nwdyver

Stilleto vs Vengence

If you are a Stiletto owner,you should try the vengeance on one size bigger that you have for one or two jumps and then drive the same size and comnpare.It is a question of feelings and they are completely different.Just be careful,the toggle input is a bit late after a front riser dive,like a velocity.Best way to make sure,contact PD and try one.

You may want to look at a Samauri too. Very close to the Vengence in alot of the proformance factors. PD does the manufactoring of the canopy so you know its quality work, Brian Germain designed the canopy and the Airlock so he's on top of the design of it.

What I did'nt like about the Vengence was addressed in the Samauri. The Vengence wants to seek a heading pretty bad and would dive on opening. I refer to the Sam as what the Vengence was ment to be. The Sam is the next generation Jedei so if you know how loyal a lot of Jedei pilots are, imagine that on a better canopy that PD manufactors :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The Vengence wants to seek a heading pretty bad and would dive on opening

You're not kidding! I found that if the Vengence opened even slightly off heading, it would dive that direction, requiring riser input to stop the diving turn. Even leaning in the harness hard wouldn't stop the turn.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I suggest that you consider the Samurai. It is a step up from the Stiletto but still not as much a jump as going to a crossbraced. I went from a Stiletto class canopy to a Xaos 21 crossbraced canopy. After awhile I decided to drop back to a Samurai. It gave a noticable performance jump compared to my previous canopys, which is what I wanted. It is very predictable regarding opening compared to the Stiletto. Turns faster and surfs longer with a lot at the bottom end of the flare. The biggest single difference is that the canopy has a more negative recovery arc and as a result will dive more then a stiletto.

I am surprised that there is no stock at PD of the Vengeance but I just looked and was like "wow!" but as a side, the classifieds section for dropzone.com has somebody listing a "0" jump Sam 95 and someone else has a 75 jump Sam 105. The only Vengeance I see at a couple of 89's and a couple of larger ones.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Nothing new here. I'd pick the Stiletto over the Vengeance, but the Samarai over both (Even though I am a HUGE PD fan). Unforetunately, when I bought the Stiletto, the Samarai was still priced a bit higher and we were in a crunch with all the gear buying. Now it's the same.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I really think the Vengeance is a great canopy. I often hear that people heard from people that heard that they open hard or have off-heading openings, but I don't see any of that in my 2 107's. In fact after about 400 or so jumps, they seem to open better than my old Sabre2. I rarely turn more than 90 off heading. On the other side, my teammate jumped a Samurai 105 for a while and tried my Vengeance. He said he felt that the Samurai opened quicker and was more prone to dive off heading. He also preferrend the riser pressure on the Vengeance, but liked the dive on the Samurai better. Either way, they're both great canopies. I love my Vengeances as a step before Velocities.
Oh, hello again!

I've got a few jumps on both (~600 on a Stiletto 150, almost 300 on the Vengenace 135), and I too really love the Vengeance. I've noticed that it seems to take about 100 jumps or so to set the canopy opening characteristics, and I've had absolutely great openings since then...the first 100 WERE a little unpredictable, and I'd have to agree with AggieDave's assessment that it tends to be ground hungry.
The main reasons I love the Vengeance are the floatiness in brakes and the swoops. I can ride the brakes and/or rears and come back from ridiculously long spots, and the swoops are as nice as I need...it's not a real monster swooper, but is does tend to float along really well at the bottom end of the toggle range, helping you get the last bits of distance at a really slow speed. Oh, and the airlocks handle turbulence very well, almost as well as a X-braced; you see very little spanwise movement when you hit bumps. Overall, I love it, and it makes a nice transition canopy for those moving towards cross-braced canopies.

Iceman
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

I suggest that you consider the Samurai. It is a step up from the Stiletto but still not as much a jump as going to a crossbraced. I went from a Stiletto class canopy to a Xaos 21 crossbraced canopy. After awhile I decided to drop back to a Samurai. It gave a noticable performance jump compared to my previous canopys, which is what I wanted. It is very predictable regarding opening compared to the Stiletto. Turns faster and surfs longer with a lot at the bottom end of the flare. The biggest single difference is that the canopy has a more negative recovery arc and as a result will dive more then a stiletto.

