schattenjaeger

Currency and re-currency training question...

At the moment I'm fighting a financial battle that I'm losing pretty damned quick...I got through AFF with some heavy financial assistance from my mother, whom I'll have to be paying back also in a fairly timely manner, so I was thinking I might be best off just taking a few months off, and saving up a bundle, but I was wondering what would happen if I did do that, as a student without a license but finished AFF. Would I have to repeat all of AFF? Or just some levels? Or would I be better off just financially battling my way through

As someone who does not yet have an A-license, you are still a student, at least here in the United States. You need to strive to reach the base level of proficiency; the A-license. As a student, at least by current USPA ISP doctrine, you need to make a skydive at least once every 30 days or you will have to recieve retraining. Go 90 days and you will not only be paying for a ground retraining, you will also be paying for a one-JM AFF recurrency dive.

Call your dropzone and ask them specifically what their currency requirements are. While your DZ ought to be following the ISP, there are still quite a few out there that have what they believe to be equally effective programs. That said, no matter what anyone tells you, you are still a student in USPA's eyes until you have that A.

Be weary of any tips you get on this or any other website, but you would be wise to at least check the posted credentials of those who respond to you before taking what they say as gospel.

PM me for more info on your situation if you are not able to contact anyone at your DZ

Chuck Blue
D-12501
AFF/SL/TM/BM-I, S&TA, PRO
Raeford Parachute Center School

i understand your predicament well as it took me 3 years to pay off my skydiving equipment and training.

the best advice i can offer is to a) finish up the training without too much of a delay as currency = success or b) stop and save up enough cash to pay for all the training and accomplish it in a few weekends.

if AFF is difficult for you, try some tunnel time in Vegas or Pigeon Forge or elsewhere. it is also expensive but is very worthwhile. i believe this may have singley been the most helpful part of passing AFF -- that and a good instructor.

blue ones :)
"dude, where's my main?"

I have gone 7, 9, & 11 months between jumps. Being a lowtimer, its not good as far as progressing in the sport. Each re-currency jump involved a full refresher (ground), and a level 6 aff dive.
At the moment, Im just staying current until $$$ lets me do more.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I'm not familiar with the USPA AFF rules reguarding this...but i think skymonkey answered your question already......but I'm gona tell you how it works for myself here in Canada...just because I'm yappy tonight :P....If I go 3 months without a jump...I have to do a IAD(not sure if i have to next time...having my solo lic)...this past year i went 5 months without a jump (winter)...returned...made one IAD(jump #21) from 4000....next jump at 8000...then back to my DZ's ceiling for solo jumps of 10,000....the year before..I had to work my way back up slower...IAD/5 sec/10 sec....so they could watch me deploying from the plane...then 8000...and 10,000.....but thats the IAD system....and I've been jumping for 5 years.....sad isnt it...5 years and only 33 jumps :$

OK, I"M DONE WITH AFF, AND WORKIN ON A REQUIREMENTS....

That Said, I'm going to check, but, staying current A or no A, requires only one jump per month.

Frightening, I've been jumping every weekend. But, manageable if you think about it.

One major beer nite out, 50 bucks (avg) in one month.

I'd think you can do this.

???

Jack
It's a gas, gas, gas...