sobertoday

I'm poor...Need advice from Pro's

Hey,

I have almost no money these days. I have 134 jumps and would like to start jumping again. Problem is- I pay child support and I am getting ready to go back to school so the money is really thin.

My question- What is the minimum number of jumps I can do a month and still be considered up to date and safe. 3 jumps? 2 jumps? I just want to get in the air a couple times a month, but wouldn't be able to afford more than 3 jumps a month (Rental gear cost, plus packing, and jump ticket).
Another question-
Because I can't jump more than 3 jumps a month, should I even bother skydiving? Would I be too unsafe at that minimum number of jumps?

I need serious answers from jumpers more experienced than me about this question.
Thanks for your time.

B

how long has it been since you stopped jumping?

if its been like 20 years, you may have to do more than 3 jumps in that first month to get yourself used to the new equipment, planes, rules etc.

but if its been like 1 year, once you get current, in my opinion, 3 jumps a month is ok as long as you play it safe... i.e. don't take up swooping. according to the uspa, 3 times a month is more than enough to keep you current.

I have 134 jumps... I need serious answers from jumpers more experienced than me about this question

I have around 140 jumps now, so I'm safe to answer this right? :P

MB 3528, RB 1182

I'm new to the game but isnt it one jump every 30 days to stay current?

i'm pretty sure it depends on your license
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I'm new to the game but isnt it one jump every 30 days to stay current?

i'm pretty sure it depends on your license

I don't think that he was really asking about whether or not he would be technically current, but rather if he would be mentaly, and physically ready to skydive, if he was only doing it 3 times a month.

I personally get a bit uncomforatable when I am not jumping on a regular basis. Too much time spent concentrating on preforming, and not having it come naturally, But then I only have like 65 jumps. Untill the fall/winter weather struck I was jumping every weekend not only for the fun factor, but so I would stay comfortable, and not forget saftey stuff,... anyways, I'll defer to the more experienced people's answers, when they come forth, of course.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

There is no clear line that defines "current" except the fairly artificial USPA license currency requirements. Too many variables. I'd recommend jumping as much as you can, and if it is 3 a month, try to make them on the same day.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

... if it is 3 a month, try to make them on the same day.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good point.
That will cut down on travel expenses.
Given your current financial situation, it is important to evaluate your lifestyle and cut out all expenses that do not contribute directly to school or skydiving or child support.
Sorry, but you are stuck with paying child support. Nor can you save much money on food or gym membership. Hopefully your school has a decent gym. Time spent in the gym is not deducted from your lifespan. Any time spent exercising will improve your skydiving.
Also any time spent reviewing earlier skydives or watching skydiving videos will improve your skydiving.
I see by your moniker that you quit consuming intoxicating substances.
Good on you!
When I look back on all the money and time I wasted on booze, I think "what a waste!"
It was not so much the time I spent drunk, but all the hung-over mornings-after when I accomplished nothing. Yes I made a few hundred skydives while hung-over, but my skydiving skills improved ridiculously slowly while hung over.

Learn to pack!

If you learn to pack you can save yourself a lot of money. If you learn to pack really good, maybe you can pack for others and make money for jumptickets while you are at the dropzone.

I am in the same situation as you are. School, childsupport and skydiving dont really go well together. So, I got a riggers ticket and started doing tandems. Now it works out OK...

Good luck!

I have 134 jumps and would like to start jumping again.

More information about your skydiving history will give us a better idea of what is best for you to get back in the air, or if it's best you start over in the FJC.
134 jumps from when to when?
Do you have an A or B license?

Ed
AFF-I 94
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Don't jump.

Skydiving will always be there.

Focus on achieving the goals you've set yourself, and when you're more financially independant - start again. Skydiving is very unforgiving. Best to stay sharp.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

If the choice is between paying for school or Skydiving then I'd suggest go to school. You can always come back to Skdiving. Now, if you have to Skydive then whether 3 jumps/month are sufficient to keep you current and safe really depends on you: First evaluate your skills. Some people might need more jumps than others to remain current in their awareness and canopy skills. Evaluate where you stand. If you doubt your abilities then that makes it simple. Take a break. Come back later. At 134 jumps you should have a sense for where you stand on this issue. If you feel comfortable with the thought of doing 3 jumps a month then you can enhance your safety and that of others by:
* Not jumping large formations
* Not jumping with those who are still working on developing their basic flying skills and awareness
* Flying docile canopies
* Planning your landings before hand and being extra vigilant in canopy traffic ( should anyway do )
* Being carful with you packing
* Running through all your emergency procedures two to three times a month.
* Doing the 3 jumps in one block and not spread over 3 weeks.

I just want to get in the air a couple times a month, but wouldn't be able to afford more than 3 jumps a month (Rental gear cost, plus packing, and jump ticket).

can you pack yourself and save at least on that ? you have 134 jumps, so packing should not
be a problem for you and you can't afford being lazy :)

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum