cptfunky

diving with music?

My MP3-player is a Zen Nomad Jukebox with 20GB HD, and i've copied nearly my whole music collection on it. Have also made some own techno/trance tracks that are very fast in the first 50 sec. and very relaxing in the next 5 minutes. :)

Hm, the fast part of 'One' from Metallica would be very cool.

it may keep me from hearing the very important beep beep beep that means "hey dumbass, you forgot to pull"

O

but when these beeps tell you "hey dumbass, you forgot to pull", isn't it too late anyway? ;)

i have no audible altimeter, but i'm sure you can send these signal beeps from the altimeter also directly to your headphone.

but when these beeps tell you "hey dumbass, you forgot to pull", isn't it too late anyway?

no, that the smack that comes a few seconds after the beeps...

i have no audible altimeter, but i'm sure you can send these signal beeps from the altimeter also directly to your headphone.

not in any i've seen, and with trance music, its mostly beeps anyway...

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Hey, why don't you have the music stop when you get to 40 sec. or so That is when you need to be paying attention any way. You can make a custom track for each altitude that you jump from. This would shut the music off for deployment, then you can adjust the volume so that when it comes back on (20-30 seconds later) and you are under canopy, it doesn't blow out your ears. If only they had MP3 players that responded to altitude!
...FUN FOR ALL!

Might I suggest that you jump without music, wear an audible and get video of the jump. Then afterwards you can make movies adding your music to the video and show your whuffo friends what a neat sport we do. At least that is what many of us freefliers do. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I was thinking High Speed Dirt from Megadeth wuold be a good song to listen to, since it's about skydiving.. problem is, it's not a good song...

So, I'm writing my own.... ;)

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

A simple interface that took the signal produced by the audible to initiate the beep would pause the mp3 player with a delay switch that unpauses the music after a certain amount of time. It could be an in line piece of electronics like the remote control on the headphone wire. Simple...how large is the market?
...FUN FOR ALL!

I had a similiar question that I thought I would throw out in here.

My buddy and I were wondering about voice activated two way radios so we could communicate with eachother while under canopy. Our method now is SHOUTING back and forth, which can probably be heard all aroudn the DZ... I'm sure something like this exsists... Anyone know?

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

I have an MP3 player with a couple of songs that I really like. It has an arm band that makes it easy to wear.(Under the suit)I take it to listen to on the long ride up while I visualise my dive. It seems to relax me even more and I end up with a better dive. The only time I listen to it after the door is open is when i am doing a H&P and no one else is going to be any where near me under canopy. I just don't think it is safe to not be able to hear someone behind you or above you while flying your wing.

I can't say that I havn't worn it...I just don't anymore. I did find, though, the Protrack Beep is still loud enough to hear, even at full volume.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I called my mom under canopy using a hands free cellular kit. She loved it!

Have also listened to music but found it wasn't worth the effort. It was fun to do once though. Too bad that new Neptune audible isn't also an MP3 player.

How about voice activated radios to use during freefall? Just have to have a very quiet helmet. There are tons of available radios that would work under canopy, still, it IS a distraction.

Blue Skies

The cell phone thing is cool
side note...What alt. did you get signal?
Radio = distraction = collision = Pain
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

IMHO, I don't think it is wise to have a distraction in your head during a skydive...

Have to go with ifly on this one..distraction bad!!!!

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

I called my mom under canopy using a hands free cellular kit. She loved it!

Blue Skies

Hey there,

I reckon I’ve got the best “how to use a cell phone in the sport” story – so the challenge is out … someone will come up with a "I've done better" story, let's hear it!

10 years ago (remember those days – school kids didn’t own cell phones back then) I was doing my annual display jump into the Australia Day celebrations in Commonwealth Park in Canberra (that’s the country’s capital city).

That year we wanted to provide something “extra”. So between myself and a telecom technician friend we:

1. Developed a throat mike that was strapped onto my throat directly above my voice box. The mike had webbing above it too, so that wind noise was minimised.
2. Wired another cell phone into the TV / Radio station gear as well as the PA system in the Park..

On jump run I phoned the ground phone and basically made small talk about the scenery, what we were about to do, etc. Then on exit and in freefall I continued to chat – continuing on under canopy. We were a 4 way team (although this display was individual exits due low cloud). The plan always had me landing first, as I did on this jump. After landing I continued to give commentary on the last 3 jumpers as they landed.

All the time the radio and TV crews had my live commentary as a part of their shows. Plus it had been broadcast at the same time over the PA system. Even the talking while in freefall was quite audible.

Sure was a novel way of having live commentary for a display jump.

So let’s hear from others as to their use of a cell phone while skydiving.

Blue Skies,

fergbirdB|

Might I suggest that you jump without music, wear an audible and get video of the jump. Then afterwards you can make movies adding your music to the video and show your whuffo friends what a neat sport we do. At least that is what many of us freefliers do. :P

I'm doing this for ME, not for other people. My friends can't understand anyway why people skydive, they think i have suicidal tendencies. Hope i can convince them to try a Tandem.

have a good time,
m