funks

Jumping when you are supposed to be grounded??

I had a sprained knee in Eloy last year, and butt-slid all my landings. AggieDave leant me a great brace that kept me in the air. I didn't need crutches, but only barely.

When I broke my ankle at Perris this past spring I was jumping two weeks later with it immobilized, also butt-sliding all of my landings.

One gopher hole in that condition would have put me in surgery in both situations.

So, since I got away with it, it was great. I got to meet some great new peeps at the American Boogie and jump with them when the Dr. had me "grounded". If I had screwed it up, I would have hid for about a year.

So it comes down to this: "Do I feel lucky?", well do you, funks?

:)

I hurt my knee about 3 years ago due to a bad landing. I was grounded for 4-6 weeks and was supposed to wear a knee immobilizer. Doc tried to give me crutches and i said no way. I broke down and agreed to walk with a cane, but i wore the immobilizer for 2 days then took it off. I jumped about 6 days after the incident and continued jumping. My knee is still fucked up to this day because i didn't let it heal. Do what you want, but you already know what you SHOULD do.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Well from what ive read on these forums before the general consensus is that you should be able to at least be able to jog/run without pain before u jump.

I can't remember the last time I ran, let alone without pain... (Unless someone just told me there was only a couple of beers left in the cooler before we run out)... If I had to run, let alone without pain, I don;t think I could skydive...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

You get one chance to heal correctly the first time around and the rest of your life to skydive. Why push it? You've already waited this long, what's another 3 months? It's the off season. Watch some vids, do some visualizing and before you know it you'll be back in the air. After I shattered my leg I decided I wouldn't start jumping again until I could jump off a picnic table (not the bench... the table) without favoring one side over the other and run a block without limping or pain.

Good luck to you. I know it's frustrating being grounded for a few months, but think how awful it would be to be grounded for life if something goes wrong. Speedy healing my friend.:)

Fall in dove.

Dont forget you might not even have to wait a whole 3 months...docs tend to be on the conservative side when giving adice, you might find after 1 or 2 months it might be good enough to jump then. Just make sure you do all the physio the doc gives you

As I sit here reading your posts, my lower back is reminding me of a herniated disc that never healed fully and my leg knee is reminding me of a torn tendon that never fully healed.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent more time on the ground healing and I would have done a full round of physio therapy and not tried jumping again until I could run several blocks, etc.
Incidentally, during one onf those healing sessions, I taught myself how to swim.