Tonedog1980

ERRR WIND

Man today sucked!!! I was about to make my thrid jump today, got up early even, but when I got to the dropzone they said it was to windy for students to jump ERRRR. We waited for about 3 hours untill it was to late and I had to go to work. Man, I only had to work for 3 hours from 5:30 to 8:30 and nobody would pick up for me. LOL talk about a depressing day lol. B|
Why live your life only to get to death safely? SKYDIVE!

Man today sucked!!! I was about to make my thrid jump today, got up early even, but when I got to the dropzone they said it was to windy for students to jump ERRRR. We waited for about 3 hours untill it was to late and I had to go to work. Man, I only had to work for 3 hours from 5:30 to 8:30 and nobody would pick up for me. LOL talk about a depressing day lol.

Been there n done that, quite a few times actually

Just remember:

It's always better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air rather than in the air wishing you were on the ground...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

You're not a telemarketer are you? :S

I think he meant "cover his shift"

don't feel too bad, I've had to sit it out do to winds a couple times. Once as a student it was ridiculous and no one was going up, so I learned how to pack.

Another time I had just gotten my grubby little hands on my first rig and I was manifested, geared up, and heading to the loading area waiting for the plane to taxi over, and felt the wind start to gust up. I didn't feel comfortable jumping a new canopy in winds I didn't have a lot of experience in anyway so I took myself off the load.

you have a long skydiving career ahead of you, the less you jump in high winds as a student, the longer it will be :P

I know the feeling. I have been planning on goin' for my tandem on Nov 30th for god knows how long. Made my appt last Wensday -checked the other day and the 15 day forecast showed great weather. Now that 10 day forecast shows showers off and on all day. Argh! It was set for a great weekend..

Concert Saturday.
Jump Sunday.

Now I'm left hoping that it goes back to cold but sunny ...
Please, weather God's, shine down on me?
:)

Where I learned to skydive, Palm Springs, Calfornia, we would occasionally get winded out and had to amuze ourselves doing other things in 'town'.

It was interesting how our DZO/Pilot/Instructor/S&TA (all wrapped up in one very competent individual) could monitor if the winds were too high for students. If the Queen Palm tree's fronds were bent straight up on one side of the tree then the wind was too high for students to jump. That was almost exactly 14 knot winds!

I remember many mornings waking up and looking out the window to just check to see if the palm trees were swaying or not! If so, I could enjoy another favorite of mine...sleeping in!

Patience, dear Tonedog1980. It's very annoying I know to sit there and watch the day go by without a jump. But it will all happen in good time. Take the 'spare' time you have a sit and talk with other skydivers....your instructors....or perhaps those with 'big-fish stories'. You'll learn more than you'll ever know. And you will have a very productive day anyway...despite the sorry weather.

Blues,
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

heh, I woke up with morning, still in bed and reached for my laptop. Was sound asleep within 5 minutes.

Not worth getting up early when the clouds are at 800 feet (overcast)

ITs that time of year where the weather in the US sucks if you live anywhere other than arizona, california, florida, and maybe texas.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

ITs that time of year where the weather in the US sucks if you live anywhere other than arizona, california, florida, and maybe texas.

Yeah, we had clear, wonderful blue skies yesterday at Perris. Those that jumped, though, had to deal with 18-20 mph winds with gusts up to 25. I guess the one jumper from the 'windy city' brought her blessing.....while the jumper from Anchorage brought the freezing cold! Yeah, CA was the place to be -this- weekend! ;)

Expecting the jumper from Hawaii to chip in today with their say! :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

It sucks waiting for the wind to die down. I jump in a corn field that is in the middle of some of the flattest land in Ohio (Skydive Greene Conty). Needless to say there is plenty of wind some days.

Patience is a virtue but it can also be a bitch!;)
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

LOL yeah I ment nobody would pick up my shift lol. Also that is exactly what I did that day. I just sat around and talked with all the instructors/experinced jumpers. Also watch a few of them pack their chutes. I have seen it done a lot of times and I think our dropzones next packing class isn't till March, but that is another thing im looking forward to.

I hear ya about waiting it out and being patient. You can't rush something that can posably kill you can ya lol. But it does suck cause I don't get to go alot. For one the dropzone is about an hour drive from my house, witch isn't a biggie, also I'm a broke MOFO :P, and Going to school and working takes up to much time. So, when I finaly get the chance to get out there it is a real bummer to miss out. But I guess one good thing about it is that I can't stand the fact of not atleast getting one more jump in before I break for winter, so I was talking to them about what good winter gear to get. They said, for gloves, that the same gloves recievers in football wear are realy good ones for skydiving also, and also said to pick up one of those neck guard things that hunters wear alot. So I think I'm going to take a trip to sports athoritiy and get my first pieces of skydiving equipment LOL. If you would call it that lol. But I also was talking to them about winter jumps and they kind of got me siked up to stop being a puss and jump in the winter also lol. So I think I might be making a few polar jumps lol. Anyways thanx for all the post guys.

P.S. WIND SUCKS :P
Why live your life only to get to death safely? SKYDIVE!