BigM

Super Observent Pilot...Busted!

This past weekend I am filming a tandem out of the King Air. Perfect launch, tandem perfectly in frame, and since it was the last tandem of the load I get the money shot of the plane nose down behind the tandem. It was the sunset load and as the plane came into view it was particularly picturesque the way the sun was catching it... I couldn't resist so I panned over for about 2 seconds and centered the plane in my ring sight, then right back to the tandem. I am in the hanger packing, the pilot comes walking in and he says "Why did you pan over to me when I came down past you guys?"!!! I was SO impressed. But the footage was awesome, the student LOVED it and even gave me a $20 tip! I still am in awe of the pilots eyesight and observation skills though!
Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

I had a pilot at my DZ that was great. (bummer that he left...Tommy we miss you) ;)

I was the last one out the door just doing a solo. I was enjoying watching the place fly away when all of a sudden I saw the pilot waving to me. I thought that he was just doing something in the plane until we got to the ground and he walked up to me and said "Nice Form!, Good Arch" I guess I never gave my pilot enough credit.

Jeff, I say this as a pilot... pilots have to have this kind of vision/eyesite. The eyesite quals for a pilot are very strict and are followed to the letter by the Aviation Medical Examiners (AMEs) A big safety factor.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Jeff, I say this as a pilot... pilots have to have this kind of vision/eyesite. The eyesite quals for a pilot are very strict and are followed to the letter by the Aviation Medical Examiners (AMEs) A big safety factor.

That's very true for those in the Air Force, but is it true for everyone else?

That's very true for those in the Air Force, but is it true for everyone else?

Not quite...Laser surgery is now allowed, and I've heard of waivers of up to 20/200 being granted here at the Academy.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Not quite...Laser surgery is now allowed, and I've heard of waivers of up to 20/200 being granted here at the Academy.

Well, I don't know if your rules there at the Academy vary from those for pilots joining the USAF as an officer....but it was very recent that they began allowing candidates with PRK, but they still do NOT allow candidates with Lasik. I've been watching this closely for several years. ANG follows the same rules. None of the other branches allow FW pilots with any eye surgery.

I used to have 20/400 vision, but after Lasik a bit over 3 years ago I test at 20/20(absolute worst, usually 20/15) each eye, and 20/15 to 20/12 both eyes. I recently passed the cutoff age for commisioning for active duty, but the ANG is still a possibility.

Mike

I'd love to if I freaking knew how to! I'm still trying to figure out how to compress a clip to a manageable size, and then my dumb-ass isn't quite sure how to up-load it.

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

Here's a still of a diving plane to keep you happy in the meantime. I wish I could take a short mpg of the sequence as well. Much harder to shrink than stills....

(2 years ago, 1st four way team)

edit: The original has very high resolution, if you zoom in on the airplane you can see the shape of the pilot's head.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Last friday the Pilot commented on my freefall once we were back on the ground. It really surprised me, I never even thought that they had any opportunity to see jumpers once they exited. Learn somethin new every day.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

On a solo sit I did over the summer, I was last out. The pilot dove the plane right after my exit and I watched this from my sit. I looked right at him and saw him wave at me. Waved back.... Pretty cool. B|

hell, I would have followed you too;)

Skydiving isn't scary;...but clowns...CLOWNS are scary!

I'd love to if I freaking knew how to! I'm still trying to figure out how to compress a clip to a manageable size, and then my dumb-ass isn't quite sure how to up-load it.

Get yourself windows media encoder. It's free. If ya want it on skydivingmovies.com, I can help with uploading.

Dave

I'm curious, Was the Pilot upset? It sounded like it...if so why?

Naw... he wasn't upset. He was just busting my balls a little bit, and maybe showing off that he had been able to pick that up!

Get yourself windows media encoder. It's free. If ya want it on skydivingmovies.com, I can help with uploading.

Dave

Thanks Dave- I just downloaded the media encoder and it looks like the ticket! I'll e-mail you for help (if needed) sometime over the next week or so as I play with it. Thanks again!
Jeff