TheJesus

Jesus...another line twist....

I'm sure there's a perfectly simple reason for this happening, but I sure cant figure it out. Here's whats happening.

I'm a new jumper (10 Jumps), I jump stdent rigs at my home DZ.

The problem is that out of those 10 jumps, I've only had 1 jump that I didn't have line twists. I get anywhere from 2 to 7 twists almost every time I jump. When I pull I know I'm stable, belly down and a good arch. I stay on heading during deployment, then when I look up....I get my standard twisted ball of crap.

There was 1 SLOW opening that I had, so I watched the freebag spin about 6-7 times before and during opening. I know twists are common...but are they that common.. or is it somthing I'm doing?? It's rarely the same person that packs my rig, and I've started packing it under supervision now. so I dont think it's the pack job.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Never sacrifice altitude for stability.
The Jesus

Greater love hath no man
than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

It could be uneven line stows, but it sounds like it is the pilot chute causing the line twists. This is something that should be brought to the DZO's attention and looked into. Even though line twists are easy to fix under a student canopy, they prevent you from releasing the brakes. If you open and happen to be facing another jumper, you can't (easily) steer away from them.

Derek

are you jumping the same rig every time?

That could tell you if its the pilot chute or something else with the rig, or something you're doing...

if you have the same rig each time, maybe its a mechanical issue... if its a different rig, maybe you need to do something different.

When I pull I know I'm stable, belly down and a good arch.

Doesn't say in your post, but are you an AFF or a static liner? This line makes me wonder if youre an AFF afterall, but in S/L jumpings the twists are almost MANDATORY ;)

I know twists are common...but are they that common.. or is it somthing I'm doing??

Well I'm pretty much a newbie, my years on the sport notwithstanding, I have only 57 jumps at this point. However, in 57 jumps I never had line twists. Not once.
So I'd have to say that line twists on 9 out of 10 jumps is NOT normal.
If it was, then I should have about 50 jumps with line twists.
If you stay on heading during the opening and you have actually watched the bag spin up during deployment, is it possible that the stows are too tight?

Someone more experienced could answer this better but I am curious as well.

Have you gotten video of your deployment sequence? Maybe with your next jump, you can get a videographer to video your deployment and then go over the video with your JM's.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

It may also be possible that you are tightening your chest strap too much, seperating the rings, thus causing line twists.

Try to not tighten the chest strap so much, I know that was the bastard behind my line twist problem.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh it's the dam chest strap.. I'm one of those freaks that like the chest strap cinched up tight. Thats probably what it is because I do it every time. And for those who asked, I'm taking 'standard progression' Thats what was explainid to me. My first few jumps were IAD's, the a few practice pulls. Now I'm doing delays and pulling my own. I almost always jump a different rig. but I've been jumping a javelin container with a Manta 180 or 200 for the last few. I never had video either.. Thats a good idea too.

Thanks for all the ideas!.

Never sacrifice altitude for stability.

The Jesus.

Greater love hath no man

It may also be possible that you are tightening your chest strap too much, seperating the rings, thus causing line twists.

I have no idea what you are talking about, please explain.

It is so easy to just say that line twists are caused by poor body position. This conclusion is usually very wrong for those jumping large, student type, low aspect ratio canopies. These canopies are very resistant to the bad effects of a poor body position, just like reserves are.

The things you should be looking to are: Too short of a distance from riser to first stow, stows too tight (I don't mean they should be loose), placement of the risers in the main tray (should not wrap around/against the bottom of the reserve), canopy out of trim.

These things can cause the deployment bag to lift off unevenly or get kicked into a spin as it gets pulled out of the container, or inflate unevenly.

I can't understand what effect the chest strap would have.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The things you should be looking to are: Too short of a distance from riser to first stow, stows too tight (I don't mean they should be loose), placement of the risers in the main tray (should not wrap around/against the bottom of the reserve), canopy out of trim.

He has 10 jumps with just 1 good opening on different rigs , I find it hard to believe that it would be packing problems with all of the rigs .

I find it hard to believe that it would be packing problems with all of the rigs .

When I pull I know I'm stable, belly down and a good arch. I stay on heading during deployment

I'm just going on what he is saying on his stability. Even a student should be able to judge their own stability, at least to the extent that stability is needed for student canopies.

Then again, he has said:

jumping a javelin container with a Manta 180 or 200 for the last few.

I think he means Manta 280?

Also, at 10 jumps he lists freeflying and CRW as his preferred discipline?:S
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I concur with Hooknswoop and Sundevil. I would venture to say the primary factors are 1) line stows too close to the risers, 2) uneven stows, etc.

One of the biggest culprits of line twists are the last stow being uneven or too long and/or having a double wrap on the rubber band. As the bag leaves, that stow catches and kicks the bag off unevenly. Or, being double banded causes additional pull canting the bag as its leaving.

I usually leave 18-24 inches of slck and fold it in the bottom of the pack tray. The last stow is only banded once, even if its a little loose. I do not double stow the first four (my bag has four closing grommets on the D bag - I'll use smaller rubber bands to ensure it is tight without having to double wrap) or the last, but will double stow those in between if necessary.

With my own gear, I place the D bag in the pack tray straight up and down (I don't twist the bag so the lines are at the bottom of the container, but rather at the back of the container) to ensure a good clean launch. I use a little larger than required slider to help constrain the opening rather than double stows and rolling the nose.

Hope that helps.

Don't forget about the pilot chute as well. A worn pilot chute, pulling a 280 out of the container, possibly combined with uneven stows (both in size and rubber band tension) will cause line twists. The slower time from bridle extention to line stretch allows the bag more oppertunity to dance around on the way up.

There was 1 SLOW opening that I had, so I watched the freebag spin about 6-7 times before and during opening.

when people watch deployment they twist their body or drop sholder which may cause line twists.

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

well i have exactly the same (14 jumps) the only 2 twist-free openings i had were an unstable opening (gues i spinned out the twist ;)) and another one in high winds).
So if anyone got some tips, please post 'em

ps. you use a freebag? isn't that expensive? or were you opening your reserve (mains dont use freebags do they?)

I meant D bag. Still working on the terminology. THanks for all the tips guys. I have a ton of things to think about and pay attention to on my next few jumps this weekend.

Much appreciated.

Greater love hath no man

There are two probable sources, you or the gear.

I'm betting that there are other students using the same gear. Ask your jumpmaster if other students are having line twists on the same gear. If so, it could be stows or an old line set. If not, it's you.

If it is you, it is probably bad body position. Experienced jumpers get line twists by dumping in a track or being lazy about their position. Sometimes people look up at their deployment and raise a knee subconsciously, different tension.

One probable cause is when reaching back, which raises one shoulder, and tossing your pc without returning to a stable arch before deployment. Toss it and get back to a good box with a arch.