kpipes

Two newbie-type questions . . .

1) Use of term 'swooping' in the context of a skydive. I understand the term as it relates to barely-above-ground, fast-moving canopy maneuvering, as in pond swooping and blade running. But I also see the use of the term in some folk's forum-postings as regards in-flight skydiving; is swooping in this context like tracking, or maybe moving fast in RW maneuvers?

2) I twice have seen the use of term 'woke' as relates to a new AFF jumper, exiting at, say, 12k
but not being 'awake' until 9k. What does that mean?

Many thanks. I am learning much from all of you!:)
"Birds make great sky-circles of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling, they're given wings."
- RUMI

Well, swooping as an "in-freefall" term is when someone dives out after a formation and "swoops" down to them to dock. It's basically just flying a delta down to them, then slowing down so you stop about 10 feet above them, then slowly sink down into your slot. With the whole "woke" thing, I've never heard that before, so I have no clue. Hope I could help!!

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

2) I twice have seen the use of term 'woke' as relates to a new AFF jumper, exiting at, say, 12k

I think this means that a new jumper experiences sensory overload just after leaving the plane and thier brain is thinking "what the fuck have you just done!?" It takes a little while to actually sink in.

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

I think this means that a new jumper experiences sensory overload just after leaving the plane and thier brain is thinking "what the fuck have you just done!?" It takes a little while to actually sink in.

Yeah, my understanding is the same, it refers to when you come out of sensory overload and realize where the hell you are :D
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks. My question comes from a recent posting where a new jumper was asking for opinions about whether or not he should go to SL, since he was having difficulty with AFF. I can't find that posting, as I was hoping to show it to you and his reference to jumping at Xk and then being "woke" a few k lower.
"Birds make great sky-circles of their freedom.
How do they learn it?
They fall, and falling, they're given wings."
- RUMI

Well, swooping as an "in-freefall" term is when someone dives out after a formation and "swoops" down to them to dock. It's basically just flying a delta down to them, then slowing down so you stop about 10 feet above them, then slowly sink down into your slot. With the whole "woke" thing, I've never heard that before, so I have no clue. Hope I could help!!

A swoop is leaving late, diving to the formation, stopping in your slot and then taking grips. All done in one smooth "Swoop".B|B|
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

And in the SST Racer the SST stands for Super Swooper Tandem. That the original name for the original design from 1974-75. Swooping was something you had to be good at when you were 40th out of a DC-3 small door on a 40 way and the base was 2-3000 ft below you when you exited.

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

And in the SST Racer the SST stands for Super Swooper Tandem. That the original name for the original design from 1974-75. Swooping was something you had to be good at when you were 40th out of a DC-3 small door on a 40 way and the base was 2-3000 ft below you when you exited.

Terry

thats got nothing over being Number 8.B|:P;)
Remster

Terry

I thought it stood for "Struggle, Struggle, Thump":$
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hey gimme a break, I'm a freeflyer, and don't do belly big ways. ;) But yes, you're right, and the few times I have done belly big ways, that's what I've done, I just said it wrong, cuz I don't know belly techs, hahaha!!! :D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Thanks. My question comes from a recent posting where a new jumper was asking for opinions about whether or not he should go to SL, since he was having difficulty with AFF. I can't find that posting, as I was hoping to show it to you and his reference to jumping at Xk and then being "woke" a few k lower.

That must have been my topic:
When to advise SL to an AFF student?
Check the latest posts though.. AFF rocks! ;)

I indeed was pointing to sensory overload where I didn't seem to register the first portion of the dive. See it as extreme tunnelvision. Like the brain that locks up and thinks 'what the fuck' without registering external inputs.

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

As I said, I pulled the reserve at 1700' after a cutaway and it totaled for 1400', finally deciding to come out of the container at 300'. I rolled over on my back to blow off what I thought was a PC hesitation and saw only blue sky. Observations by other jumpers and some supposition led me to conclude that the upper loop hung up, the cap rotated and the spring (a wimpy MA-1) extended down my back. I don't have a clue why it finally left when it didn't leave with me on my back. I was watching the ground waiting to bounce.

There were several minor rigging errors, non of which should have caused the problem. But they added up to there not being a rigger I trusted in the area. So I became one.

Terry
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Just the fact that you quoted Rumi in your signature makes you more than okay in my book. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.