Kramer

Is It Even Remotely Possible To Live...

What's important is the change in velocity. 120 to 0 and 0 to 120 both have a change in velocity of 120mph. There's no negative involved there. Delta V = 120mph in both cases.

Anyways, I remember many years ago watching TV about some car commercial was being filmed, and a skydiver with no opened chute landed between a few of the cars at the place and lived. I don't know anymore than that.

I think I like the idea of landing in a giant snowdrift best. If you go in belly to earth and the snow isn't too dry, you should leave one neat cartoon like crater in the snow anyways.
---
Michael Teator
Lexington, Kentucky

I have seen it with my own two eyes. A close friend of mine named Mike Crawford. Had a nasty situation on his hands with two out. Long story short he cut away from a perfectly good main to a reserve that had maybe 3sq ft of canopy out behind him. So I guess he wasn't at terminal but 3 ft of canopy isn't going to slow you down that much! When he cut away he was somewhere between 2K and 3K. We all knew he was going to die and didn't really rush to get him. By that I mean instead of driving at 70 M.P.H over to him we only drove about 65 M.P.H. He hit a tree and then the ground. Broke up just about everything on one side of his body and a good protion on the other side. To our surprise he was alive and awake (barely) when we got to him. Put him in the ambulance and a little more then a year later and a lot of PT he was back in the air again. That was the day I started to really think there is a God. It wasn't Mike's time to go and all the little things kept him with us. Somebody or something was watching over that man!
Dom

So... you gonna try it?

In the interests of safety I think it's important that we ask people to wear skydiving gear, and to use the gear they wear. Failure to do this could result in much higher fatality stats.;)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I see it a bit like this.

"Will I live if I jump without a rig?"

Tonto says "No"

Other dude says "Well, in 1943 some dude Blah blah, fire, could'nt reach his rig, blah blah, snow , trees, hillside blah blah, just right and only hurt his knee.

Tonto asks dude "Would you try it?"

Dude says "No"

Of course there are situations which may result in unexpected positive (or negative) outcomes. Are the likely? Would you bank your life on them? Try them? Would you have your student place faith in them in some miniscule way other than properly practiced procedures developed over decades?

No.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Going from 0-120 instantly WILL kill you, period.

Uh, I think you mean 120-0 instantly will kill you. :P

The other one will kill you just as dead, too.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Going from 0-120 instantly WILL kill you, period.

Uh, I think you mean 120-0 instantly will kill you. :P

The other one will kill you just as dead, too.

But it'd be 10 times as fun!!!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Ya know..I think we have to trust ourselves and be confident in our equipment and Emergency procedures. Once that is in place, we're "golden". If it's "your time" it's your "time"..it could be in rush hour traffic, on a hijacked plane, or LIVING your life and skydiving. That's my perspective.:)