dropdeded

Terminal Velocity, Fastest ?

Was having a discussion with my writing instructor about terminal velocity. I was under the impression that in order to reach the fastest possible terminal velocity you would have to be head down. He drew a guy in the belly down position, elbows and arms sharply bent and says it creates an airfoil effect and is much faster than head down. I thought that would still have much more wind resistance than head down?
Is this accurate? What is the fastest terminal velocity a human can reach and in what position must you be in?

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

You can go faster with less surface area to the relative wind, a slipperier surface or being heavier. An airfoil creates lift, not speed.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I think he is smoking crack. The least profile to the wind, the less resistance. So if all other things are equal, HD is faster than belly.
You could add weight and change the material of the jumpsuit to increase the fall rate of the belly flier. However if the same measures were taken by the HD person, he/she would still be faster.
I'm sure Bill Von could explain it far better than I can and even use the correct terms. But I think I'm on the right vein here.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

does your instructor jump? I bet not.

Nope, says he did one in like the 70s, and he was explaining to me what was explained and diagramed to him, in, like, the 70s;)

dropdeded
The Dude Abides.
-

I think he is smoking crack.

LOL!!

Its just common sense that a smaller surface area presents less resistence and will therefore travel faster

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

Please note that all speeds listed are METRIC True Airspeeds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also they are avergaed over 1km (I think its the distance) as I recall....
Remster

Was having a discussion with my writing instructor about terminal velocity. I was under the impression that in order to reach the fastest possible terminal velocity you would have to be head down. He drew a guy in the belly down position, elbows and arms sharply bent and says it creates an airfoil effect and is much faster than head down. I thought that would still have much more wind resistance than head down?
Is this accurate? What is the fastest terminal velocity a human can reach and in what position must you be in?

dropdeded

Both actual experience in speed skydiving (Craig Poxon has a nice site) and wind tunnel measurements of drag coefficients (see Hoerner's book on "Fluid Dynamic Drag") show that your instructor is mistaken.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In all fairness, this wuffo probably got confused with tracking…. When at the movies, you see the fastest speed when the jumpers adopt a track position… he probably mistook the faster H speed for faster terminal V.
Remster

Drag/friction is directly proportional to surface area ans slickness of the material.

Given the same materials HD will always be faster. Unless this person has a HUGE ass and stomach which would give more surface on HD~

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

he probably mistook the faster H speed for faster terminal V.

Or, as JJohnson said, he may be smoking crack!

"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"

At break I went to the LRC and read these replies then went back to class. I was gonna try to explain why he was wrong but thinking about his pompous ass, know it all attitude yesterday, I changed my mind. Fuck it, let him know what he thinks he knows.

As long as I learn something here, I mean, its all about me anywaysB|

dropdeded
The Dude Abides.
-

After you no longer have to deal with him or get a grade maybe take in video like Good Stuff or Crosswind......He will get the point...maybe he will come make another jump.

Like Dave Said... Belly is slower than head down
Me belly with arms close in feet on butt and slick jumpsuit 150.. head down dive looking at the ground 225 TAS. Get a protrack and see how fast you can go...

Amazon

i actually think the sound barrier has been broken. I dont know for sure, but i thought it was something like in the Guiness book of records? i may be wrong though.
Brian McCarthy

EDIT:
10. Joe Kittinger made the highest intentional skydive in history when in 1960 he jumped out of a balloon at 103,000 ft., and is the only person to have broken the sound barrier with his body alone.

http://www.geocities.com/snowyssillyfacts/worldrec1.html

i actually think the sound barrier has been broken. I dont know for sure, but i thought it was something like in the Guiness book of records? i may be wrong though.
Brian McCarthy

EDIT:
10. Joe Kittinger made the highest intentional skydive in history when in 1960 he jumped out of a balloon at 103,000 ft., and is the only person to have broken the sound barrier with his body alone.

http://www.geocities.com/snowyssillyfacts/worldrec1.html

103,000 ft?! I thought that wasn't possible because without a pressurized suit and oxygen supplement, you could certainly die up there. I could be wrong but is this really true?

I could be wrong but is this really true?

Of course its true... do a search on his name and you shoul dbe able to find a lot of info on the jump. You do need a presurized suit. And a lot of money.

Also, there are 2 or 3 teams around the word right now trying to beat this record.
Remster