JustRelax

Under canopy strategy

I posted this on here before, picked up on the tips and ran it past my JM (Deno). So here is my refined "under canopy strategy" for anyone's interest.

This is a suggestion for someone just finishing their AFF or equivalent training:
Under canopy strategy
1. Count on open 1,000, 2,000, 3,000, 4,000 (swing looking left), 5,000 (swing looking right). The swinging is to clear the air in case the pilot chute is on my back.
2. Is it there? Is it square? Is it flying straight? Are lines twisted? Is the slider down? Ok it’s open and looks okay. Fix any line twists. If I can’t land it go to emergency procedures by 2,500.
3. Think peripheral vision, as always – looking out for other parachutes so as to avoid.
4. Do my canopy check: Left turn, right turn, flare x2.
5. Turn to find DZ.
6. Turn into wind.
7. Unzip a bit and put pull cord into suit and zip up.
8. Look for funnel (This is funnel shape sloped from windward side - big opening on top going down to DZ. If I’m in funnel I can land, if not I cant get to DZ)
9. Fly into funnel.
10. Could take a moment to play a few turns.
11. Good to look out for anyone else (know as I do more jumps I will be doing that all the time, but still gasping the basics at this stage).
12. Look at DZ and figure out landing pattern (realise already thought it out before got in plane, but different from up top).
13. Do landing pattern, with some looking at ground when wind behind to feel speed. Also feeling crabbing on side angle to wind and feeling into wind state.
14. Go into funnel again if outside. About 2k now so starting to position for the real landing.
15. At 1k start down wind leg. I will have asked advice on ground as to where the 1k starting point might be.
16. Make note when I reach a "DO NOT CUT-A-WAY" altitude. In my case that's 1,000 feet.
17. When half way down down wind leg assess if feels too high or too low.
18. If too high turn a bit later. If too low turn earlier than expected checkpoint two.
19. After last turn into wind, can do some S movements to loose height.
20. NO HARD TURNS
21 Prepare for 12 foot height Keeping peripheral vision.
22. Flare steady.
23. Toggles up to half if don’t quite reach ground.
24. Land with little bend in knees to cushion and trot (unless stuffed it - in which case prepare PLF.
25. When land pull on one toggle to collapse parachute.
26. Trot around it if windy.
27. Look for other people landing.
28. Look for plane landing.
29. Unbuckle leg straps and rebuckle.
30. Sachet lines (closing with slider).
31. Hold at top of sachet and pick up where bag attaches to chute. Gather pilot chute and pilot chute line and put all over shoulder.
32. Take to packing shed.
33. Lay down rig ready for packer, leaving pull handle with rig.
34. Take helmet off
35. JUMP OVER

16. Make note when I reach a "DO NOT CUT-A-WAY" altitude. In my case that's 1,000 feet.

surely this is not your "Hard-Deck" if it is, think it over. if your not where you want to be at 2500-2000 with your canopy, given your low jump numbers, go to plan "B" i've seen one jumper cut-away at 1000 AGL, the only thing that saved him that day was an RSL. he rode line twists all the way down to 1000 AGL. bad move. realize it can be rather easy to lose altitude awareness and canopy traffic during any type of mal, especially on a heavily loaded elipitical. audibles are especially helpful here, along with a time out. about your protocol you have for each jump, while most of it is certainly textbook, lighten up, be safe and enjoy yourself.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

surely this is not your "Hard-Deck" if it is, think it over.

I don't think it's his hard deck, Richard. I think that's the point at which he's going to go straight for the reserve if anything happens (collision, self imposed line twists, etc...) Make sense?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

>surely this is not your "Hard-Deck"

The language that he used above is almost exactly what I teach my students. Their decision altitude is 2500 feet; they must never cut away below 1000 feet. In other words, decide if the canopy you have is good to land by 2500 feet. If you decide to cut away there, and you can't (hard cutaway or whatever) stop trying at 1000 feet; at that point you're better off trying to get your reserve out even it it's going to foul with your main. If you're going to land under a ball of shit it should be the biggest ball of shit possible. (TM) In another scenario, if they collide with someone under canopy and destroy their main, they can cut away if they so choose - but not under 1000 feet.

In another scenario, if they collide with someone under canopy and destroy their main, they can cut away if they so choose - but not under 1000 feet.

I bet ya that jumper that got his main torn in half by another jumper at 850 ft was glad he cutaway!!!

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

No I didnt mean 1,000 fett is my hard deck, that is 2,500.

The 1,000 feet check is a reminder that if something stupid happens like a collision that I dont stupidly cut away but do my best to have as much canopy up to get to the ground.

19. After last turn into wind, can do some S movements to loose height.

At our DZ, S movements on final is frowned upon - you could easily get in someone's way also making a pattern or those swoopers who are cutting inside your pattern (appropriately).

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

Our DZ isn't busy so guess that's why it's okay to loose hight in the into wind leg. I'm trying to increase my periferal lookout for other skydivers and parachutes the whole time so as to be a defensive driver if need be.

Take your point that if I was at another drop zone I shouldn't presume I have flexibility on my landing pattern.

33. Lay down rig ready for packer, leaving pull handle with rig.

I would replace that by:
34. Pack my canopy so i gain experience in packing gear that i'll be jumping.

There's no difference in starting to learn to pack beginning at jump 1 or jump 100.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...