Kramer

New Skydiver's Question...About Reserve Chute

Just wanted to add that I have put over 1800 jumps on a "Spinetto", as some choose to call it, and the only time I have had to chop it was after a skysurf jump on which I failed to keep the board on heading during deployment. If not for that, I'd be malfunction free on my personal equipment (the total mal was on rental gear).

B|

566:6 (1974-'80), 3 were cutaways, 3 were handles that blew away on old gear, so I couldn't find them.

(2003) 11:0 Gear is much better, so is my attitude, I'm not the crazy a-hole I was back then.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

330: 0 although I have recently stepped to and elliptical canopy and have probably just ruined my chances of having a chop free skydiving career!:P

300:0 switched to an elliptical 100 jumps ago, and haven't had to chop it yet.. did have spinning line twists once, but was able to clear it.

Blue Ones !

Bryan

2309:19

All different kinds of reasons........ However, nine were intentional test jumps.... student reserves were due for repack. So, I added a tertiary chute, and practiced for the real thing. Reaction time got better, no hesitationary thoughts... JUST DO IT! I started doing those 'practice' cutaways, just after the first 'real' ride. I was 'in the saddle' at 300 feet, (Phantom 24). I had about 150 jumps. It was a total.... I could not remove the pilot from the legstrap pouch, even after landing. It was also at that time...that I learned how to properly pack a pilot chute.....
All the others were for 10 different reasons, ranging from garbage, (from packing in high winds), to losing use of the right arm, (shoulder cuff separation).... Oh, what a surprise to have hold of the puck, and not be able to do anything with it......from an extremely small material burn on the stabilizer, that gave too much of a turn, to feel good about landing it..... to losing the puck, (three weeks before the shoulder cuff went). The only time I decided to 'risk' what was there... was a 1050 ft BASE jump, which ended in a spinning lineover, on unmodified gear.
Practice random acts of kindness, and senseless beauty...

And, give money for Mr Douglas! www.mrdouglas.org

2860 - 0

Safe - Steady - No Rush Packing
The proofs in the numbers. No reserve rides! Except for that one I HAD to make to get my Tandem rating.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those that know how to count, and those who don't.

Perhaps not a proud title..... However... I think you should put the 1n120 into a truer picture.... I repeat, over 50% of the jumps were 'practice' reserve rides! Those 10 were done in 83-85. They involved 'dropzone student gear', and my reserve never was used for testing...... Of the 'emergency kind', only one was 'stupidly' caused... Packing fast at WFFC, in a 'brisk' wind, in order to jump the 'Connie'. I am probably one of very few to have a reserve ride, after jumping out of that lovely Lockheed! Strike another one off the list, when that shoulder cuff got pulled apart in the RW jump, (Hey..I did not let go, and it was a 74-way star attempt). Considering the fact that, from '85 until Piras died, (Then, I bought a Cypres), I had a LOT of 'humming it below a grand', I feel OK with the results.... I am still jumping, and feel safer than ever.....
Practice random acts of kindness, and senseless beauty...

And, give money for Mr Douglas! www.mrdouglas.org