Gaza

How to Relax?

I’m an AFF student, and have now done 16 jumps. :) It took an age to get through level 5 and now I’ve got problems with level 6. My problem is I’m just not relaxed enough to maintain a good free fall position. Often I go into involuntary spins because I’ve dropped a leg. Even though I know I’m doing this, I struggle to sort myself out. How do you relax? I love skydiving, but I’m almost at the point of giving up. Any advice on chilling out during the skydive would be much appreciated.

just DON'T give up... breathe, think about what you have to do, go through your jump, maybe ask more advice from your instructor, to get legs symmetrical, tap your feet together...
go back and enjoy...
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Practice your body position in the water. IMO it's impossible to practice a good body position on land... it puts so much stress in your muscles trying to hold your feet and hands above your body while lying on your belly that it gets you thinking you can't relax in that position. Get in a swimming pool, exhale so you can sink, and just pop a good arch and try to focus on all your hangs/legs/feet/arms until you're able to keep them all in good position and stay relaxed. If there's a wind tunnel near you, it may be worth your $.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

2nd that, don't give up.

Are you getting your jumps on video? Makes a big difference to see what is happening rather than just thinking you know what is happening.

If its any consolation I was scared $hitl@$$ for about my first 20 jumps. There was no one more critical than myself. I'd come down from an AFF kicking myself because of all the stuff I'd screwed up. My AFFI would be whooping and cheering and focussed on all the good stuff.

Even now when I'm team training I have bad jumps where I get wound up and tensed up, its like what I'm doing is right up close in my face and everything gets frantic.

I've done some training with Dr John - skydivings #1 sport psychologist. A lot of it is to do with arousal levels. 0 is asleep, 10 is heart busting frantic. Everyone is different and you need to find the level of arousal which works best for you.

It sounds like yours is too high, you end up tense and rigid and out of control. Try figuring out ways to slow everything down and to calm down - calm=relaxed.

On the ascent before you climb in the door, spend a few moments with your eyes closed. Start at the top of your head and "feel" each part of your body with your minds eye. As you focus on each part, "will" it to relax. With loose wrists and hands, shake the stress out of your finger tips. Work on it all the way down to your toes and "see" the stress flow out of your toes, say it to yourself as you work your way down. Don't forget to feel your breathing, in hold and out, slow it down.

This works for me, if it works for you great, if not try someother techniques to change your level.

Note, that when I'm in competition I end my relaxation routine by doing completely the opposite. As the previous team are in the door about to jump and mine is waiting to climb out, I send my arousal level rocketing. I close my eyes just for 3-5 seconds and imagine myself in a street fight, kicking ass, drawing blood, being bloodied. Mr Angry makes an appearance, my heart rate rockets and I find the strength of my exit is massively improved.

Don't forget these are arousal techniques, and for optimal performance you need to find the right level for you.

If your issues are specific body flight issues then you really need to debrief on video with your AFFI. And don't forget muscle memory. Freefall is expensive, practice on the ground. Get that arch down pat. practice, practice, practice and if you can get to a wind tunnel then do it.

But whatever, don't give up. We were all low timers once, none of us were born to fly. We all got stuck somewhere along the road. If you see people who can fly well, its not luck, its usually the product of damned hard work.

You could ask your instructor to wear a Protec and pull wierd faces at you :P when he sees you locking out, anything to make you laugh, relax and enjoy yourself.

I too found relaxing in free fall during AFF a very hard thing to do.

Apprently a problam is that unlike all the other signals (arch, legs, arms etc.) the required response is mental rather than physical. I have heard that if you make this a physical response by taking a deep breath it can help.

The other thing is to take your time and don't get paniced by anything. Also if you havn't already, talk to your instructors they will have seen this hundreds if not thousands of times before, I'm also sure that if they were honest they were exactly the same during their training and will do anything to help you.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

That's a tough one. I had similar problems on my first release dive. Somehow, on the next one, I just told myself to relax, and I felt rock solid and steady. It was amazing how "easy" it felt then.

Maybe you should make relaxing the priority on your jump, not necessarily finishing the TLO's. Don't feel like you have to rush to complete all of your maneuvers. If you don't finish them, but you learned to relax, you've still made great progress. Good luck.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Take it easy for a few jumps and forget about passing a level. Just go out, get stable, do some turns, whatever you feel like doing (with permission from your instructor ahead of time of course). But just don't worry about perfection and passing or failing.

Also, if your legs are getting uneven, toe taps can help you find them. Don't give up jumping, but talk to your instructors and figure out what you can change other than trying to force yourself to relax in a stressful situation.

Dave

I think that the others are right about trying to make a simple dive. I sure got nervous around level 6, so many things to get into one dive, loops, 360s, etc. I did pretty well on my other dives and still was nervous about these ones and barely got the maneuvers done in time. I think that slowing the pace a bit might be the thing for you. Get a controlled freefall going, maybe just focus on getting the 360s in, not the loops. Tunnel time would probly be beneficial. What have your instructors said?

Best of luck to ya! Don't worry about it. Just go out there and have fun, and the rest will fall into place.:)
Angela.

Hehe... Most folks "assume" its some sort of peter meter reference. I am sorry I won't get to see you this weekend, Bro. I was looking forward. And, if I remember right, the King Air isn't at your place on the first weekend, is it? So I probably won't get to hook up with you until the second weekend of October...