Scott C.

are you saying that the samurai turns faster then the stiletto? i have 2 st107s and they turn much faster than my samurai 111..... my old batwing 116s turned even faster than my 107s, flew great, just landed like shit.

are you saying that the samurai turns faster then the stiletto? i have 2 st107s and they turn much faster than my samurai 111..... my old batwing 116s turned even faster than my 107s, flew great, just landed like shit.

In my experience, yes. The demo Samurai I tried a few months back left me positively slack-jawed at how fast that thing would pirouette through the sky.

It easily chewed through 3 revolutions where my Stiletto would be trying to complete the second.

The risers weren't as bad as the toggle turns, but it was still nonetheless impressive.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Compare a Sam 105 vs your Stiletto 107 instead of the Sam 111. The taper of the Stiletto is slightly less then the Sam.

BTW, how did you get a 111? I thought sizes were 105 then 120? If they offer other sizes I might be needing a 129 this next year B|
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

;)Aggie,

Size to size they are not that far off. I still fly a Stiletto 135 and the Vengeance 107. Less size = more speed = longer recovery arc. The thing I do like about the Vengeance is the fact the riser load is much lighter than the Stiletto. Fords and Chevys my brother, Fords and Chevys..........................

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

In over 200 jumps on a smaller (way more sensitive too) Jedei I never had one take off like it did on my first 2 jumps on a Vengence. Nice thing is that PD did some work on the Vengence in question this summer and I'm hoping it took care of the issue. In the spring I want to jump it again and see if it flies better.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Can you guys spell "body position"?

Yup, and I can spell packer screwups too. I didn't have any sort of line twist fun with the Vengence I was jumping, but I did have 2 or 3 off heading openings. A couple rubber bands and a guy that stuffed the nose later, it was taken care of.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nothing new here. I'd pick the Stiletto over the Vengeance, but the Samarai over both...

Ditto that! I tried both Stiletto and Vengeance and ended up buying a Samurai B| Now, about a month later after first jump on it, I am sure this was a very good choice. A few friends who tried it were totally impressed also :)

Everyone who's jumped my Samurai--and Lotus, for that matter--has fallen in love with it. Trying to jump my own rig has gotten to be a struggle in itself.

Big Air Sportz: it's not a company, it's a religion.:D

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Compare a Sam 105 vs your Stiletto 107 instead of the Sam 111. The taper of the Stiletto is slightly less then the Sam.

BTW, how did you get a 111? I thought sizes were 105 then 120? If they offer other sizes I might be needing a 129 this next year B|

brian will make you custom sizes......ive seen ca couple of 109s also

he will even make ya a jedei if ya still want one

btw, i dont think theres much of a difference between the 111 and the 105, i still dont think it will sppin as fast as my stilettos, and believe me, i wring out the canopy sometimes........i dont have to go much below my shoulders on the stiletto and its honkin. im pullin the toggles down on the sam to arm stretch and it wont turn as fast. its fast, but not THAT fast. but then again, like i said b4, i could spin my batwing 116s so fast if i did it too quick id spin myself up in twists.

i could spin my batwing 116s so fast if i did it too quick id spin myself up in twists.

I put over 1000 jumps mostly on a batwing 134 and but also a batwing 116. Compared to a stilletto I found it to actually be slower in initiating a turn but it would pick up speed buy the end of the first revolution and go like gangbusters with the rest of them!! The Diablo I have in my second rig now actually is one of the fastest turning canopies I have ever jumped comparing it to the Batwing and the Stilletto among others...

I currently jump and love my Samurai for its turns now and think it is a faster turning canopy. Not the fastest I have jumped but very fast and very fun. Great bottom end with the flare though and a very nice swoop with the Sam.... Hoping to get a Sensi when it comes out though........

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"