jumper03

Contacts vs Glasses?

Hi all,
Question for the blind among us -
I'm going to finally bite the bullet and get contacts after a lifetime of groping for glasses. I jump an open face helmet with goggles over the glasses now. Can you jump contacts with the full face helments? What about the newer goggles for the open face helmets? Anyone got any experience with this? I need to know if I'll have to budget in a new helmet with the contacts! :)
Any help/advice appreciated.
Scars remind us that the past is real

I've had contacts since seventh grade...

1. I would get used to the contacts completely before you try to jump with them. It may take you a week or two to fuly adjust to them, but after that you won't even be able to tell you have them in.

2. I've never had a problem with my contacts while jumping. I've worn both goggles and a full face, and while I prefer a full face, goggles work, too.

3. Some people are more sensitive to the wind in their eyes than others. I am one of those people, so for me to say it hasn't bothered me is pretty good.

4. I have jumped with my glasses, but I've found that my glasses give me slightly different depth perception than my contacts do, so landing with my glasses was...humorous, to say the least! :D

Good luck!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

After 520 jumps without correction (I wore glasses, and hated the way over-the-glasses goggles fit), I just got contacts. What a HUGE difference!

Goggles were fine over them -- I didn't feel any wind in my eyes at all. I wear plastic goggles with foam around each eye, and have been told they are the best for contacts (although I'm sure most goggles would be fine as long as the vents are pretty small). Full face helmets work too, from what I hear. I've never jumped one, but i work in a gear store, so i tend to hear what people like and don't like about equipment.

SO I don't think you'll need a new helmet with your contacts. Enjoy the great, in-focus view!

The only problem I've had switching from glasses to contacts is that my first pair of goggles were really cheap and leaked air in freefall. This dried my contacts and sometimes I would blink under canopy and they would move or fall out. I since bought better goggles that fit right and haven't had a problem since.

I've been wearing contacts for about 15 or so years, and jumping with them has been no problem - Wear a decent pair of goggles, and you're fine. Full face helmets present no problem. I open mine (Z-1) under canopy all the time with no ill effects. Might want to bring a bottle of rewetting drops, though. I ususally keep a bottle in my gear bag. You'll love it.

Easy Does It

I have been jumping with contacts for four years. I jump with a full face right now with zero problems. When I was jumping with goggles I would have my goggles lift on my face during tracking. When the goggles lifted, usualy on one side, my contact would blow off my eye. Sometimes it didn't matter how tight I had the goggles adjusted.
---------------------------------------------

Randy

I wear both contacts and glasses to jump with my full face, and contacts with goggles.

I have had no problems either way....in fact I recently had my full face blow off at 9k :S (user error)...and squinted my eyes just enough that my contacts stayed put!!!! :o

I prefer jumping with my contacts.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Ive had contact for ages and no problems jumpign with them. Ive even had my google come off in freefall a couple of times and luckily didnt loose my contacts (having to tractr and dump with my eyes almost fully closed is bloody scary though :)

I were glasees for 95% of my life owever I recently taken to wearing contact lenses in FreeFall. And I've no problems.

I've only ever once lost a contact in FreeFall, and that was during my Backloops in RAPS.

First time I did a jump from te top with glasses I didn't put my over-glasses/googles on properly and they spent the entire dive floating around in front of me. Although sionce then I've had no problems.
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

4. I have jumped with my glasses, but I've found that my glasses give me slightly different depth perception than my contacts do, so landing with my glasses was...humorous, to say the least! :D

Good luck!

Hmm... This would explain the several large grass stains on the back side of my jump suit!!

Thanks for all the feedback gang. After having these huge over the glasses goggles all up on my forehead this weekend, I'm going to go the contacts/new goggle route, I can't wait! Now I can look cool with shaded goggles too! B| Maybe I'll ask santa to send me a full face helmet in the future.

Blue Skies!
Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

well actually, I just jumped with my contacts for the (sigh) FIRST time. I was wearing a nice set of goggles, but no helmet. I lost my right contact during a sitfly, and lost my left contact during a tracking jump. Luckily, one of my contacts stuck to the inside of my goggles, so I only ended up losing one contact.
Anyways, I think the bottom line is: if you are jumping with contacts, you need to wear a helmet... because even the open faced helmets help your goggles stay on better. Also, if your vision is pretty bad (i.e. you can't land safely without glasses or contacts), maybe tuck your glasses inside your jumpsuit for your first few jumps with contacts... just in case the contacts pop out.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I am also jumping with contacts. It also happened on sitfly to lose one contact, so I suggest you to buy the daily contacts which are cheaper and you will not care so much (and you will always have a spare with you). Its Ok to fly with goggles and full face.