P.S. Not regreting my decision at all. Thanks for your help.

Take air...

I had a difficult time with level 6 also.
My instructor drew a smiley face on the side of my altimeter, and every time I went to check my altitude, I chuckled to myself and relaxed a little.
It helped me.

Stay safe.

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

I know exactly how you feel. It took me 7 jumps to pass level 3 for the very same reasons. I couldn't relax and I wasn't breathing. Some time in a wind tunnel helped with body position but I was still very tense. Finally another instructor told me that I should take a little more time on my exit. When I lean out of the plane, before starting the hotel check, look at the prop and then take a deep breath, exhale and then start my count. I do it on every jump now and it makes all the difference. Good luck.

In my 1st log book (the one they give students)

The 1st jump was marked "cleared to level 2"

The 2nd was was marked "needs to relax more"

The 3rd was marked "Relax!"

The 4th (which I failed) had RELAX RELAX RELAX written in bold letters, along with the sad words "repeat level 4"

Relaxing will come to you and when it does you will wonder why it took so long. Even after you "get" the relaxing mode you will tense up at times until relaxing becomes 2nd nature. The thing is though you will know you aren't relaxed and correct it.
good luck

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

My favorite thing to do to get myself or other people I'm jumping with to relax, is to make absurdly funny faces at them while exiting and throughout the dive. Nothing relaxes someone in an intense situation like a laugh. It takes your mind off of what you think you're doing wrong. I think people have a hard time relaxing because they're over-thinking everything.

Next time you go out with your instructor, smile at them, stick your tongue out, make them laugh, it's infectious.:S

Also, maybe you might want to take a trip to a wind-tunnel, I know tons of people that have been helped by a little bit of time there.

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Been there done that:S.....although I have not gone through the AFF program, I can relate to your relaxation problems in FF....To be told to just relax didnt work for me at all(even though I really tried). It just wasnt gona happen ....I backed myself up in my progression and started doing "fun" jumps...just went out with no agenda and did what I wanted to(stay belly to earth and try and be stable!)...That helped with the relaxation somewhat but I still wasnt there.....seemed a little too much like work:|

Holy shit...one of the things in my progression was to do a "ride the slide" exit.....hmmm...sounds like fun and I was quite sick of hanging exits....unfortunally my instructor thought i was supposed to do a sit exit and again it seemed like work.....I tryed to do a sit....almost got there...but not quite[:/]...questioned another instructor about that exit and was told NOT to ever sit fly in our student gear and that i was supposed to go out like i was in a "lazy boy" chair.....did that next jumpB|...poof...its not work anymore its just fun.....went belly down after a few and had a great jump.....relaxed and happy.

I think the advise behind my rantings are to loose the tasks for your lic and progression and to find away to make your jumps fun(relaxation will come from there)...only then proceed back to the tasks at hand and they too will become fun jumps :)
Never Quit and Blue SkiesB|

There has been a lot of good advice around. Personally, breathing technique and concentration are the two key things to use to calm down.

Concentrate on your breath, breath in through the nose and exhale through the mouth. Do inhale to your belly, not your chest. Concentrate on keeping it evenly and steady, close your eyes.
Then (just like Spikes post, but from bottom up) start to concentrate on how your feet feel, your legs, etc. If anything is tense, relax that muscle intentionally. Try keeping a bit of focus on that part of your body so it will not tighten up right after that. Having done so (eyes still closed), you might want to imagine yourself in a comfortable place. To get out of that, take a countdown with a defined goal.
Like:"I will be very aware of my surroundings once i open my eyes. 10... 9... ...0!" Open eyes, be aware! During all of that, your breathing should stay calm and steady.
This way worked wonders on me, and actually works fine in pretty much every situation. Just focus.
HTH:)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

(unless your on our old turbolet which used to have a toilet built in)

Did they have a stewardess too? I could think of several other active relaxation methods then.. o well, not so relaxing, but still fun... ;):$:)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Some good comments here. Someone has been trained by Dr John. My wife and I got his book, which I recommend - it has relaxation ideasand training strategies. It is Mental Training for Skydiving and Life by John J. DeRosalia.

I tighten and loosen my mussles after 10,000 to feel in control. Sometimes I make afake smile before exit - I think it does help and I think training is the answer - in a pool, in the gymn, at home. To say out loud ARCH when your training helps so you can do it in the sky too - the training is about mussle memory - if you do enough of it your body will arch whatever you are feeling.

Thanks for all the great advice. :)Also a chill out sky dive sounds like a good idea, just to take the pressure off. Hopefully when I get back up to my Drop Zone I’ll start to make some progress again. I don’t want to give up, and I know I shouldn’t having got this far. I appreciate the encouragement. Thanks, Gaza.;)

There is some good advice here, and I'm going to try to take it, too. I'm not doing the AFF, but I'm having trouble relaxing in my 45 sec freefall. I'm having fun, but it seems like all my practice on the ground goes out the window up there. I'm trying to relax, but it comes and goes out there. Trying to remember to relax, check the altimeter, relax, arch, legs out (I also drop my knees)... I'm too analytical and I can't seem to let that go up there. I know I'm tense. Maybe laughing will help.