skygrl70

stuck

Am I the only one that this has ever happened to??? I started my aff in July, completed in September. Completed my Skydive U, have one more Monkey Claw jump to do...the cold weather has arrived, still no A for me. Am I just a wimp?? Am I not a "skydiver" if I can't handle the coldness??? I'm only 109lbs and freeze if it's below 65!!!!! I have 32 jumps now and feel like I should have had my A long ago. AND I still have to pack!!! I will be getting that done this week hopefully. But I still feel stuck. I'm saving money to get to warmer climates this winter, but if I don't get my A it really doesn't matter anyway, right?? I've bought some expensive undergarments to keep me warm...but not warm enough for my tiny self. I feel a bit whiney here, but I WANNA JUMP DAMMIT!!!! Anyway, has it ever taken anyone this long to get their A???

32 jumps appears to be a little over the jump numbers to get your "A." One thing you've said in here regarding "still needing to pack" would lend me to asking if you are doing everything you need to get your "A."

You've had several months to learn and pass the packing portion. Are you in the AFF program... cause if you passed all seven levels, then you have a few G & H category dives to do.

While you're on those you can be fulfilling the canopy skills portion of your "A" card. Are you looking at your "A" License proficiency card and working with your Instructors and Coaches to jointly build a plan to completing not only the dive, but the canopy skills and landing requirements? You don't need to jump to do the 2 EP reviews or the packing.

On the other side of the coin, you're only seven jumps over the "A" license requirement... that's really not bad if you've missed some landings or didn't pass some dive flow requirements. You don't share the specifcs of what's left on your "A" license, but you should be damn close.

As for the cold... How bad do you want it?

Last year, I started my AFF in June and didn't complete it until the end of October due to not having any money. So, as of October 20th last year, I had 10 jumps. Then, the winds started to suck, and by February, I only had 15 jumps...not for lack of trying or not coming to the DZ though, I was there just about every weekend. While waiting to jump, I took my packing class, and eventually jumped my own pack job in January. I went to Z-hills in February and was able to get my A-license there. I don't know if that works for everyone, but there were instructors at X-keys I had jumped with down at Z-hills, so I was able to finish up with them. By the way, I had none of my Monkey Claw or Skydive U jumps in when I went down to Z-hills, I did all of my coached jumps down there. Z-hills is awesome, I can't wait to go back this February. I would just suggest calling Z-hills and seeing what they say about you finishing up you A-license down there. But come on...it's not that cold yet...i jumped when it was 18 degrees on the ground just to stay current for my trip to Z-hills...though I'll never do that again :P

Good luck finishing up your A!

alyson

team swooo
swooo #2

I think I finished my A around jump 42. I was more concerned with taking my time to learn, perform, and understand the requirements than just rushing through the A card. I got my B about 4 weeks after my A.
Yeah jumping in the cold sucks. Yes, you should be able to finish your A license at a different drop zone. If you are going to travel, be sure and work it out with the drop zone you are going to so they know to have someone qualified available to work with you.
Just dont stress out about it so much that youre not enjoying your jumps. Theres nothing wrong with taking your time to complete license requirements.