meet size and weight requirements. I was also able to get a (quite dated) letter from USPA stating rigs are allowed by US Air. They have letters on file from most carriers. You might try that.

Dave

I recently went to Zhills from San Diego (as you know) and I carried my rig on both ways. I just had it in a black duffle bag. I was never even asked to open the bag, no questions. Although one security screener did look a bit confused when it went through the x-ray machine... but maybe he always looks like that. :)

-Kenny

Think I am carrying it on and think I might change my seat and head for the back of the plane...I just like getting off the damn thing - kind of like I do normally. Can't wait to get to the door - 'specially if someone is waiting for me. ;)