peek

"Are you cut out for Katana?"

firstly its a simple pun on the fact that a Katana is the correct term for the Japanese "samurai sword"

After that I guess its hinting at the fact that its a HP canopy only aimed at those who really have the skills to handle it... thus appealing to those pilots who have those skills and want to be part of (or want to appear part of) a highly skilled elite groupe of canopy pilots.

Stiletto, Sabre, Katana...I'm waiting for the Cleaver

There's already one of those on the market... its called a Falcon 280... its big, heavy and square.

You ought to be looking for the Kukiri - very small and highly eliptical.

(edited to upload attachement I forgot to hit the damn button on).

I worry about its implied converse - if I jump a Katana I'll be seen as a good canopy pilot.

A fair concern, but could be applied to any high performance marketing. They're not trying to appeal to the novice jumper, but that very fact makes it quite alluring to them.

Like kids (and me) when they're told not to touch something.

Either way we can't fault the manufacturer for trying to appeal to their target audience.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Indeed, PD has been pretty good about educating skydivers about how to fly their canopies.

I would definately agree. I just sent back a demo canopy to PD. When I called to request the demo I was quizzed about experience and jump numbers and Kolla at PD actually called my DZ and inquired about my experience.

Not that I minded. I thought it was great that PD was doing that.

As to the original question: I agree with the first post. I think theyre targeting a specific group of experienced canopy pilots and the ad is simply asking if youre one of those pilots

JC

Does anyone have any Info yet on this new Canopy? I called Pd just to see. They said to check website. I did but its all video stuff from what looks to be Rantoul. I know they have yet to release it but they should have something on it...[:/]
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.