Airborne03

Wind Tunnel vs. Skydiving

Hey everyone. My name is Jerry. I go to an aeronautical school in daytona beach right near skydive deland and near sky venture in orlando. I am doing a analytical report on comparing pros and cons of the wind tunnel vs skydiving.

i want to get everyones opinions on both. i have been to both the tunnel and skydived. i defenitly feel that skydiving is more fun because of the fun plane ride up to altitude, feel of the air, and especially the canopy ride...all of which the tunnel can not provide. however, the tunnel is good if you wanna train and have unlimited freefall as long as you hav unlimited cash!

well let me know what you guys all think....if you dont mind, i might use some of yuor opitions as quotes in my paper so make sure u include some things:
name
how many minutes in the tunnel
(and most importantly)opinion of which one is better

thanks for all your help!!!
blue skies! Airborne!

"Airborne all the way"
EL Cantador Rodriguez

Sheesh! This is like asking me if I prefer masturbation or fornication. Sure it's easier to build up a lot of time with the former, but it will never have the thrill and satisfaction of the latter. And I don't think whuffos will be all that impressed when you brag about how much of the former activity you have done.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

And if my local DZ didn't have it's airplane in the shop this weekend, I wouldn't have been making that post.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Skydiving definatly has the greater adrenaline rush - but when it comes to learning new body positions or techniques a wind tunnel is more productive.
name - Adi
age - 19
# of jumps - 330
how many minutes in the tunnel - 15 :( need more
(and most importantly)opinion of which one is better
- both amazing.

There are people that have flown in a tunnel and do AWESOME!!!! But then again, they may only be 8 feet off the ground. There is a big difference in being in a tunnel safe and secure, and jumping from 13,000 feet. You may do great in the tunnel but it doesn't compare to jumping out of an airplane. When jumping from an airplane for the first time, your senses become overloaded and you may forget a few of the "finer" points. Don't get me wrong, tunnel training is a great way to learn but to compare it to an actual skydive............not EVEN close. Tunnel training for "honing" your skills is great, but it could never replace the actual experience.

These two activities cant be compared.

In skydiving(160+), the earths gravitational force is pulling our bodies towards her center, and we use the 'air' to move around that line.

In a wind tunnel(30+), The primary use for the 'air' is to defy the earths gravitational force.

Two different operations on two different forces leads to a unique feel of each activity.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

In skydiving(160+), the earths gravitational force is pulling our bodies towards her center, and we use the 'air' to move around that line.

In a wind tunnel(30+), The primary use for the 'air' is to defy the earths gravitational force.

Two different operations on two different forces leads to a unique feel of each activity.

Well..uh..I beg to differ. I think they both feel exactly the same, in terms of forces operating on the body. The feel of both is that of a 120mph (approx.) cushion of air. There is no 'feeling' of gravity in freefall, any more than there is in the tunnel.

The emotional and psychological feelings of both are different though. And the view of freefall (except on a cloudy day in England >:() can't be beaten.

I think the tunnel can be just as much fun as freefall, in different ways. There are certain drills you can do in the tunnel that you can't do in freefall - and to some degree, once the full-on adrenaline rush of freefall wears off (as you get more jumps), the tunnel has other advantages over freefall.

However, you can't do bigways in the tunnel, you can't go tracking, and you can't swoop your canopy. In the tunnel, however, you CAN push your body a lot harder and really be extremely precise about your moves on the airflow. That's a buzz in itself.

I like both equally - I don't think one has to be viewed as 'better' than the other, any more than freeflying can be called 'better' than flatflying. We don't need any more pseudo-divisions in the sport.

I heard of a guy on an ASPD tunnelcamp who apparently became v obsessed with practising his tracking technique in the tunnel...Wouldn't even stop when his 2 minutes was up.

Then they realised his helmet was stuck in the netting...hehe

You say...

and

We don't need any more pseudo-divisions in the sport.

Sounds to me that you've already made your division.

"Flying" a wind tunnel is NOT skydiving. To say it is is to suggest that a memorized poem or verse is the ability to converse in a language.

You can have 1000's of hours in the tunnel and not skydive. That would make you a whuffo. Nothing more, nothing less.

I know it'll make you better at (insert practiced disipline here) but it won't make you a better skydiver.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Kinda like...

Which is better.

Tennis? or Steak?

Mmm?

LOL..yeah, kinda like that...

I was thinking more like men or women, since both belong to the genus 'human' but sometimes seem like different species...and neither is better than the other, overall.

Windtunnel Vs Skydiving

Man Vs Woman?

Nah.

You can skydive anywhere. You can only tunnel at the tunnel.

Men and women are near identical by comparison to Skydiving vs Tunnel.

We both have arms, legs, body, head, nipples.

All these 2 share is a prop.

So it's more like a whole body vs a hand..:P

t
It's the year of the Pig.

You can skydive anywhere.

You can't skydive at the supermarket...

All these 2 share is a prop.

...and 120mph relative wind...

...and an addictive quality...

...and the propsensity to affect my bank balance negatively...

:P

Apart from that they're as similar as...ooh... tennis and steak...

A wind tunnel is fun. I like to fly.

A wind tunnel is good for training. You can really improve your skills. All sports use training aids. In most sports, it is weights because strength is a primary factor. In skydiving, it is skill in the air.

It is not the same as skydiving. There are too many other factors in skydiving to consider comparing them.